Foam Help/Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnavishPlum

Hello! I come to share my third attempt at making a piece of armor out of foam! I have been trying to make the right thigh for my Reach Spartan for a little bit but I am never happy with the final result.

Attempt 1: Used a modified temp of foam pepakura. It came out alright but was not up to snuff per say and was too big.
20180815_134954 (1).jpg

Attempt 2: I am not even going to show a photo. It was made in many small pieces that are ripping apart, it bent in half and it being help together by a clamp. Not pretty.

Attempt 3: But this one actually came out pretty ok. (sorry if kinda blurry, taking photo myself is tricky). I am unsure if it is not to small, but I think it is an ok size.
20190710_133242.jpg

I would use this one... but it has issues. I haven't really mastered Contact Cement yet so pieces aren't fully staying, mainly where the front and outer side meet. I tried putting some super glue in but it just looks messy, plus gaps exist in some areas. I don't know if I should cut some of it apart and try reapplying cement.

So, here are my questions, how do you guys handle contact cement? I feel like I either put on too much or too little. Plus, how do you handle gaps? I have a few that feel kinda big and idk what to do about them.

I'll post a better pic of the new thigh when I can.

That third one looks great! You are definitely making progress! What us the problem with the adhesive may I ask? When the two parts are touched, they should bond together instantly and be nearly impossible to seperate if the whole surface is attatched firmly(this includes over time and immediately stress testing). You have to apply the cement to both peices on the area that is being stuck together. The glue will bond to itself. It shouldnt matter how much you put on. You can gloop it on, but I suggest wiping it off so there are no pools or thick spots. Best used if lightly coated. Then let it sit for around four minutes? It should be almost completely dry, where it is not sticky to the touch of your finger. This is when it grabs the other end of the glue the best. If it is still sticky it will take many days to dry and not have a strong hold.

how do you guys handle contact cement? I feel like I either put on too much or too little. Plus, how do you handle gaps? I have a few that feel kinda big and idk what to do about them.

Seams. Seams seams seams seams seams. For good seams you need to join clean smooth surfaces, which is why it's important to have clean cuts with sharp blades. Then be super careful about aligning them flush with each other. The more care you take with your seams, the better off you'll be in the long run.

Contact cement is great, but you have to be patient. What you do is spread it on with a brush or piece of scrap foam, just like you were painting it on. Do this on BOTH sides to be joined. Then, walk away and let it dry. 5~15 minutes or so. This is the tricky part, though, because if you let it dry too long it won't work, but not long enough and it won't stick. A decent coat is usually around 15 minutes, though. The strange thing is the contact cement is not sticky when it adheres to itself the best. Weird.

I think the issue may be a mix of the wait time and how well I apply the coats to each side. The seams do stick, but the kinda half peel back leaving a trench.

This is most noticeable where the front part connects to the outer side. I feel like with a little force I could peel the two apart (which I may end up doing to try fixing it). The contact cement feeling dry is a bit of a curve ball for me. I always hear "it will be tacky"... it don't feel tacky. I think it may be partly from the stress of the connection, even with heating the foam this was a bit of an extreme curve to stick.

Out of curiosity, would it being hot outside have any affect on it? I feel like it may be stopping the stuff from actually fully bonding if heat is what allows the stuff to kinda "reset".

Also here are some different shots of the whole thing:

I live in Florida and it is starting to get hot. I know temperature is relative to people that live in places but 108 degrees Fahrenheit isbrutal. It shouldnt matter too much. Maybe you just need more on the edges evenly spread out. Also try applying another layer after the first one dries. This mah help. I forgot to respond to the seams. I use woodland scenics foam putty. This stuff works great as a filler, but breaks and crumbles if in an area that will flex, such as a corner of a joint of a leg peice. I then use foam clay to substitute in areas like this. Foam clay slowly cures into eva foam when exposed to the air. Only downside is it doesnt work too well when being flattened really thin. Both of these materials are sandable. Another good method is kwickseal. This stuff is great for small seams, but in the case I had, is not sandable, and if you dont get it perfectly smooth, there isnt much you can do about it. Sometimes if you are lucky your seams are glued together well and there are no gaps, you can sand the top and it will dissapear, or you game use superglue to fill it up

Also try heat forming the pieces into the curve beforehand, that will help.

