Fun With Contact Cement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnavishPlum

Gather round young and old! KnavishPlum has a story to tell about your best friend and enemy Contact Cement!

It was a cold 1 or 2 hours ago EST, I had gotten an empty Elmer's glue bottle to squirt contact cement out of and had decided to move it from the metal can to the bottle. I decided, to keep the mess down (hyuck!), to pour it into a a plastic dixie cup and then into the bottle since the neck is small. Well, a quarter of the way into the pour a crack formed and the cement started spilling out into a puddle. Luckily I was doing the pour over cardboard so I just threw it out. I though, "Must have squeezed the cup to hard and made it crack". I proceeded to do the same thing a second time, not over cardboard and made a puddle on my garage floor. It was then that I realized what was actually happening! The cement was eating through the cup and turning it into soup!! I cleaned up the now second puddle and decided to just dump the remaining cement straight from the can into the glue bottle. I lost half to 2/3 of the can...

The garage smells like contact cement and my father and I moved the garbage with the contact cement in it outside so to minimize it catching fire (CC is quite flammable) and to keep the garage from smelling anymore like a sharpie exploded on steroids in it. So lesson learned... To make sure a mess isn't made if the cement eats through the glue bottle, it is sitting in a cardboard box... in a metal box... that is on a old EVA floor mat (it's a dirty garage one, no foam is being wasted).

My lesson for those who may not know and to those who can snicker... don't use plastic cups to tranfer Contact Cement... at least not the cheap dixie cups you use to get a sip of water at night..

I tried something like this, but just poured it into a pancake batter bottle(I'm blanking on the proper name right now...).

I dont know how the pros use bottles like this but not only did it start to dry (even though the bottle was sealed), it would not come out good because of noo air circulation, and the bottle caved in on itself...

It's hard to be convenient I guess. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back