Foam Halo 4 Spartan Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I am going to put another clear coat on the torso(to start fixing it) and black wash the helmet and work more on my weapon..... PS, it isn't the battle rifle that I posted earlier.
So started to Re-plastidip
DSC_0169_zpsc221a0a6.jpg
Blackwashing
DSC_0170_zpsf02dfaac.jpg
DSC_0173_zpsd8f387de.jpg
DSC_0172_zpse069915b.jpgDSC_0179_zps13ca98a8.jpg
DSC_0180_zps71dcc708.jpg
I also never showed off my switches. I must say, they are pretty amazing. There is one on each side and they aren't visible from most angles.
IMAG0396_zpsfa2b0978.jpg
See, completely unseen from the front :)
IMAG0397_zps87d66455.jpg
Washed over the shoulder pads too
DSC_0182_zpscb9d8215.jpg

Sorry to hear about the tape problems buddy, im glad you figured out how to fix it per say. Everything is looking good :)
keep it up

Woop woop get those bad boys up! I need some inspiration!
I meant soon, but what actually happened is quite the opposite!
Here you go! John-612
DSC_01843_zpscb611df8.jpg
DSC_01853_zpsbfc966b8.jpg
DSC_01863_zps44596cef.jpg
DSC_01883_zps32862c30.jpg
DSC_01912_zps79cff4bf.jpg
DSC_01932_zpse820e774.jpg
DSC_0195_zpsfa19bd4e.jpg
DSC_0198_zps5de18797.jpg
DSC_0199_zps6ba7692c.jpg
The one below is my absolute favorite! My wife is too good with that Nikon!
DSC_0200_zps9abd8a1f.jpg
Blair(the dog :) ) rifle goes Pew Pew Pew
DSC_0202_zpsa559d0ba.jpg
I have a stick because my gun isn't done yet :)
DSC_0207_zps6366a3dd.jpg
Don't know if I shared this yet
IMAG0400_zpse9f90414.jpg

The suit and the pics are looking awesome! The paint is all its own, and I love your weathering job. Gotta love the fam willing to get cool photos for us. I roped my son into snapping a few suit pics today. ^^; Man, so many people finishing some great suits lately is really motivating!

Heeeey...is that a light rifle? :D Oooooo...

The suit and the pics are looking awesome! The paint is all its own, and I love your weathering job. Gotta love the fam willing to get cool photos for us. I roped my son into snapping a few suit pics today. ^^; Man, so many people finishing some great suits lately is really motivating!

Heeeey...is that a light rifle? :D Oooooo...
Thanks!
And yes...Yes it is :)

That is freaking great. I'm really liking the suit, excellent job! That shot you say is your favorite is mine as well, really has a halo-feel/look to it.

That is freaking great. I'm really liking the suit, excellent job! That shot you say is your favorite is mine as well, really has a halo-feel/look to it.
Thanks! I need to finish my Light Rifle and install the lights in the back of the suit then done! I have to have that stuff done by next Friday, but I feel like it's all downhill from here!
Haha Light-Rifle with Light-Wire? That's a nice idea :)
Thanks! but the credit for the EL Wire idea goes to Doc Daily. In his thread he shows off his Light Rifle and he used EL Wire (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/38427-Styrofoam-Weapons-*WIP*-(-many-types)/page7) (At least he is the first person I ever saw to use the EL Wire. I don't think Da Frontline Trooper did). I think it should set the standard for people making a LR honestly. The EL Wire belongs in it.

On another note, I feel like I have more of a Spartan II look going on. Spartan IVs from Halo 4 seem to be more streamline. I think I look more like a Spartan II. I'm perfectly fine with that! Might end up making more armor for different cons. I would love to end up having a room like Tony Stark's Hall of Armor. You know, like 7 different suits of Mjolnir standing on mannequins just waiting to be worn lol. I still need to add the UNSC emblem to the top of the helmet, the letters "UNSC" to the back of the torso, and I'm thinking about painting my emblem from Halo 4 onto the shoulder, if I have time (It looks like Navi from LoZ: Ocarina of Time :))

Thanks! I need to finish my Light Rifle and install the lights in the back of the suit then done! I have to have that stuff done by next Friday, but I feel like it's all downhill from here!

Thanks! but the credit for the EL Wire idea goes to Doc Daily. In his thread he shows off his Light Rifle and he used EL Wire (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/38427-Styrofoam-Weapons-*WIP*-(-many-types)/page7) (At least he is the first person I ever saw to use the EL Wire. I don't think Da Frontline Trooper did). I think it should set the standard for people making a LR honestly. The EL Wire belongs in it.

