Glue?

Marcus

I got "Weld Bond" from Hobby Lobby, and I also have Contact cement from the Super Glue brand, would either of these be good enough to keep pieces together? Thanks

Pieces of what? Foam? Cardstock? 3D printed pieces and in what material?

We need more information and specifics if we are going to be able to help you.

The thing to look out for when using contact cement on foam is the drying time. I've tried LePage contact cement. If that's the stuff you have I wouldn't recommend using it. Not only is waiting 20+ minutes for the stuff to dry a terribly impractical way to build foam, but it requires multiple coats to make a secure connection. And that "secure" connection they promised was quite weak.
1693408086226.png

Personally, I used Barge contact cement. I bought it from amazon and it works great! It's always best practice to buy a few different kinds of glue and do some tests, but here are the things I like about Barge:
-quick drying time (usually around 2 minutes, up to 5)
-only requires one coat
-ultra strong, If I need to break a seam the foam will rip before the glue comes apart.
1693408121395.png

At the end of the day, it doesn't necessarily matter what brand you use and some brand are not available in certain regions. It is important that you try a few different kinds of glue to find one that suits your preferences. Some people are more fond of hot glue, others like contact cement, and I've heard of some people using super glue too.

Another important tip is to pay attention to any safety labels! Often contact cement makes vapours that are harmful to breathe in. Make sure you use an organic vapour respirator if the glue requires it.

This thread is more than 8 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back