Gonna tackle an Elite Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about making the different arm and leg pieces out of chicken wire or something similar then put the muscles on the frame with foam. After all the pieces are done you could sew them into a body suit. Does this make sense? Im still trying to draw it all out so it will make more sense.

Padding the inside of the frame could make it fit since the pieces will be big and it will also prevent you from getting hurt from the wire.

For the head, pepakura the head and neck then resin and fiberglass and cover with the same material as the body. I want to make the helmet seperate so i can change it if I want. I might not make the mandibels (sp?) moveable instead put a voice box in there with elite sounds. WORT WORT WORT!

Sarge Christi, your thread was a major help! How is yours coming along?

EDIT: I found some vinyl fabric which may be good to use for the skin. Id have to see it in person to make sure though.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CAT...PRODID=prd19502

Damn. That alien head was bloody awesome.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, it definitely has the makings of a very nice costume!

Ok so I was going over some ideas today and doing some more skectching and scrapped the wire idea. I was going to try and craft it out of foam but the foam I was looking at was way to expensive.

So iam going out tomorrow to get my supplies: a body suit that I can sew muscles on made from foam. Then cover the body suit and muscles with a "skin" material. That will form the base and add removable armor on top. I have some sketches that will elaborate on my idea that I can scan either tonight or tomorrow.

What iam thinking I will need for the body:
-Bodysuit
-foam
-materials for werewolf stilts
-Fabric for skin

For the armor and head:
-Cardstock
-Resin
-Gummy-like substance to make the inside of the mouth look real (any ideas?)
-See-through fabric for the eye holes (the kind where you cant see in but you can see out)

did we ever decide on what scale to use in pepakura?

Hopefully this works!

Yeah, I may buy an Incredibles halloween costume that is really big and then fill it out with foam. I'm gonna either use vinyl or airbrushing for the skin. As for the pepakura head, Im probably just gonna use the paper as the base and build on top of that. I'm just using the paper as a skeleton so to speak. The chest armor is going to big a big build up piece so that, like Sarge Christi said, will be up to my shoulders. I will wear the bmx helmet with alien head attached so that the head sticks out over the shoulders a bunch. I'm gonna try to figure out a way to make it look as though my arms are higher than they actually are so they look like they come out of the costume's shoulders.

I'm actually cutting the pepakura elite head right now, so I'll try to get pix tomorrow night. I'm going away to Snowball (an anti-drug camp thing) for the weekend and my friends and I are gonna work on our Halo script and possible costume designs, so I'll update on monday with details as to what we figure out. After I finish the Elite, I have some really good ideas for the Brute costume, so everyone be ready!

NOTE: I'm not going to snowball because I'm a drug fiend, it's just a camp that the schools sponsor. Some of you probably have one at your school. It's not just drugs, they tackle a lot of issues. It's technically a leadership camp. whatever. Just wanted to clear that up.

Updates soon!

Yeah I was thinking about finding a muscular costume since it wont be too expensive. You could try and bulk up the arms alot so the seem as if they are coming out of the shoulders, then add the shoulder armor to hide it a bit. I am planning on add alot of foam to the chest so it could be higher up and look more porportional. Iam just gonna assemble the pepakura head and neck then resin it and cover with the skin fabric or paint it. The BMX helmet is a good idea, i might do that too. I was hoping to put a fan and a voice box in there too.

I also may need to make the stilts a little longer since the ones in the video look a little short for an elite's legs, what do you think? And the part at the back may need to stick out more too.

Good luck at Snowball! Hopefully I can get something done tomorrow and show some pics soon too.

Well, I'm gonna take some liberties with the length of the leg. I want to be able to move pretty well on the stilts and if I make them too big, they'll probably break. I'm gonna exaggerate (sp?) the joints by bulking up the knee and the back of the stilt so the bends look more extreme.

As for the muscle suit, I'm just gonna have my cousin get me one because she works at party city. I may also try to get her to get me some sort of voice changer to deepen the pitch of my voice to be more elite-like. But I don't have too much of a need for a voice thing because this is for my movie and I can just add the voices in later. But it'd still be fun to have voices on it. We'll see.

I'm trying to figure out how to lengthen the arms while still being able to operate them. I may buy two of those robot arm things they have at toy stores and modify them.

I didnt think about them breaking but exaggerating the back is a good idea!

I had an idea for the arms, have the lower arm that attacjes to the hand a seperate piece so it can be easily removed. Then have a mechanism inside to be able to move the fingers and grip a weapon or whatever. I think my hands will come to about mid lower arm? Im still not sure about that though.

Yeah, I was just going to use a mechanism, but I just don't know what kind of mechanism to use. I'm also confused on tusks. I'll probably use the wire set-up that macattack suggested, but I don't know what to put in the tusks to help them move back into place. I was thinking of using springs.

Yeah, I need some way for them to go in and out. I was gonna have it so the wires were pulled to open the mouth, it looks like his wires push the mouth open.

You could maybe rig it to your helmet so whenever you move your head up, the wires will push the mandibles open and when you pull your head back down they will close.

Oh yeah! That will work better! haha!

Curious, what color are you planning on for the armor? I want to do red like in my avatar. Eventually I want to make several sets so they can be interchangeable.

I'm gonna make the armor switchable with velcro.

The sets I plan on making are:
-red
-blue
-black
-white
-honor guard (maybe)

Elite-B17 said:
I want to do blue, white, and Zealot. I was even thinking of doing the Arbiter's armor.
After examining this picture this is what I got... I think it would end out to be a full scale elite... 7 foot... :\

640elite21ya9.jpg

Dude it came to me while looking at this picture...
640_EliteMatt3.jpg

FOOTBALL PADDING!!!! SHOULDER PADS!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, the shoulder pads would be perfect. I'll need to find a pair that can be modified, so I won't be able to steal my brother's. I guess I just need to figure out how to make the finger mechanisms and how to make the jaw as efficient as possible.

Macattack64, thanks this will help with scaleing the arms and such. I wasnt sure where my arms would end up!

Yes! Football pads! Great idea! You can add more foam to make them a little bigger if needed. Could you add this to the outside of a muscle suit? Then cover with fabric. Only think is it might get really hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back