GalaxyCon Info and Roll Call: December 2nd, 2022 - December 4th, 2022 (Columbus, OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just from my own thoughts, sounds like we will have the most folks on Saturday, so, that would be probably be the best day to do a big Group Photo. The Exhibit Hall doesn't open to the Public until 10 AM on Saturday, so, we could conceivably try and do it before the Con opens, if folks are up for that.

We could also do it on Saturday After the Panel at 1:45 PM? It might be kind of fun to havea bunch of folks in Costume do an organized Walk/March through the Exhibit hall to the Panel Room.
As the camera guy I just gotta know when and where to be. I won't be in Columbus until 1am Saturday and I'll be glued to my phone all of Friday so I know what's up

It doesn't show any regiment channels, just general, off topic, sorry armory, artwork and gaming
I believe you need to be granted the "Member" user role in The Discord then (?). Post in the General section with your Discord name matching your Forum name here, and one of the Discord Mods should be able to give you the proper access.

Just an update. So due to complications with my current job, I am unable to make this event. Cadet will be taking over control in my stead and we have discussed aspects that have changed now because of this. Main thing I gotta handle is just getting the banner for the backdrop to Fallen before the event which shouldn't be hard. Sorry about that guys!

First post has been updated with some more information which is also copied here:

The Exhibit Hall Hours are:
FRIDAY: 2pm to 8pm
SATURDAY: 10am to 8pm
SUNDAY: 10am to 6pm

Those members who are volunteering to do shifts at the booth should be getting Exhibitor Badges which will allow them early access to the Exhibit Hall in order to help set up and make sure everything is ready to go for the morning. This is especially important for those folks signing up for the First shifts.

Some notes/tips For those Volunteering:
Working the Table: It is preferred you wear 405th Branded items, Outpost Discovery Jerseys, or more “Business Casual” attire. Failing that, Halo branded merchandise is also a good bet. If you want, you may wear your Halo costume, but remember this area of the booth is intended for interaction with the public and your costume might interfere with that communication. Please keep your attention forward-facing to engage the public as much as possible. Welcome them to our booth and ask them if they're familiar with the 405th. Explain that we are an International Halo costume and prop group that seeks to assist others in building their dream Halo costume. For example, our website houses a wide variety of tutorials, free templates, and 3D print files. We also provide members with an opportunity to wear those costumes at Conventions, meet Ups, and Community Events. For example, direct them to our donation QR code for Extra Life and mention our yearly 24 Hour Fundraising event for it.

Working the Backdrop Area: This is the area where you are intended to be wearing your costume and be available for pictures with members of the public in front of our Photo Backdrop. While in costume remember that we do not ever “Tea Bag” while representing the 405th, nor are we to take pictures in any threatening manner, such as pointing our weapons at a member of the general public or pretending to strike or melee them, per the direct request of 343i and Microsoft.

We will also need handlers in this area to organize any line for photos and to keep an eye on our members in costume. It is preferred the handlers wear a 405th item, but since we understand that our handlers might be non-members like friends, significant others, or family, if they can wear any Halo branded items, that would be a plus. Like the table, please keep your attention forward-facing to engage the guests as much as possible. Invite them into the space, describe our group if folks are interested, and promote the Extra Life donation QR code if possible. Donations are not required, but we appreciate anything anyone can give.

Panel: Saturday at 1:45 PM in the “Cosplay Panel Room." The exact location of the Cosplay Panel room is TBD. Jonah has provided a roster of members for the panel, but we encourage everyone who can to attend, remembering to make sure the booth is not left unattended. It will be a cool idea to have a procession of members march from the booth to the panel room to help generate interest and attention for the Panel.

Photoshoot: Tentative Saturday afternoon post 405th Panel. Current idea is to have the photoshoot following the 405th Panel, either at a location along the way between the booth and the Panel Room, or once we get back to the booth itself and do it in front of the Photo Backdrop.

Dinner Plans: Potluck style Saturday Evening. The Convention has stated that they do not want outside food brought into the Exhibit Halls, as there will be concessions available in the Exhibitor Halls. (That said I will still try to ensure there is bottled water and maybe some snacks at the table for Volunteers.) These exhibit hall concessions vendors might be an option for some, but will mostly likely not be able to meet everyone's dietary restrictions. Due to the Exhibit Hall remaining open until 8PM but many options in the area closing before then, a decision will need to be made on site as to when members will want to do dinner. I have already told Jonah that I would volunteer to remain behind and keep an eye on the booth if members decide to eat earlier in the evening.

