Getting Into A Fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on over, I'll fight ya!

Don't pick a fight with anyone... seriously. You wanna get an ass kicking, go to a MMA gym.

I know the feeling of wanting to test yourself, just to see how you'd do. Honestly, if you have no experience fighting, You'll lose. If the guy you're fighting also has no experience fighting, it'll just be a slapping/pushing/rolling on the ground fight, and .... you both lose. If you want to learn how to fight, do it with a training center, so you can learn properly.

Vexona said:
I'm a person who enjoys the sport of fighting, BUT I would never advise instigating for the sake of it...especially out in public =\.

Now that being said, I know intimately what it's like to want to fight and to see where you stand. I'm (admittedly) hot-headed irish stock and I feel best just after I've done a session of ground and pound or put someone in an arm bar.

Fighting for protection, confidence, strength...these are great goals, and a natural outlet. I second the thought of training with friends or a gym. I think a lot of people have 'fight' in them (a natural drive, aggressiveness)...and having that desire can fuel some positive training and mental discipline.

An MMA gym will teach you:
-footwork, head, and body movement
-effective striking tecniques: elbows, knees, straight punches, hooks, overhands, uppercuts, kicks, stomps, and so on...
-clinch work: controlling someone's body weight to issue powerful strikes or to get them to the ground
-ground striking: maximizing the mount, back and side positions
-jujitsu: guards, passing guards, defending passes and submissions, submitting via arm bars, triangles, kimuras, knee bars, guillotine choke, rear naked choke, and many more
-misc: confidence, conditioning, endurance, explosive power, breathing techniques, vs 1 or multiple opponents

If you're interested in training for good aims, I'll be happy to share more or help you gauge a gym locally.

I'm taken and your taken, but...I love you Vex. Thats awesome to see a female in the gym kicking ass and taking names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man, one of the things I do outside the 405th world is teach kung fu. And not that silly American crap with belts and roided up instructors, but actual, traditional, Yang style kung fu from the northern provinces of China. Our hundreds of years old philosophy on the idea of getting into a fight to test yourself is boiled down into one word...... don't. The moment you go looking for a fight, you're going to find that person that is a million times better than yourself. If you really want to test your limits and see how good you might be, do it in a controlled environment with someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. a martial arts school of some sort). And if you want the good stuff, shoot me a PM and I'll find a Yang school near you somewhere.

Just don't go looking to challenge someone. It's a guaranteed way to get in trouble, one way or another.

ERADICATORofDTH said:
Hey I know this sounds stupid but I want to know if I can hold my own in a fight. I've never been in one before, and I was wondering if someone knew the best way to get into one outside of school. And without getting into trouble with the cops of course.

Like DreadMullet, Adam, Malechei and others have said here, don't get into a fight with someone just for the sake of doing it, dude.

Like DM, I've been in one fight in my life -- managed to hold my own extremely well, and against two assailants (stupid druggies were hungry after smoking up and looking for some munchies, which I'd just bought) -- but if I can at all avoid such a confrontation, I will.

I'm more of the "lover not a fighter" type, lol, so I always try to resolve any confrontations or conflicts peacefully, through mediation. That's the best way, imho.

I agree with Kate that recreational combat -- sparring with friends, going to an MMA gym -- is good for building one's self-confidence and gives one an emotional "outlet". It also ensures one can defend themselves in such a situation that can't be avoided, but one should never use those skills against another if it's not absolutely necessary.

Looking for a fight just to prove your own self-worth will certainly land you in trouble with the law, and it's just not worth that.

Besides, why should you feel like you have something to prove? It doesn't matter what others think (I firmly believe this), what's important is that you're comfortable and happy with who you are. Your own opinion of yourself is what matters most.

A physical confrontation isn't going to prove that to any degree.

DYSTORTED INC said:
A friend of mine is taking Kung fu at Austin Kung Fu & Tai Chi. Shes almost a brown belt. :D

IN Austin texas :) What you doing with friends here?

