Freakazoid's Odst Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakazoid

Jr Member
Hello all! you may call me freakazoid. This is my first day on this forum and im exedingly excited about what im doing. I found out about pepakura armor from a friend who was making his. I was so amazed that there was finally a relativly cheap option to making costumes. I have always been a fan of halo and the halo universe; specifically the ODST's. So now I'm attempting to make my own ODST armor. I am using pepakura files found on the Halo costuming wiki. And as a Complete n00b I will apologize for any mistakes and frustrations I might cause in the future now just to get it outta the way.

Here is what I have pepakura'd (not sure what the past tense of pepakura is supposed to be) so far. Helmet, Legs, Shoulder pads, Lower torso (the lower torso is split because in order to scale the correct length the width had to be way to small, customization will be needed) see the pics below...

Scaling: I have a very strange shaped body, im short (5'4") but I have a large noggin so scaling so far has been hit and miss. The lower torso is the only piece that doesnt work for me ...yet. Ive mostly had good luck just sticking a ruler to the part I need measured and eyeballing my demensions to that of the program, it seems to work ok. After I finish the lower and upper torsos I will post a pic of all the pepakura on me. Ive got Underarmor athletic wear that sufices for preliminary "underarmor"

Materials: 1 ream of 110lb cardstock

4 containers of Loc-tite super glue

Sicssors pens rulers etc...

I am very pleased with the super glue, you dont need much, but you only get one shot at gluing correctly, the stuff dries in less then 10 seconds.

Total work time elapsed as of now : 26 hrs.

Questions: Hang on ive got a few for yeh.

1. Im thinking about using the aqua resin and hot glue methods (cause I dont like the idea of messing up my lungs over a silly costume), have these worked well for others?

2. ^^^ If not, are there any other non-toxic methods available?

3. What is the best approach for inserting a visor into the helmet? (I forsee some pitfalls there I'd like to avoid)

4. How can I contribute to this community in a polite and professional manner?

Please look at the pics and let me know if there is anything that I should do differently.

I am very new at this and would highly appriciate any advice, critiques, and suggestions from those who are more experienced.

With many thanks,

Freakazoid!

Pics should be below (hopefully...Im not so good with this whole pics on a forum thing yet).

[attachment=5133:$dst1_001.jpg]

[attachment=5134:$dst1_002.jpg]

[attachment=5135:$dst1_003.jpg]

[attachment=5136:$dst1_004.jpg]

[attachment=5137:$dst1_005.jpg]

spartan404 said:
looking good keep it up! :cool:

dood your folds look great everything is looking good so far welcome to the forum keep it up here are some tips

dont double post

be nice and respectful and most on here are :p

have fun and thats all i can think of right now any ways i cant wait to see your progress and welcome to the forums friend :p

1. Im thinking about using the aqua resin and hot glue methods (cause I dont like the idea of messing up my lungs over a silly costume), have these worked well for others?

i used resin its not a problem if you have the right safety gear and it takes long term exposure to get cancer that what my doc said make sure if you go with fiberglass to have big safety googles and a nice respirator from home-depot they cost about 26-60 bucks i got mine and it works great

2. ^^^ If not, are there any other non-toxic methods available?

aqua resin is all i know you can use paper mache there are a few helmets that have been made that way and looked good

3. What is the best approach for inserting a visor into the helmet?

well most buy a HJC visor http://www.hjchelmets.com/ but if you cant fork over the cash get cheep clear ones and cut them with a dermal now a dermal will cost you 30 - 100 bucks you use the dermal to cut and fit the visor to your helmet

4. How can I contribute to this community in a polite and professional manner?

just be nice and respectful of others and have fun :p its a big learning experience so you have to work at it first any who welcome and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it. Glad to see another marine/ODST in the forums. But I wish you were going for a Halo 3 or wete style ODST. Oh well for a Halo 2 ODST not to shabby. Keep me (us) posted.

UPDATE:.... well, kinda.

Well its been about a week, this update is to pretty much say that I'm still working on it, but its been slow. Between orientation to my new universtiy, helping friends move, and an epic case of food poisoning, little work has been done. I did realize that I have to redo the lower torso as well, Its just not going to be the correct proportion to the chest, but oh well. I'm hoping to have all the pep work done within 10 days. *prays that he did not just jinx himself*

Freakazoid

looks really good for a first project, and way better then my first helmet turned out. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
-John-

Sorry about your food poisoning. Your work looks good so far. Hopefully you meet your goal of ten days. Judging from the time it took you to finish your other pieces, I don't think that should be a problem.

UPDATE: Fo' REALZ!!

Whew! OK! time for an actual progress report. The pepakura is 100% complete!! :cool: These are some pics that I took, and yes some things look out of place, I did not completely glue everything so that I could put it on and check the dimensions. Everything is taped together so it would stay on me for now. And yes Im fully aware that one of the shoulder pieces is upside down, but i couldn't really see what I was doing all that well, and I was really excited to see the whole thing done.

so here it is, in all its paper goodness.

Front
[attachment=5548:$dst2_001.jpg]

Left
[attachment=5549:$dst2_002.jpg]

"Darn you Evil Fiend!"
[attachment=5550:$dst2_003.jpg]

so thats it! let me know if the proportions look wrong!. Next step Resining!

Speaking of resining does anyone have any suggestions as to brand or technique, so I could avoid some pitfalls? I plan to start with the shoulders first, that way if I mess up its easy to make another one.

Topic merged with your old topic about...the same thing.

Please update one WIP thread for a project. Don't create new threads for updates.

23Magnum said:
Topic merged with your old topic about...the same thing.

Please update one WIP thread for a project. Don't create new threads for updates.

Whoops! Sorry, my bad! Won't happen again!

Looks good to me!

Also, some others have made full ODST suits with these files too, way back to last halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back