Last edited:
Actually, room plans for me fell through.. :( Might look at staying in the hostel like someone else mentioned, but if there's any spots available for my tiny self in anyone's room, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Actually, room plans for me fell through.. :( Might look at staying in the hostel like someone else mentioned, but if there's any spots available for my tiny self in anyone's room, it'd be greatly appreciated :)
You're always welcome to join the Hostel Gang. We currently have (1) members!
2 spots open in the Hostel :p

Just updated my shift times as I am unsure if I will be fully ready by 6pm on Friday for the photo booth session. So I moved it to Saturday and will do 4-8pm at the photo booth with a variety of members so that the public can get a variety of pictures.

One question I have: Will there be a way to have photos that are taken by the public to be sent over to us? Do we have a google drive for said photos and maybe videos? We used one for Twin Tiers Con and it worked out well to upload whatever photos that were taken or found by members. I was trying, forgot to and now too late, to get a chip in my armor that they can hover their phone over to send photos but I don't know if you want us doing that anyway.

Do we have a google drive for said photos and maybe videos? We used one for Twin Tiers Con and it worked out well to upload whatever photos that were taken or found by members.
This sounds like a good idea! Was it the case that the public would upload straight to the drive, or did the 405th members go searching for anything they were @ in and upload the pictures second-hand? We had a drive for Fan Expo in Toronto which was very handy for pictures taken by 405th members.

This sounds like a good idea! Was it the case that the public would upload straight to the drive, or did the 405th members go searching for anything they were @ in and upload the pictures second-hand? We had a drive for Fan Expo in Toronto which was very handy for pictures taken by 405th members.
Isn't it? The QR code or chip would be implanted in like my chest plate and then people scan it to get my Social media (usually insta or twitter), then send the photos they get there. I then take it to the google drive and upload the appropriate ones. If you give them access to a google drive, might see some unwanted photos. Yeesh, chills just thinking about that. I just dislike looking around for up to two weeks for photos and then bringing them to the drive.

Just updated my shift times as I am unsure if I will be fully ready by 6pm on Friday for the photo booth session. So I moved it to Saturday and will do 4-8pm at the photo booth with a variety of members so that the public can get a variety of pictures.

One question I have: Will there be a way to have photos that are taken by the public to be sent over to us? Do we have a google drive for said photos and maybe videos? We used one for Twin Tiers Con and it worked out well to upload whatever photos that were taken or found by members. I was trying, forgot to and now too late, to get a chip in my armor that they can hover their phone over to send photos but I don't know if you want us doing that anyway.
Oh we should make a sign with a hash tag the public could use, like 405thGalaxycon. I usually just stalk the Facebook group for photos but giving them a hastag could help

Oh we should make a sign with a hash tag the public could use, like 405thGalaxycon. I usually just stalk the Facebook group for photos but giving them a hastag could help
Yes this is probably the simplest option. I was thinking the same thing

Really like the idea of a hashtag we give people. I've got a folder in my Google Drive I'll be using to dump any photos/video I take, and you all are welcome to use it as a group photo share. Here's the link if people want to do so.

I also like the idea of a coordinated hashing for the Public. Like Jeff, I am slightly hesitant to give the general public an open invitation to a shared Google Drive, but the HashTag seems a good balance.

I will get some signage made today or tomorrow with a HashTag and Division and Regiment Social Media information.

Lord Bert, Lord Erne, and Lord Elmo are enroute and will be in Columbus about 7 tonight. Where or who do we need to meet to get the comp passes?

Lord Bert, Lord Erne, and Lord Elmo are enroute and will be in Columbus about 7 tonight. Where or who do we need to meet to get the comp passes?
If everything goes to plan, I will be picking them up this afternoon when Fallen and I set up the booth area.

I will be back on site by noon on Friday, as Exhibtors can get in two hours before the public at 2 PM, and will have them with me.

Volunteers can ping me on Facebook or Discord when they arrive and I will meet them outside the Exhibit Hall and get them their passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back