glue question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdrock44

Jr Member
ive been looking around to see what kind of glue to use and it seems like there hasnt really been a definitive answer. i know that hot glue is supposed to work, but i dont really like that because it tends to be thick when it dries and burns you can get. i know that people say super glue, but what specific type or brand? also, does ordinary elmers glue work? because i have this elmers glue that is blue and is supposed to dry on clear.

thanks.

That should work, as long as it'll stick paper together and dries quick it should work. :)
Most craft glues are chemical resistant when dry so resin won't effect them after the piece is all stuck together.

Hot glue is the best, it dries fast, and holds strong. It's like you have a third hand for those tricky multi tab pieces.

The drawback to hot glue is it's hot, sometimes over 200 degrees so minor burns are pretty much going happen when sticking cardstock together. Its other drawback is its thickness, extreme precision is needed to to avoid bumpy pieces, important when you're putting small parts or weapons together :)

It's not thick as long as you dont over flow the glue. Just put a dab, sqeeze and it is almost flat, you just need a small bead sized dot. And unplugging the gun every 5 minutes makes it easier to work with, it keeps it liquidy, but less hot.

I used simple Elmers white school glue. work just fine. the only draw-back would be haveing to wait 30-60sec. for the glue to dry mostly but that just give you also more "play"time with the paper.

elmers 'School' glue doesnt dry as fast as normal elmers glue. use normal.. thats what i use... if u use elmers glue, make sure to wear glove or when sticking together, leftover glue from no glove fingers , will turn black and stick onto ur stock paper.

yea i tried making a piece with hot glue and i liked it because it dried so fast but i probably put too much on because it was thick and bumpy in some areas. also there were 'cobwebs' everywhere, which was a pain. the elmers glue was cool because it wasnt hot and there were no problems with it being thick. but it took a while to dry. i guess each has its pros ad cons. i guess i will just have to figure out what i like.

NullARC suggested Nonflammable Contact Cement to glue card stock together. I can't agree more. It's easy to apply, strong, relatively cheap, and easy to clean up. I can't recommend this stuff strongly enough. It's better than regular glue, thinner than hot glue, cheaper than super glue, and well worth it in my opinion. I use q-tips to dab the glue onto the tabs. Then I apply a little pressure and within a few seconds (4-5), it's stuck good!
Hot glue would be my second choice, but it has a thickness. When you start getting into those tight spots, the tip of the glue gun sometimes prevents you from getting a good thin coat of glue on the tab. And with my glue gun, it's inconsistent. I suppose if I bought a better glue gun I wouldn't have that problem, but then that puts the price up higher than the contact cement.
The quart of glue I bought for $10 will probably be enough for me to make thousands and thousands of sets of pep armor. And still give me enough to glue laminate to my counter tops! hehe.

I simply used hot glue. But the hotness.... its hot :p. I have a burn on my finger that is now perfectly flat. Ask Piehobo28. I also have some bumps on my pep peices, but those can go away when I glass.

Simply saying, Hot Glue is easy, but dangerous and can make bumps.

that DAP: Nonflammable Contact Cement sounds good. maybe i'll try to get some of that. if not maybe i'll use rubber cement. but i do have another question. does the rubber cement hold up against resin?

thanks for all the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back