Gamemasters Moshi Monsters "Zommer" foam costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter plays an online game for kids called Moshi Monsters and wanted a costume made based on one of the characters in the game. After reviewing my choices I decided to do a Zommer, or at least the head portion, and put my newfound foam crafting skills to work on a scratch build.
First I carved the basic shape as a wide valley in the back of the foam sheet, then flipped it over and applied lots of heat, rounding and shaping it until I was happy. I then cut out large shapes for the hair and used them to hold the shape in place securely. I glued on ears, made a custom eye with a dot-it flashlight for an eyeball, cut out the other empty eyesocket and the mouth shape too. I also made lips and other details from 3mm foamie and burned in some details. Here is a picture with most of the work done and getting ready for final assembly and paint.
zommer-progress.jpg

Once assembled we added the final details and painted it. I covered the mouth opening with black see through fabric, this is where the wearers face is, you can see out, but it is hard to see in, and it has a headstrap inside similar to a construction hardhat. Here is a picture after paint.
zommer-head.jpg

My daughter is thrilled with her costume and has been a big hit so far. We went to a costume dance on Saturday and she won 2nd prize, and would have taken 1st had the Master Chief not been there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back