Did you know Tai Chi is chai tea in reverse?

Adam said:

LMAO! :lol:

I'd never thought of it that way before, but now that you mention it... ;)

Actually Adam, chai tea as we know it originated in and around India as a medicinal drink used in the chi gung practices of Shaolin Monks (the first ones to put kung fu and tai chi together to create not just a martial form, but a basis for a long and healthy life). Oddly enough, the similarities in the names are completely unrelated.

In case you can't tell, I'm involved in the historical teachings of my school.

Malechei said:
Actually Adam, chai tea as we know it originated in and around India as a medicinal drink used in the chi gung practices of Shaolin Monks (the first ones to put kung fu and tai chi together to create not just a martial form, but a basis for a long and healthy life). Oddly enough, the similarities in the names are completely unrelated.

In case you can't tell, I'm involved in the historical teachings of my school.

Nooo... really?:lol:

Interesting bit of fact there, though. I honestly didn't know that. Learned something new today :D lol

Adam said:

Dude i have friends all over the country. She moved out there with here fiance, planning on coming out there when this flu thing subsides and seeing you guys.

And i love chai tea.

If you do decide to go ahead and get into the fight with someone, remember to keep a solid stance where you can't get thrown off balance, keep your guard up, your feet work too (a cattle kick to the chest will usually end a fight if you do it right), knockout points are usually the jaw and the back of the head but they have to be hit hard, collar bones break with about 4lbs of pressure across the midpoint, Your forehead works great when you use it to hit someone in the nose with it, and remember to be fast and move around! A stationary target is an easy target.

But also, be prepared to face the consequences. It is possible to give someone a run for their money and come out on top without the need to hospitalize them or send them to the dentist afterwords. You don't want to end up paying medical bills! Also, a bunch of kids back when i was in high school got into a brawl with some kids from a rival school over some dumb bullsh!t (stupid highschool kids :D ) and they used cell phones to set it up and coordinate the places to fight, etc. When the cops came to break it up they all got expelled except for a handful and those guys got suspended for the rest of the year. They were fighting about 15 miles away from the school and this still happened to them. Remember, it's not like the movies (or Scotland) where you can just kick the sh!t out of someone and not catch flak for it.

I agree with DreadMullet and Vex. I would take some of the advice from BFDesign to though. Depending on which way your going to be going. I think the nose is a very good stun point, just about anyone can get a bleed there if you hit it..Knowing from experience. Also, your anger level is what controls your fighting sometimes IMO. If you do get in a fight, never let yourself get pinned on the ground because, it's limitless what your enemy could do to you...

ERADICATORofDTH said:
I'm not that concerned about my safety. It couldn't be that bad. And I don't plan on fighting at school. Just maybe challenging them to a place after school. I think I am the toughest mutha out there, but I won't know until I get into a fight...
Why, arn't you a smart boy..... :cautious:

Do you even know how stupid that was? You could end up in the hospital.

"I think I am the toughest mutha out there." Right, sure you are, you'll see soon enough when you finish. Good luck, and what a real mature way to solve problems. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but seriously. Your willing to put your own self at risk? At least learn some form of martail art. I'm in Tae Kwon Do.

0k I'm going to say do not fight, first of all fighting is a wussy way out. Real men talk it out, seriously don't do it its stupid, I have a story and advice on why not to do it. I was put in a mental hospital for sucial attempts/thoughts and while there I met a young kid, say 15? He was challanged to a fight and accepted. However, the kid he fought turned out to be a ti chi student, and what happened? The kid in the hospital was placed UNDER ARREST for assualt, and he had his butt served to him. Your not cool when you fight, nor should you call yourself "the coolest muthaf*****" out there since fighting shows that you CAN'T handle being a man and ignoring it or walking off. I had gotten into a fight because my saftey was in danger, A kid threw me into the street and started kicking me, so I hit him with a trash bin and kicked him in the stomach and he suddenly stoped breathing and ran away. Did I want to hurt him? No. I hate fights it shows how you can't handle being mature. But at that point I felt threatend. Listen, you should only fight if you know that your life or saftey is in danger. Also, please don't think that by joining a martial arts automattically means you get to fight whenever, its ment to prepare you fo dangers and teach you self control, infact they look DOWN upon those who use martial arts to hurt someone.

