GalaxyCon Info and Roll Call: December 2nd, 2022 - December 4th, 2022 (Columbus, OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Cbus local who has attended more than few Cons and events in the area I have given some thought to a dinner at GalaxyCon.

The Convention Center is in the Arena District/Short North. There are some sit down options around in the area, several bars, pubs, and small trendier places, but they are, well, smaller, and as such not likely to be able to easily sit a group of probably 30 or so once you add in handlers and friends and the like based on the 16 “Boots on the Ground.” The one place that does come to mind that might conceivably be able to handle a party that large would be Buca di Beppo or maybe Rodizio Brazilian Grill. It will also be a busy Saturday night in the entertainment section of Downtown, so what places that might be able to seat a party that large will be, well, busy, and neither of those two options is exactly a budget option either.

Honestly, in order to accommodate everyone’s different Travel, budgetary, and dietary restrictions I would recommend a sort of Pot Luck approach to a group dinner. There are actually a variety of seating options spread out through out the convention center itself, and there are several grab and go or quick service places near by.

For one, the convention center/Hyatt does actually have a food court attached to it. There is a Subway, Jet’s Pizza, Chicken and Egg, Hamburger Place, Noodle Shop, and a Greek place. Several of the places list a closing time of 5 PM on Google maps, but I know for sure that the Jets Pizza is open later and the Greek place in the past has stayed open as long as their were people wanting to buy food. (I have a story about it being like 11 PM during a Marcon in like 2010 and walking by and the little old Greek Lady still standing behind the counter and my wife asked her if they were still open and she asked “Are you still hungry?” )
South Café & Marketplace - Greater Columbus Convention Center

Across the street from the convention center is North Market. There are plenty of vendors who sell meals, like Hot Chicken Take Over, Ramen, Indian, and there is seating on the second floor and outside, dependent on the weather, but its just as easy to carry it back over as the Market is just across the street from the convention center. Additionally on the way to North Market is Mikey’s Late Night slice, serving Pizza by the slice and a burger place, for example. North Market does close at 7 PM.
North Market | Columbus, Ohio

It does look like the Exhibit Hall is scheduled to stay open until 8 PM Friday and Saturday night, which is surprising to me, and as such it seems like some of these options might not work if we want to have everyone present. However, I know I would be more than willing to stay behind and watch the Booth while the majority of others did an organized dinner earlier than after 8 PM.

Last edited:
As a Cbus local who has attended more than few Cons and events in the area I have given some thought to a dinner at GalaxyCon.

The Convention Center is in the Arena District/Short North. There are some sit down options around in the area, several bars, pubs, and small trendier places, but they are, well, smaller, and as such not likely to be able to easily sit a group of probably 30 or so once you add in handlers and friends and the like based on the 16 “Boots on the Ground.” The one place that does come to mind that might conceivably be able to handle a party that large would be Buca di Beppo or maybe Rodizio Brazilian Grill. It will also be a busy Saturday night in the entertainment section of Downtown, so what places that might be able to seat a party that large will be, well, busy, and neither of those two options is exactly a budget option either.

Honestly, in order to accommodate everyone’s different Travel, budgetary, and dietary restrictions I would recommend a sort of Pot Luck approach to a group dinner. There are actually a variety of seating options spread out through out the convention center itself, and there are several grab and go or quick service places near by.

For one, the convention center/Hyatt does actually have a food court attached to it. There is a Subway, Jet’s Pizza, Chicken and Egg, Hamburger Place, Noodle Shop, and a Greek place. Several of the places list a closing time of 5 PM on Google maps, but I know for sure that the Jets Pizza is open later and the Greek place in the past has stayed open as long as their were people wanting to buy food. (I have a story about it being like 11 PM during a Marcon in like 2010 and walking by and the little old Greek Lady still standing behind the counter and my wife asked her if they were still open and she asked “Are you still hungry?” )
South Café & Marketplace - Greater Columbus Convention Center

Across the street from the convention center is North Market. There are plenty of vendors who sell meals, like Hot Chicken Take Over, Ramen, Indian, and there is seating on the second floor and outside, dependent on the weather, but its just as easy to carry it back over as the Market is just across the street from the convention center. Additionally on the way to North Market is Mikey’s Late Night slice, serving Pizza by the slice and a burger place, for example. North Market does close at 7 PM.
North Market | Columbus, Ohio