And at the end of the day you can always fill gaps with kwik seal or foam putty or whatever you choose.

Yes try doing 2 coats of contact cement. Like dash mentioned. This tip comes from evil Ted, he makes some amazing stuff with EVA. The first coat tends to be absorbed a bit by the foam.
2 coats? I've been doing fine with 1 so far but I have been using an xlpe foam not EVA. Maybe I'll have to give a shot at 2 layers and it will stick even stronger! thanks for sharing this info.

2 coats? I've been doing fine with 1 so far but I have been using an xlpe foam not EVA. Maybe I'll have to give a shot at 2 layers and it will stick even stronger! thanks for sharing this info.
One coat works just fine and I assume is what most of us do, but maybe it will help in your situation, and sometimes it makes the difference

One coat works just fine and I assume is what most of us do, but maybe it will help in your situation, and sometimes it makes the difference
Thanks I didn't know if I was doing something wrong. I will probably stick to what I'm doing

Alrighty! So I decided to cut the problem seam and reapply cement. I think it came out ok!

A few gaps still exist just do to the shapes of the pieces being glued, but I think this will be much better! I am going to make the second one first, but I need to figure out how to "restore" the line that connects the front and outer side once it is filled. That line is supposed to exist so I may need to play around and see have I can do. The front is actually supped to bevel out from the side, but I forgot to cut the outer side with an angle so here we are!

Also need to figure out what to do about the top right area of the front, supposed to curve in a bit but just sticks out right now. No heat will keep that in place, nothing to hold it.

Alrighty! So I decided to cut the problem seam and reapply cement. I think it came out ok!

View attachment 273642

A few gaps still exist just do to the shapes of the pieces being glued, but I think this will be much better! I am going to make the second one first, but I need to figure out how to "restore" the line that connects the front and outer side once it is filled. That line is supposed to exist so I may need to play around and see have I can do. The front is actually supped to bevel out from the side, but I forgot to cut the outer side with an angle so here we are!

Also need to figure out what to do about the top right area of the front, supposed to curve in a bit but just sticks out right now. No heat will keep that in place, nothing to hold it.
Pieces that stick out and aren't playing nice with heat forming I like to use aluminum flashing between the piece and a matching 2mm craft foam section. It works a bit like armature wire but for a plate or armour.

Maybe try some lower density foam. I didnt use ant heat forming on my ODST suit, and the contact cement holds great. I have noticed that if my piece gets left in direct Florida sun for too long, the glue likes to soften.

I have noticed that if my piece gets left in direct Florida sun for too long, the glue likes to soften.
I hear that Shoe Goo is good for reinforcing glued seems. I used a little myself on my shoulders and it seems to work well after it drys its not going anywhere.

Pieces that stick out and aren't playing nice with heat forming I like to use aluminum flashing between the piece and a matching 2mm craft foam section. It works a bit like armature wire but for a plate or armour.
I was thinking of doing something like that. Use some kind of metal wire and glue some thin foam over it. Make like a frame and just bend the piece into place.

Now I just gotta make the second one and then add the detail layers!

Ok, I am gonna end this thread with a quick update to show both thigh pieces and knee pads!
20190717_000058.jpg

So I may cut some of the inner side out to make the circumference of the thigh a bit smaller, but I don't want it to be form fitting. As you can see I am a skinny dude. I plan to make the undersuit similar to LostVikingProps with upholstery foam and hope that between it and slightly large armor, I can hide my skinniness a bit and better scale to my existing helmet. Right now it feels weird walking as the inner thighs rub a lot so I gotta figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back