On another note, I feel like I have more of a Spartan II look going on. Spartan IVs from Halo 4 seem to be more streamline. I think I look more like a Spartan II. I'm perfectly fine with that! Might end up making more armor for different cons. I would love to end up having a room like Tony Stark's Hall of Armor. You know, like 7 different suits of Mjolnir standing on mannequins just waiting to be worn lol.

Amen to that, I'd love to have a variety of suits in a nice mannequin set-up. :)

And wow thankyou for that link, I'm almost tempted to start work on an LR aswell now, I knew my leftover El-wire would come in handy one day! :)

And don't fret about your suit, the S-IV suits look to be a little more challenging due to the curved and smooth design, I personally prefer the S-II look. But if you were going for an S-IV look you're not far off it, I think parts of the helmet could use smoothing but besides that the rest of the suit couldn't be any better!

Have you got any other projects planned after this?

Amen to that, I'd love to have a variety of suits in a nice mannequin set-up. :)

And wow thankyou for that link, I'm almost tempted to start work on an LR aswell now, I knew my leftover El-wire would come in handy one day! :)

And don't fret about your suit, the S-IV suits look to be a little more challenging due to the curved and smooth design, I personally prefer the S-II look. But if you were going for an S-IV look you're not far off it, I think parts of the helmet could use smoothing but besides that the rest of the suit couldn't be any better!

Have you got any other projects planned after this?

Well I intended it to be S- IV armor, but I (like you) prefer the S-II look anyways. The helmet was the 2nd foam helmet I ever made and I am quite pleased with it. There is a little warping above the visor but I'm not sure what I can do about it, but overall I'm happy.
After I'm done with the rest of the armor I may try for sewing an undersuit so my next con I will be a little more mobile. After that I would probably go for making Recon. It's been another favorite of mine since 3 (the helmet at least). I would pep the Recon helmet and make everything else out of foam, except the undersuit. I'm thinking something like Sarlume is doing in her build thread (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...tom-Undersuit-(pic-heavy)?p=677388#post677388) for my undersuit too. I don't think I'm near as good at sewing as she is, but I'm up for the challenge.

Wow that really came together very well - I like it!!
Thanks!
Oh I almost forgot, to anyone who remembers what happened when I un-taped my torso and it ripped up paint (for anyone who doesn't know read back a page or two), I found the issue. Apparently the painters tape I have says in fine print on the inside of the roll that if it is used on a surface that is already painted, IMMEDIATELY remove it after the painting is done or else it could bond to the paint it is taped to. I didn't know this when using it and left the tape on the armor while the paint dried to ensure clean and crisp lines.... Well, that was a mistake on my part. I have never had painters tape do that to me before and I am still blown away that it happened.

Well I intended it to be S- IV armor, but I (like you) prefer the S-II look anyways. The helmet was the 2nd foam helmet I ever made and I am quite pleased with it. There is a little warping above the visor but I'm not sure what I can do about it, but overall I'm happy.
After I'm done with the rest of the armor I may try for sewing an undersuit so my next con I will be a little more mobile. After that I would probably go for making Recon. It's been another favorite of mine since 3 (the helmet at least). I would pep the Recon helmet and make everything else out of foam, except the undersuit. I'm thinking something like Sarlume is doing in her build thread (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...tom-Undersuit-(pic-heavy)?p=677388#post677388) for my undersuit too. I don't think I'm near as good at sewing as she is, but I'm up for the challenge.

Hey regardless of warping, it's still a damn impressive helmet, like you said, people commonly pep the helmet rather than foam build, I assume because it's easier. Building a foam helmet from scratch is a pretty exceptional feat.
And the undersuit you linked me to looks awesome, If only I had payed more attention during sewing/textiles classes, instead of thinking it was for girls. Lol.

I have a question, you said this is your second foam built helmet, have you had issues with the foam warping due to the visor being a tight fit? I still haven't ventured into foam and am quite unsure of its properties in terms of strength, and what foam do you use?

Thanks!

I have a question, you said this is your second foam built helmet, have you had issues with the foam warping due to the visor being a tight fit? I still haven't ventured into foam and am quite unsure of its properties in terms of strength, and what foam do you use?

Thanks!
Go back to the first page or 2 of this this thread and you can see my first helmet. The reason I made a 2nd one was because I had a major issue arise from plastidip. What essentially happened was the stuff was starting to dry before it hit the foam and made this gritty texture. It was really bad warped. The warping arises from your angles not being cut properly, at least from what I can tell. The slight warp I have is there with or without the visor.
I also used a heat gun, very carefully I should add, to bend the visor more so it doesn't push the foam out so much. If you aren't careful doing this, you can ruin the finish on the visor. Some people say don't do it at all, but if done carefully it works really well.

Sure thing I'll check it out, and thanks for the advice, I think I'll mold or pep my helmet and use foam for the rest then.
Thanks again.

Also, I forgot to ask, where can one find the lightrifle template you're using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back