GOT A FIBERGLASSING OR BONDO QUESTION...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deathwasp said:
I've got a coupla questions.
1. Say I don't care that it looks a bit pointy, does it mater if I don't bondo the outside of my armor, and just fibreglass the inside and resin the outside?
2. How much resin (Approximately) is it going to take for a full suit of armor?

1. If you don't mind pointy, then leave it pointy. The bondo body filler is just to make it smooth, if that's the way you want it. That's all that the bondo is for. If you like the way it looks pointy, then the resin and fiberglassing is all that you need.

2. I, personally, can't answer that one to the letter, but it mainly depends on how many coats of resin you do, and how thick you fiberglass your pieces. You can easily double the amount of resin required by just adding an extra layer or two of fiberglass to all of your armor.
I will say that you will go through many quarts, so expect to put a lot of money into the resin.

~Epyon

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! It's not that I like pointy, but I'm on a budget and am absolutely terrible with fillers and clays and junk like that.

Also, as much as an exact answer isn't horribly importnat for the resin, do you happen to know if a gallon or so would cover the whole thing with approximately 2 coats? Again, budget. I need to make sure I can afford to finish before I start shelling out for this stuff.

At any rate, thanks for the help. :D

I've got a good question. Try to answer this without making yourself look like an idiot, okay. What the hell happened to my "Post questions here" thread??? This is a complete copy of that. All that hard work for nothing??? Seriously.

Great minds think alike... don't be sore if this gets more responses. People are very misguided about resin and fiberglass, and it's one of the main materials in this craft.

Epyon said:
Yep! Same Resin. Resin = Resin.
The only thing that changes it is when you're talking about using it in conjunction with Fiberglass cloth/mat to reinforce it. When they say to just "resin the outside of the helmet", they mean to just put a layer of resin/epoxy on the outside, without using any fiberglass. And of couse, the inside is the same, but with using the fiberglass material to reinforce it :D.

Good luck!
Cool :D Thanks Epyon, BTW Epyon was my favorite Gundam from Gundam Wing :D

If anyone has the Star Wars Episode 3 DVD, go to the special features, in there is a small section on making the Vader for episode 3. In it they show the prop guys using a silicone mold, and pigmented gel coat (fiberglass resin with coloring agent added) they spread the gel coat in several layers until its about 3/16" thick, then paint in a paint of resin, add the strip of fiberglass cloth to it, then paint more resin over that. Once its done you see them pull it out of the silicone mold, and viola a beautifully made vader dome thats nice and glossy. The same can be done for our pepakura armor too. This example might help clear the air abit as people can see it being done.

* Build the pepakura armor piece,
* Apply a release agent
* Apply several coats of just resin (pigment it if you want)
* Lay a coat of resin inside the mold, then lay a strip of cloth, then reapply more resin over that. (remove air pockets with a small brush)

* once cured,

* Peel away the paper mold and viola a beautimus new part.

The benefit of having a thick layer of resin or gel coat, is it can be sanded down to remove the pepakura fold lines left in the paper mold without exposing the fiberglass cloth layer underneath.

s-meister said:
I've got a good question. Try to answer this without making yourself look like an idiot, okay. What the hell happened to my "Post questions here" thread??? This is a complete copy of that. All that hard work for nothing??? Seriously.

blakiki said:
So I hear bondo leave pinholes like mad

A) this true?
:cool: how do you fill those?

Ok, firstly OMG OMG OMG I didn't expect this post to fill up like this. I need to check more often now. Anyway...let me get down to business. s meister, I am sorry if you feel I have taken your topic idea. I just felt that it was time for one like this to be posted. And believe me I know hoe you feel, I have had two topics (dealing with rather specific stuff actually) copied word for word. But a mistake is a mistake.

blakiki, it can happen if you don't work with it right. The key to keeping Bondo from pinholing excessively is to "work" it properly.

Firstly, add less hardener to give you more time to maneuver it, and to compensate for thickness due to low temperature (IDK if that applies to you. In the low 40's down I notice a difference. It was a bitch).

Secondly, you want to reduce the amount of air you work into it. You can do that in two ways.

One, when you mix it, use something flat and wide, (around an inch or more) so that you can mix it quickly and efficiently, and slowly enough so you don't whip bubbles (which result in pinholes).

The other way is to mix it on a flat surface so the blob is thinner, and this will let the bubbles rise to the surface faster.

Now, when applying, try to use the tool that you spread and smooth with as little as possible once its touched the surface of the armor. Use the tool to scrape it off the mixing area and try to pour/glop it onto the armor, that way you don't spread it onto air and get bubbles.

Now for spreading: I highly recommend Bondo's mixing tools they make. They are the pink you want your Bondo to mix into, so they're a great reference. Also they are flexible so you can bend them once the Bondo hardens and the Bondo cracks right off. And come in different widths.)

I try to spread as little as possible, then with my cleanest ans widest Bondo spreader (read: no gunk on edge), I pass over it once to smooth the surface. The more you smooth, the tackier it gets and the more air you out under the surface.

Before it gets very rubbery, but is hard enough to push with your finger, I use a rough (30-60) sandpaper that is made for paint, to smooth the Bondo. I use a paper made for paint because the slightly gummy Bondo will gum up other papers. The paper is white and green and made by 3M.

