Good Safety Gear Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

Diving into a whole set of chemicals and stuff I don't know anything about and wanted to know what you guys think of for a good respirator?

Ideally I will wear this thing pretty much non stop from Glue fumes to sanding to painting and during clean up.

Safety is the main concern here, as well as adaptability, if it only works for 'wood dust' it's not going to be safe for 'tiny fiberglass dust particles'.

If it comes down to it I'll just buy a 10 nanometers filtration Gas Mask suitable for Nuclear Fallout Protection and be done with it. Lol. (but I don't wanna sped $300+ unless I "have" to)

Ideally the mask should have multiple cartridges/filters for the wide array of things I plan to do, and be affordable to replace. I don't mind half-mask or Full mask, full masks look cooler, but hey, almost no one is going to see it (and safety goggles are cheap)

I would love something like this http://www.gemplers.com/product/670...c=25SEPLA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=6700&ctype=2

However price is a bit much, although apparently safety is fantastic. But I wouldn't know where to start on which cartridges I need...

anyone with experience should help fill me in here, which cartridge(s) would I need for:
Fiberglass Resin Pourin/Fumes
Fiberglass Sanding
Paint Fumes/etc
Bondo Sanding
Smooth-On Smooth Cast 320/sanding
Various Glues (super, epoxy, plastic resin glue) + sanding

Some of those may not actually require a filter for use - but just listing to make sure. Mostly concerned with Paints and the fumes from Epoxy/resins/plastics. I figure sanding particles should pretty much all be the same size (roughly) so a good filter will knock all of them out. (unless they are 10 nanometer radioactive fallout debris or something, in which case this won't do,and I need more protection anyway)

Use a organic fume filter . Smooth-on products are non-toxic (THANK GOD) so no need to worry about them. Hope that helps!!

Jacob

Well for what we do that one is a little over kill....how ever if you have the money and that is the one you would feel most comfortable using then by all means use it. You can never be to safe. But realistically if you use http://www.gemplers.com/product/G10705/3M-6000-Series-Half-Mask-Respirator this one with their organic vapor filter part #10865 and their Particulate filter part #G11867 with the snap on retainer clip part #502P that would more than cover all the bases.

I know it was overkill but lately I been having some breathing issues and am uncertain if I have just developed allergies (not uncommon in my family) or if I have accidentally over-done it with fumes/debris in the past (using sub-par filtration means)

I figure a good respirator will prevent any concerns with what I do while I work on it, and if I find out I breathe easier with one on - it could be something in the air itself (which then I can take to my doctor saying hey, somethings up)

Certainly don't want to under-do safety in either case. No one should.

I plan to be using some alternatives to fiberglass as well - so as unpredictable as that can be for pepping, I don't need to ruin my lungs in the process, afterall if this scout goes out and finds that it works amazing and dies before he can return with the word - what good was the scouting?

I think Iama give the 3M one a try (linked above) just because I've been doing some background research and it pretty much (the 6000 series, right?) to be the price/effecient medium between crazy expensive (several hundred dollar) filtration/rebreathing/etc systems and the cheap-o $20 junk I wouldn't trust too well (since I have used them in the past and had numerous problems with these so-called "reusable" cheap-o's)

In regards to Particulate filter part #G11867 : they state they no longer carry this part, do we have another solution/store with it?

also how long do the carts usually last? cuz yea.. thers a 10pack on ebay. Lolz... 5 sets seems like a bit much, unless they get all used up within like a month or something.

Diving into a whole set of chemicals and stuff I don't know anything about [...]

Ideally the mask should have multiple cartridges/filters for the wide array of things I plan to do, and be affordable to replace. I don't mind half-mask or Full mask, full masks look cooler, but hey, almost no one is going to see it (and safety goggles are cheap) [...]

anyone with experience should help fill me in here, which cartridge(s) would I need for:
Fiberglass Resin Pourin/Fumes
Fiberglass Sanding
Paint Fumes/etc
Bondo Sanding
Smooth-On Smooth Cast 320/sanding
Various Glues (super, epoxy, plastic resin glue) + sanding

Couple of points:

• If you don't know anything about the chemicals you want to use, don't use them until you know everything about them.
  • More ideally, your mask should have just one set of filters that covers everything - that way you can't go wrong and mix them up.
  • You don't want to work in an environment where fume concentrations are high enough to justify a full-face mask. Looking cool is not an issue, and when the neighbours see you in the garden wearing a respirator they're going to be scared either way.
  • Polyester resin, Bondo (which is based on polyester resin) and most paints give off some sort of organic vapour which you can filter out with organic vapour cartridges. Get the best ones available for a half-face mask, try to go outside to work anyway (or at least open a window) and don't hold the piece right up to the mask or the fumes may break through. Sanding is covered by particle filters, they can be bought separately or as a combination filter with the vapour ones. 3M also offers these handy clip-ons. Spray painting is covered by using both of the above at the same time. Not sure about "various glues", ask the manufacturer. Smooth-On says organic vapour filters are correct for all their products that require a respirator.
I know it was overkill but lately I been having some breathing issues and am uncertain if I have just developed allergies (not uncommon in my family) or if I have accidentally over-done it with fumes/debris in the past (using sub-par filtration means)

I figure a good respirator will prevent any concerns with what I do while I work on it, and if I find out I breathe easier with one on - it could be something in the air itself (which then I can take to my doctor saying hey, somethings up)

also how long do the carts usually last? cuz yea.. thers a 10pack on ebay. Lolz... 5 sets seems like a bit much, unless they get all used up within like a month or something.

Some more things:

• If you have any troubles breathing, go see a doctor BEFORE buying or using a respirator. Passive respirators make breathing harder, not easier.
  • How long the filters last depends on a number of things. Get one pair to use and keep a second pair in the sealed bag as a replacement. Particle filters will just clog up when they're dying, vapour filters will become less effficient and let smell through (that's an acceptable indicator when working with paint etc.)

Use a organic fume filter . Smooth-on products are non-toxic (THANK GOD) so no need to worry about them.

No they aren't.

Thanks for the info.

Yea i been reading the lables more and more detailed before gettin started here. I mean I got a while until I use the 'hardeners' anyway - but never can be too careful.

Bout the Doc - been there, they recommended I discontenue my hobby without proper respiratory protection - the 'damage done' isn't serious - but it won't get better if I contenue to go 'risky' on cheap masks that 'claim' to block particles (but obviously- something went wrong)
Doc also suggested that my co-workers and friends second hand smoke have probably done more damage then the chemicals I work with themselves (as I inhale more second hand smoke then anything, daily second hand smoke vs a weekend of fumes)

Smokers.. go to electrics already, your killing me, literally.

Smooth-on products. most are low oder and fumes are minor. NOT 100%non-toxic, What Am I saying here.......WARE A MASK (respirator) when working with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back