glasscutter Mark V build (Fiberglass/Aqua-Resin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might want to get a few rolls in different colors. Trying to get an even second layer of tape the same color was hard. A few spots blew out a little when stuffing because they only got one layer of tape. Had to fix as I went. Making the second layer a different color would be a lot easier.

It's tips like this that I would love to see compiled into an appropriate place on this forum! That is something would never have crossed my mind and will save me a bunch of frustration in the long run.

THANKS!!!!

I thought there was a sticky for mannequin building here in the forum. My plan was to post those in that thread as well. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it again. I really need to start bookmarking different tips for future use.

definitely sticky worthy. I just did mine last week and I wish I would have thought about layering, too bad cause I will never go through it again lol I think duct tape dummies should be an activity couples do on those reality dating shows, thats how you know you can trust them lol

That would be funny. Being taped up definitely requires a level of trust. It was weird being totally helpless and unable to move much.

Not much for updates this week. Life is going to be pretty busy for the next week or so. However I did find a new reference! The action figure for Master Chief in Mark V armor from Halo CE. Got it ordered from newegg. The site also has excellent close up photos of all their figures from different angles. This will be a great reference for the shaping phase. http://www.mcfarlane.com/toys/product.aspx?product=4419

They also have pictures of all the other figures made. Here is the Halo link, its listed by date released.
http://http://www.mcfarlane.com/toys/categorytype.aspx?categoryid=5

No armor updates today. Life went and got crazy for a bit. On a good note, the Halo CE Master Chief figure got here today! Halo CE for the win!
20140327_185929_zpsfgmpx5v3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Warning if you are looking at my duct tape dummy. The elbows at a 45 degree angle make it almost impossible to put on undersuit top or upper arm armor parts. I will be trying later on to cut the dummy and make the elbow/shoulder removable. Not sure if that will work our not yet.

thanks for the tip, I probably would have done just that and had an angle in my elbows when making this (it is just a natural way to hold arms I think) Yay for people saving us time and duct tape! :D

Life has finally slowed down a bit. That means its update time. Got a couple batches done using only THX-6 thickener to attempt a bondo replacement. Apparently I should have reread the instructions. The first batch was done with a 1:1 mix. The instructions say only doing 1.5 to 2.5 ratios. I figured this out after applying, so the first batch never got really thick. Going to post the pictures just in case anyone wonders what would happen. Also all of the attempts were layed on really thick. My idea was putting it on really thick to see how bad it runs while drying. All applications were put on and left to dry staying vertical. Each picture shows a few more drops of thickener added and mixed. The 1:1 mix had about 18 drops put in at the end. The 1:2 mix had about 14 at the end and was pretty close to a clay consistency.

IMG_0645_zps326b9f52.jpg
IMG_0648_zps693da851.jpg

The next shot shows trying to build up a rough square shape without any form built up around it. Just applying a hill of it and using the scraper to scrap off the edges. As the photo shows, it ran quite a bit before hardening to the beta stage.
IMG_0647_zps31f8b43f.jpg

The second batch was done with a proper 1:2 mix. It came out better the second time with very little running while drying. I was also surprised at how smooth it dried. That should really help cut down on sanding and spot puttying.
IMG_0648_zps693da851.jpg
IMG_0652_zps1b0dc6f1.jpg
IMG_0651_zps69b93ae4.jpg

The attempt to add a raised rectangle without any forms came out a lot better also.
IMG_0650_zps2e91195e.jpg

For the actual armor building the bondo stage would be done in several light coats. Overall I am happy with the result from a 1:2 mix and using thickener. I might try buying some perlite from a garden store to use as filler later on. For now this should work just fine to replace bondo and glazing putty. The only thing left I want to try is sanding down the resin tomorrow. An order of 10mil Aqua-Veil arrived Thursday. That means next weekend will start actual armor pieces instead of testing pieces. As always comments, criticism, or tips are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0645_zps326b9f52.jpg
    IMG_0645_zps326b9f52.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0648_zps693da851.jpg
    IMG_0648_zps693da851.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0647_zps31f8b43f.jpg
    IMG_0647_zps31f8b43f.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 205
    IMG_0648_zps693da851.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0652_zps1b0dc6f1.jpg
    IMG_0652_zps1b0dc6f1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0651_zps69b93ae4.jpg
    IMG_0651_zps69b93ae4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0650_zps2e91195e.jpg
    IMG_0650_zps2e91195e.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 180
    IMG_0648_zps693da851.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 190
The sanding test came out great. Using 120 and 220 grit the Bondo mix sanded down far easier than bondo. The initial coats of resin put on sanded nice and smooth as well.

To check adhesion I ripped off some chunks of bondo mixture from the piece. The pieces came off with a layer of Modge Podge and cardstock attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back