It does look like the Exhibit Hall is scheduled to stay open until 8 PM Friday and Saturday night, which is surprising to me, and as such it seems like some of these options might not work if we want to have everyone present. However, I know I would be more than willing to stay behind and watch the Booth while the majority of others did an organized dinner earlier than after 8 PM.
If we want to go the take away rout for food outside the convention (Five Guys my beloved <3) I wouldn't mind being the shuttle. I would just need a few hands to help handle the food

If we want to go the take away rout for food outside the convention (Five Guys my beloved <3) I wouldn't mind being the shuttle. I would just need a few hands to help handle the food
im in for food, i know there was a lot of places when i lived there not sure what has changed since 2014 but i was wondering if we all were going to get together for dinner after the show...

Just wanna pop in here to clarify/verify a few things;

- Potluck: yes. This is the plan. Plan for this plan because it makes the most sense for how many people we have from different spaces.

- SIGN-ups: Sign up for things. Even one or two things. You need to sign up to receive a complimentary pass so be considerate and don't sign up for multiple shifts. Sign for one or two things

- Panel: Panel I am planning specific members for this event and will have a chat going separately for that this weekend so please refrain for signing on panels for now.

- Thursday, I will have all the comp passes for members and I am making the discount code available tonight on here. I have 16 guaranteed complimentary passes and those will priotize members/those who are signed for their shifts.

I apologize for my absence on this thread as I am on a completely different work schedule and only get the weekends to be social right now. If you have any questions please contact through this thread as you all have been and I'll keep answering as I can. Cadet is also extremely knowledgeable being this is a backyard con for him and his answers will be equivalent to mine since he has a direct line to me.

Speaking from experience, if you are running the Information/Public Relations/Q and A side of the table, I recommend being out of armor and wearing either your HOD Jersey, if you have one, or another 405th Branded item from our RedBubble Shop:

The Photo Op shifts are definitely meant to be done in armor, but It's just easier to talk about the group and explain our mission and even the various construction methods while being out of armor. Plus, it's easier to sit down at the booth not in costume.
I'll have to purchase one for sure

I just signed up for two things, one Saturday and Sunday. I won't be down until Saturday morning, so if we do have a thread to communicate I'll need that in order to get the pass.

Just wanna pop in here to clarify/verify a few things;

- Potluck: yes. This is the plan. Plan for this plan because it makes the most sense for how many people we have from different spaces.

- SIGN-ups: Sign up for things. Even one or two things. You need to sign up to receive a complimentary pass so be considerate and don't sign up for multiple shifts. Sign for one or two things

- Panel: Panel I am planning specific members for this event and will have a chat going separately for that this weekend so please refrain for signing on panels for now.

- Thursday, I will have all the comp passes for members and I am making the discount code available tonight on here. I have 16 guaranteed complimentary passes and those will priotize members/those who are signed for their shifts.

I apologize for my absence on this thread as I am on a completely different work schedule and only get the weekends to be social right now. If you have any questions please contact through this thread as you all have been and I'll keep answering as I can. Cadet is also extremely knowledgeable being this is a backyard con for him and his answers will be equivalent to mine since he has a direct line to me.
Where do we go to pick up the comp passes? I won't be getting there until later Friday evening

Where do we go to pick up the comp passes? I won't be getting there until later Friday evening
You need to come to me first to get your passes. So whenever people show up, contact me. I'm starting a discord thread in the main 405th Discord for the event this weekend for communication and planning.

How many props for the photo booth should I bring down? I was thinking both the nerf and boomco ar and shotguns

Last edited:
Just from my own thoughts, sounds like we will have the most folks on Saturday, so, that would be probably be the best day to do a big Group Photo. The Exhibit Hall doesn't open to the Public until 10 AM on Saturday, so, we could conceivably try and do it before the Con opens, if folks are up for that.

We could also do it on Saturday After the Panel at 1:45 PM? It might be kind of fun to havea bunch of folks in Costume do an organized Walk/March through the Exhibit hall to the Panel Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back