Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
heyheyhey, in the future i am giong to build an ODST helmet, with all the bells and whistles( flashlight on right tempel, fans insinde, good paint job, dark to transparent visor) and i would use fiberglass, resind and for detail i will rondo( or bondo wich is better) and i don't have a dremel so i plan on using my sautering iron to carve out the details( yes it will be on low or medium setting heat) i just want to know if this is good or will the head cause my helmet to go up in flames?(flaming helmet, cool, real flaming helmet, not so cool) thank you all very much or would i stick with an exacto knife?(that would take alot of work tho)

Bad idea. This will create a lot of toxic fumes. Save up, get a Dremel. They're great little tools.

EDIT: That is, if it even heats up the Rondo to melt it. Otherwise you will be doing nothing more than scratching it with a metal rod. It will not come close enough to do anything to Body Filler however.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! All that would do would create fumes and DESTROY your soldering iron. My friend used a soldering iron to melt a little bit of hot glue that was on a circuit board and he almost broke the iron, almost set flames to the glue (it was even a temperature controlled soldering iron) and burned the **** out of the circuit board. Don't do that. Dremels are not that expensive it would be better to just save up the money then to ruin you existing stuff and a helmet.

P.S. how are you going to make th visor change?

Squirtle117 said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! All that would do would create fumes and DESTROY your soldering iron. My friend used a soldering iron to melt a little bit of hot glue that was on a circuit board and he almost broke the iron, almost set flames to the glue (it was even a temperature controlled soldering iron) and burned the **** out of the circuit board.

Sort of reminds me of the time I tried to melt the hot glue covering my hot glue gun with a lighter. (Not for smoking... Shame on you...)

Ended up dripping some molten-hot glue on my finger, burning a nice few millimeter deep hole in my finger. Ouch.

Us Canadians. Always full of ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen variable-speed Dremels for as little as $50, and constant- or 3-speed models for just $35, brand-name in both cases. Not exactly "the change from under the couch cushions," maybe, but not bank-breaking expense either, and it's worth it regardless. Besides, as noted, IF you get anywhere using the soldering iron, you'll destroy the iron and generate mucho toxic fumes. Bad juju - get thyself a Dremel.

You won't regret it - I use mine for TONS of stuff.

no. not a good idea. as state above, fumes for one thing, and for another, do you have any idea for flammable fiberglass and resin is? its not pretty. go with a dremmel, and it doesn't have to be a real fancy one.

mustang2500 said:
Sort of reminds me of the time I tried to melt the hot glue covering my hot glue gun with a lighter. (Not for smoking... Shame on you...)

Ended up dripping some molten-hot glue on my finger, burning a nice few millimeter deep hole in my finger. Ouch.

Us Canadians. Always full of ideas.

and i thought i was the only one.that day i learned to fly.......straight into my roof and then to my sink. want to compare scars? :D

but yes very bad idea. if you dont have the money for a dremel, one trick ive seen is to put string were you want a line then bondo/rondo around it. when it dries, pull the string free. it wont be clean but it SHOULD give you a decent outline.

I dont understand how a soldering iron could melt set bondo. I doubt it would have any effect at all. Perhaps you could carve some detail using a thin shim, with a fine grade sandpapaer wrapped around it? It should tide you over until you can aquire a dremel.

hellfire said:
I dont understand how a soldering iron could melt set bondo. I doubt it would have any effect at all. Perhaps you could carve some detail using a thin shim, with a fine grade sandpapaer wrapped around it? It should tide you over until you can aquire a dremel.

That's what I said in my edited post.

Now I think the OP has gotten his answer.

all righty thank you all so much for your promp responces! this site is the best thing ever, do you thinks one or two of the comments should go in the stickies or tutorials? i had an idead of making me helmet out of cardboard and use clay to make the high detail pieces. Thanks again! :)

P.S. how are you going to make th visor change?

well my good friend i plan on getting a dremel and making my odst visor out of a full faced mirrored shiels, and seen in theis vid i will install lights on the INSIDE of the helmet, thus showing the face through the non transparent lense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back