Good alternative for Fiberglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastacheez

Well I've been a lurker here longer than many people have even been posting, but I never felt any reason to join. I didn't have any questions to ask, cause you guys write your tutorials so clear, and I never had anything to add, because I still haven't made any armor, up until very recently.

---

But now I want to know: Are there any good alternatives to fiberglass for making paper craft armor? My dad apparently had some bad experiences with fiberglass in the past, which have left him affected for life (he used to have a true photographic memory), so he really dislikes the idea of me using fiberglass resin. He suggested several other methods such as papier-mâché, but I didn't want this to be a elementary school art project. What can I use to harden my armor besides fiberglass and papier-mâché?

there is really only a few ways out there, 2 of them you have rejected. paper mache them if not fiberglass. believe me, i sucked up a whole load of resin fumes and im doing fine, and u want fiberglass cloth not the mat but go with the mat if no alternitive. paper mache does the same style but weak compared to fiberglass....

or...

my personal style. if u dont want to do either paper mache or fiberglassing then double stack cardboard and glue gun them together but make sure u get the angles right...
double stack as in use two layers of cardboard and glue the pieces together....haha

Fiberglass will give you a good solid result. Wanna know the best way to not breathe in the fumes? Get a respirator. They cost a bit of cash (40 bucks-ish) but they will save you lots of possible problems. The best way to not have health problems in the future is to practice proper safety now.

If your Dad isn't comfortable with you and fiberglass getting all cozy-like...somewhere someone (i think in the pep forums) was talking about a way to make Paper mache really hard. Don't know exactly where though.

If your dad really doesn't want you using resin/ fiberglass even with a respirator, and depending on the purpose of your suit, paper mache is a decent alternative. It can be made strong through many layers of the paper strips, and it can be made smooth by going over it with a layer or more of also non-toxic spackle (wall putty).
Paper mache will end up looking like the work you put into it; If you rush it and don't take care it will look like an elementary school project. If you take your time and put in some effort it can look awesome, I've seen a lot of nice projects on the web using only paper mache. Granted, it isn't as strong as fiberglass and all, but if you're looking mainly for a suit that looks cool to wear on occasion or Halloween, it should work for you.

The link in my sig is for my 4 Helmets thread, I made all 4 with paper mache.

KSI Eternalfire said:
Well I've been a lurker here longer than many people have even been posting, but I never felt any reason to join. I didn't have any questions to ask, cause you guys write your tutorials so clear, and I never had anything to add, because I still haven't made any armor, up until very recently.

---

But now I want to know: Are there any good alternatives to fiberglass for making paper craft armor? My dad apparently had some bad experiences with fiberglass in the past, which have left him affected for life (he used to have a true photographic memory), so he really dislikes the idea of me using fiberglass resin. He suggested several other methods such as papier-mâché, but I didn't want this to be a elementary school art project. What can I use to harden my armor besides fiberglass and papier-mâché?
Fiberglass cloth itself is safe unless you are somehow allergic to it's fine fibers. Fiberglass resin is also safe if you wear a respirator/msk and work outside, working inside without protections just means your trying to ruin your lungs lol. The fumes are really bad smelling, but I got used to it after a while.

The only thing I can think of is using paper mache, it isnt as good, but it will be sturdy enough to wear around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way i am thinking about doing myself is using cheap fleece form walmart and resining over that. I was watching one of those custom show where they work on cars and they said fleece and the resin will make very hard fiberglass too. An alternative to using matte or fiber glass.

If your dad doesnt want you using fiberglass, use resin and muslin cloth muslin cloth can be bought cheaply at any fabric store i think for 3 dollars a yard.....anyways, it isnt hairy and messy like fiberglass, so it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back