Freezing Silicone Molds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you freeze the mold, if you use bondo when it gets hot it can damage the mold it, the bondo casting would also be very fragile.

yeah, bondo has little strength on it's own. If you used minimal amounts of hardener, then you might be able to get away with it, But I wouldn't risk it on an expensive mold. Try a cheap sillicone caulk mold first, and if it works, maybe give it a shot.

I made some small silicone molds of a quarter, the reach detail thing on the vents, and a predator quill.

Just give me a couple of min and I will see how the come out.

BTW

The rubber is Oomoo

Yep, totally going to use rondo next time.

Here is the mold of the quill. the rubber is kinda thin so the casting was horrible

Next the bondo gave a lot of airbubblesto the cast.

The bondo captured a lot of detail too, but like Rvb18 said, go for Rondo

sorry if this is butting into someone elses topic but its better to do it here than make my own...what exactly is the difference between bondo and rondo and are the found in the same places the you can find bondo?

Marc Hall said:
sorry if this is butting into someone elses topic but its better to do it here than make my own...what exactly is the difference between bondo and rondo and are the found in the same places the you can find bondo?

rondo is a combo of fiberglassing resin and bondo. Bondo is striaght bondo. Go to wal-mart or automotive stores, they have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
STEALTH said:
why would you need to freeze the silicone mold?

couldn't you just cast rondo in normally? :eek

I dont know??

I just read it somewhere in the Lair, and he says you should freeze the mold so it ddoesnt stick to the rubber

almost nothing sticks to silicone. WTB if you do use rondo try to add fiberglass fibers in it, if you dont if will break almost like bondo

rvb18 said:
almost nothing sticks to silicone. WTB if you do use rondo try to add fiberglass fibers in it, if you dont if will break almost like bondo

Yeah but they are tiny casts, so I dont think they will break that easily.

But I will try to chop fiberglass into mini milimeter squares to mix with the rondo :p

You can actually buy fillers like milled glass fibers that add strength to the part. That way you can avoid the maddening exercise of cutting fiberglass into tiny bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back