Game development stuff :) new concept and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

rundown

Sr Member
Hey, thought you guys might be interested in this.
I follow Digital Arts and Entertainement, it's a course for game design.
I will use this topic to post some of my work I have to make there.

Anyway, I've had an assignement to make a low poly character for a fps game.
This is what I have so far, do keep in mind it is still a work in progress (pockets, zipper etc will be included in the texture later, the texture now is just a guideline)
I already baked some normal maps. Love to hear wat you think of it.

imperiaCharacter.png

Here is a screen with the wireframe somewhat
Shame the studio max viewports doesn't support realtime full res textures :(

Untitled-3.jpg

Looks nice, I would suggest making the vest more the color of the knee pads. But don't change the vest pocket color. And I'm not sure but the uniform color seems a little dull. Reminds me very much of something from Counterstrike.

Looks great! Do you have a specific polycount max, or just instructions to keep it "low poly"?
@Deus Ex, That is just the viewport render, so the textures aren't going to look great. It needs to be rendered with full textures, shaders and lights to get the full "in-game" effect.

it looks pretty good so far but i have to ask, if the only restrictions were, fps character, then why did you go with something so known or familiar? just wondering :)

I don't know exactly why but for the most part, I still find painting bump maps to be faster than creating a normal. :)

it looks pretty good so far but i have to ask, if the only restrictions were, fps character, then why did you go with something so known or familiar? just wondering :)
It had to be a realistic soldier.

Anyway, I had to make a lowpoly part of a city for my exam, I still need to ad a few more things to it and dirten it more up. But this is what I have so far. Yes, the buildings will be croocked eventually, they are currently boxy.
And I'll figure a better light setting out soon.
Other then that, this scene can be imported in any game as we speak. Due to it's tileable textures and optimized textures and polycount.
The whole setting with props (bins, crates,...) is currently 5419 poly's

Untitled-3-1.gif

great modeling, and is this some sort of website, or is it in a university? but anyway, props dude!

joker.gif

great modeling, and is this some sort of website, or is it in a university? but anyway, props dude!

Well we use a different school system here, but you could say it's a university if you live in America.
Here is the website if you want to check it out.
http://www.digitalartsandentertainment.be/

I so hope I can do a stage next year in a big fancy gamestudio. But I still have lots to learn.

Anyway, some shots of it currently.

Attachments

• bastia.jpg
    bastia.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 316
really cool man =D looks great
i don't know how you guys make 3d models, i tried using blender for about 1 month and still didn't get any of the symbols or how to make different shapes =P

Believe me, when I first made any contact with 3d software I was baffled myself. Bin a long way for me now and finally get to study it.
Funny it all started with games in my case. I was wondering fi I could make my own maps back when GTKRadiant was used xD

Meanwile I finnished my cityscene some more.

takingshape2.jpg

And a random tree with it's topology!

tree2.jpg

Everything looks awesome rundown ^_^ I hope I get as good as this!! I was wondering- when you UV mapped the fences does it work to model one plank, uv map it, apply, then duplicate it? So will the UV texture duplicate along with it? Rather than making 20 planks and mapping them all lol..
Thanks!

Everything looks awesome rundown ^_^ I hope I get as good as this!! I was wondering- when you UV mapped the fences does it work to model one plank, uv map it, apply, then duplicate it? So will the UV texture duplicate along with it? Rather than making 20 planks and mapping them all lol..
Thanks!

you can choose for an unique UV layout (then you have to make a new texture). Or you can choose for tileable. In studio max then is a option called "preserve UV's". If this is checked and you copy for instance a plank, it will look exactly the same. But if you made your texture tileable and you drag it somewhere else without it being checked on, the texture will move with it. So you can make alot more object that are the same but look diffrent.

Although it's hard to not make a repetitive looking scene with this technique. I end up making decals like crazy, to cover up the repetitive.
But the bright side about tilable textures is tha you can keep your assets (your textures) as low as possible in file size. You will need less space in your UVW layout since all objects can lay on one small picture.

Bin busy lately for academy.
We had to model a SubD console and paint a mall concept. Here's what I have.
The collor and sharpness is a bit bad. You know how facebook handles pictures...

419721_3254862543365_1621111628_2723912_1149728468_n.jpg

1DAE1_AerensBen_opdracht3D2_01_Wireframe.jpg

Had to make some new stuff as assignments. A retro high poly model and a speedpaint that I somewhat finnished. Still need to learn how to draw hands though. But They will show me soon.

1DAE1_AerensBen_model_Finnished.jpg

EndResult.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back