So let me ask you this, How do you know hes not going to kick your butt, how do you know he won't have a gun or knife, how do you not gonna have the police there to arrest you? You have to think on this man Think about it. The kid in the hospital lost in 2 ways: 1 he got his butt served and 2, he was the one who had to spend 3 months in jail and more than 6 weeks in a hospital.

I am not trying to be mean or rude but come on man. Be the bigger guy and walk away! I don't want you to get in trouble!

But remember if you must fight, try to protect your face, stomach, and groin since this is where alot of fighters tend to attack. And if anything gets way out of control, just RUN and call the police.

Join fight club...
No don't do that... listen to Vex and Adam.
Thankfully I'm big enough and ugly enough for most people to avoid picking fights with me, but I've still been in my fair share. My one tip, never use more force than necessary.

Just because you can beat him up, doesnt mean you should. Why would you WANT to get in a fight to see how tough you are? Use a punching bag, or even a mannequin for god sakes just not another person. That person could be suffering emotional pain, and then you go and beat him up for absolutley nothing?
A kid was walking down the road one day, when he dropped his books. He wasnt popular at all. He was neighboors with the captain of the football team. The football player offered to pick up his books for him, and the kid was delighted. The kid was going to commit suicide, but he didnt. The one act of kindness stopped him.
What if the *random* person you are going to beat up is like that kid?
Now, if you arent going to pick on a little wimpy boy, and you are going to *beat up* a hefty person, you could be endangering your own life. No story required, because you "arent concerned about your safety". How could you type that without looking over going "lolwut". You cant not care about your safety, unless you are suicidal or something. That has to be the silliest quote Ive ever heard.

I've been in THOUSANDS of fights. I mean literally too. Not fist fights, but word fights. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. BS. Words hurt the most. If you are going to fight someone that ISNT suicidal in anyway, and can take a joke, use witty comebacks and remarks. Its much more efficient and people get laughs out of it.

Alright, look, getting in a fight for no reason isn't the best idea. Yeah, I have been in multiple fights myself, but every time is was merely self defense. I dont want to sound like a jerk and all, but this is a bad idea!

I'll add my two cents as a black belt in Kenpo, even though I think everyone else has touched on this:
Do not start a fight just to fight.
In fact, don't start a fight in general. If you have to defend yourself, I've found that even dropping into a kenpo stance makes them hesitate enough to make them back off and talk them out of it. (Trust me, I know).

No offense man, but going around thinking you're the "toughest mutha," you have a heck of a lot to learn.
If you're going to take up the advice of others to join MMA or some other fighting style, do not go in there with the intention to learn how to fight. If that makes any sense. Go in there for the discipline, the exercise, and the maturity that it will help you achieve. I'm so thankful every day that I've spent the last 12 years of my life in a martial art, it's taught me more than I could truly appreciate until now.

It's admirable you want to be able to show up the guys that are bullying the other kids, but do it diplomatically. Befriend the kids they're picking on and empower them by proving to them that they aren't what the bully is making them out to be.

There are many other ways to solve problems than to fight. And you should exhaust those first before you go to the next step.

My advice is to not fight at all, because it may turn out like this (most fights I see do):
fight.jpg

lol

Hmm, I always wanted to learn Chi Gong (Tai Chi). Just never had the time. I know the basics of Wing Chun though, so that should be enough in case anything happens.

Yea, from what everyone is mostly saying, Diplomacy first, then self defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back