Foam sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senpaisquats

Hello all!

I'm currently working on a plan to start my Halo Mark V armor and I need a little bit of guidance. I've seen a few youtube videos where 6mm and 10mm seem to be the dominant foam thickness used, but I'm kind of just guessing at this point where they should and shouldn't be used? If anyone has some guidance on this or can shed a little light with a small list, or if I should be grabbing any other thickness of foam that would be much appreciated!

I think once I finally figure out what is going wrong with my new printer set up and such that I will be making some Youtube videos as well as documenting my progress on here. This is my first totally full armor build and first time using templates, so I'm very excited to learn some new skills.

Welcome to the 405th! Often people have their own preference of foam, which can vary based on availability, application, and brand of foam. When selecting the thickness of foam to make for the basic shape of armour, it can be a bit of a balancing game. Too thick and it's pretty durable, but for something like forearms or shins, can be hard to bend into those tight curves. Too thin and even though it bends well, can be flimsy. On top of that, people can use foams such as foam floor mats from hardware stores, or EVA foam designed specifically for props and cosplay. Often times the latter will be higher density and higher quality, at a somewhat larger expense though. That means that foam floor mats of the same thickness might be able to bend more easily due to them generally being lower density - though, I wouldn't say there is a huge difference.

I like to use 6-8mm foam to make up the bulk of armour (6mm particually for tight curves), but I will go up to 12mm for large sections which don't curve much, then like SpartanSweed, thin foam for details (I range between 1-3mm for those).

Welcome to the 405th! Often people have their own preference of foam, which can vary based on availability, application, and brand of foam. When selecting the thickness of foam to make for the basic shape of armour, it can be a bit of a balancing game. Too thick and it's pretty durable, but for something like forearms or shins, can be hard to bend into those tight curves. Too thin and even though it bends well, can be flimsy. On top of that, people can use foams such as foam floor mats from hardware stores, or EVA foam designed specifically for props and cosplay. Often times the latter will be higher density and higher quality, at a somewhat larger expense though. That means that foam floor mats of the same thickness might be able to bend more easily due to them generally being lower density - though, I wouldn't say there is a huge difference.

I like to use 6-8mm foam to make up the bulk of armour (6mm particually for tight curves), but I will go up to 12mm for large sections which don't curve much, then like SpartanSweed, thin foam for details (I range between 1-3mm for those).
That's how I'm feeling right now! I have 10mm, 6mm, and some thin 2mm readily available to me. I think for the chest it's definitely going to be 10mm, and most of the other details are going to be 6mm or a combination of 6mm and 2mm for detailing. I'll keep you guys updated cause I'm going to start doing some print outs tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back