Full armour in 10 days (Update Sept 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxpower

I wanted to make an armour since August, but many unaccounted for events came up (camping, birthday...). So I told myself, "I will have a Mjolnir armour by H3's release date, no matter what. I started the helmet yesterday and this is today's progress.

CIMG2677-1.jpg

Gonna start chest piece after assembling it. Plan to have all pieces assembled by Thursday, if not Friday the latest. Then detail and paint for the reminder days.

Wish me luck.

Maxpower said:
I wanted to make an armour since August, but many unaccounted for events came up (camping, birthday...). So I told myself, "I will have a Mjolnir armour by H3's release date, no matter what. I started the helmet yesterday and this is today's progress.

Gonna start chest piece after assembling it. Plan to have all pieces assembled by Thursday, if not Friday the latest. Then detail and paint for the reminder days.

Wish me luck.

good luck. lol only 8 days and something hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxpower said:
That's what I'm scared of. At the moment, it's kinda close....

Hey, if you miss the launch, there's always Haloween, not to mention all the halo 3 lan parties that should be occuring after release... Plus any random use of the suit.

And, you'll be ready incase the covenant ever try to attack. (also keep an eye out for those pesky storm troopers)

Ha, those guys got nothing on Spartans.
If I don't make it, I'll have more time, which will be nice. But the launch is a once in lifetime thing.

Anyway, update.

CIMG2678.jpg

helmet's done, putting together the chest piece.

You're better off just making a good helmet, instead of a rushed full set, if you're fiberglassing it (which you should)

Silverzippo93 said:
You're better off just making a good helmet, instead of a rushed full set, if you're fiberglassing it (which you should)

We'll see what happens...

On the other hand, update

CIMG2680.jpg

Would using white glue increase chances of warping? Gotta get working on the rest.

Wow, you're moving fast. Lots of elmers will warp it but a little should not.

Have you test-fitted all the parts to make sure it sits right on you?

Looking good thus far.
Make sure the parts are the correct size or you might look too small or, in some strange case, too big in your armor.
I'm surprised at your progress.

If you have time, go for Gorilla Glue, it's amazing for sticking things together. It's like super crazy glue.
I love the stuff.

Ha, nice triple post.

I've tried the helmet, it fits, but will require trimming. The chest piece is somewhat flimsy at the sides, so I didnt want to force myself into it. The bicep pieces are a bit bigger than the length of mine. Too late to turn back now.

Well, you're doing a good job and making nice progress.
(And that's been happening to me a lot, it's probably just my computer)

If you want this done by the 24th you will need to work on the glassing and painting from here on out for atleast 14 hours a day, not trying to make you lose hope because its still possible to finish but Fiberglassing takes a VERY long time if done correctly. I worked from 8 a.m. untill 9 p.m. a few days ago and fiberglass clothed all my pieces on the inside except the Helmet,chest,crotch, and feet. I did have to make a few trips for more supplies that day which slowed my progress but if you really want this done and finished properly you need to work extremely hard.

Good Luck.

Quick Glassing tips

If you havent searched already this is how I put it on

-Light first layer of resin on everything, you dont want to risk anything warping (especially helmet)
-2nd medium to Heavy layer of Resin
-Light layer of resin on inside (I did this step in case of possible warping that could come from the inside but I dont think others do this step).
-Fiberglass Cloth with a lot of Resin.

At that point your pieces should be very hard and durable and you can begin to sand the outsides and insides to get bumps out and then go onto painting.

Toftt Nightmare said:
If you want this done by the 24th you will need to work on the glassing and painting from here on out for atleast 14 hours a day, not trying to make you lose hope because its still possible to finish but Fiberglassing takes a VERY long time if done correctly. I worked from 8 a.m. untill 9 p.m. a few days ago and fiberglass clothed all my pieces on the inside except the Helmet,chest,crotch, and feet. I did have to make a few trips for more supplies that day which slowed my progress but if you really want this done and finished properly you need to work extremely hard.

Good Luck.

Quick Glassing tips

If you havent searched already this is how I put it on

-Light first layer of resin on everything, you dont want to risk anything warping (especially helmet)
-2nd medium to Heavy layer of Resin
-Light layer of resin on inside (I did this step in case of possible warping that could come from the inside but I dont think others do this step).
-Fiberglass Cloth with a lot of Resin.

At that point your pieces should be very hard and durable and you can begin to sand the outsides and insides to get bumps out and then go onto painting.
And you used cloth or mat? Cause apparently the only difference is thickness. The cloth seems woven and thinner and the mat more hashed together and thicker. Which would you recommend for durability? Which for speedy glassing?

Wow, great work, looks good.

I was also going to add there is always the halo wars release to look forward to ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back