Then, once its at the consistency of rubber, like a tire, I use a widely serrated steak knife to shave off the high areas and ridges. if you wait till its hard, its harder to do and you actually risk sawing grooves in it if the blade catches.

Once it hard but not rock, I use 80 grit to get rid of gouges ect.

If you still have pinholes, use a finger and fill them with Bondo...but. Make sure you leave a tiny mound over the pinhole and you don't sand it down till its hard, that way you don't get a depression.

You can also use a spot putty or a spackling paste (they come in small jars) for the small stuff, but keep in mind these don't dry as hard as Bondo. Some you can even gouge with a nail so beware it you use that stuff for large areas, b/c after painting a flex could make it crack and then crack/flake the paint.

Glaze is another alternative to Bondo if you want less pinholes, but you should only use it if you helmet is of a perfect shape, as it not great for sculpting. If your are interested in tips...post

Btw, the serrated knife trick is my uber-secret...don't tell. Makes Bondo as esay as...cutting steak!

Sry for the absence...post on.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Cool :D Thanks Epyon, BTW Epyon was my favorite Gundam from Gundam Wing :D

Woo! Seriously though...I won't even start on my Gundam Fan-dom on here.....literally only missing 2 series ...own the rest, watched em at least twice each :D

Course...add Gundam models and love for robots of all kinds...add in a bit of Mjolnir Armor, Samus Fandom, and Ironman armor, and you'll realize why i'm on here :D

course, experience with making fiberglass bodies for our race cars helps a bit! I love answering questions and helping people.
<a href="http://www.sae.eng.ua.edu/fsae" target="_blank">
Racecar Team Linky!
</a> (I also co-made website, gotta <3 flash)

~Epyon

JediStumpy said:
Oh right now it s between 40 and 50 degree F.
can i resin outside still?
i know the thing says best if 45F or higher but will it still workout ok?
( or after i put on resin could i take a blowdryer or heatgun and heat it up a little to help cure it?)
and how many layers of resin (outside of helmet) sure a put on 1st before i glass?
sweet!

I was reffering to the Bondo and Glaze when I was taking about temperature, because they thickened. As for the resin I never had cold-temperature thickening/delayed curing like some say they have had. And for coats of resin...i recommend (if you cover everything well) one-two on the outside. The first coat should be done in sections as not to warp the armor and should soak into the cardstock to permeate it and make it hard. I feel an inside coat is unnecessary because you are fiberglassing it anyway :D

Ok I've got a question. Does it matter if you don't use fibreglass? If it does, do I need to put a layer of resin on the outside first? And Bodyfiller is the stuff for the outside right?
It sounds a bit noob. I found a lot of topics about bondoing and fibreglassing, but those are the things I don't understand.
Sorry for my bad English (if it's bad xD), I'm Dutch :rolleyes

Polyester resin is very brittle without the fiberglass reinforcement. Yes it will be hard, but it would shatter if you dropped it.

Sean Bradley said:
Polyester resin is very brittle without the fiberglass reinforcement. Yes it will be hard, but it would shatter if you dropped it.

Ok thanks. So do I need to put Fiberglass on the inside first before putting resin on the outside?

Oh man I'm so confused...

The type of resin to use on the outside of your helmet is called what?

The type of resin used inside the helmet is called what?

The type of fiberglass used inside the helmet is called what?

Resin goes on the inside of the helmet, followed by fiberglass? Am I right?

Thanks!

standard polyester resin with hardener is the easiest to find - plus the resin prices arent that much different from a boat builder. my buddy builds yachts in wilmington and said he could get me a gal for 29 bucks, which isnt that much difference over autozones 33. however, he CAN get me a 5 gallon bucket for 90 dollars. now thats what i call a deal. I can't imagine how heavy that thing would be.

First let me explain the concept of fiberglassing then I'll tell you how it works.

Fiberglass is a durable cloth made of glass fibers. Polyester resin (resin) is a tough but brittle substance. When you soak fiberglass cloth in resin, and it hardens, you get a very hard and shatter resistant substance.

To fiberglass, the paper is first coated with a thin layer of resin in order to stiffen the paper to prevent warping from the upcoming application of fiberglass and more resin. One the first layer of resin (only one is ok as long as it is a good coating) is dry, fiberglass is lightly glued in place to the INSIDE of the armor. That is so it stays in place. Then, resin is brushed/poured over the fiberglass. Once the resin hardens, viola fiberglass.

Any questions on how to do that? As in resin mixing or fiberglass tips? Happy to help.

SPU7N1K said:

The type of resin to use on the outside of your helmet is called what?

The type of resin used inside the helmet is called what?

The type of fiberglass used inside the helmet is called what?
Thanks!

SPU7N1K said:

1.The type of resin to use on the outside of your helmet is called what?

2.The type of resin used inside the helmet is called what?

3.The type of fiberglass used inside the helmet is called what?

4.Resin goes on the inside of the helmet, followed by fiberglass? Am I right?
Thanks!

1.Um, usually thats just the "polyester resin" that you also use to fiberglass. Most people here put 1-2 coats of just this on the outside of the helmet after you make it.

2. The resin that's used on the inside is the same stuff. If you've already put some of this on the outside, there's not much of a reason to put more of "just" the resin on the inside; its best to go ahead and just lay down some fiberglass on the inside.

3. Fiberglass is just fiberglass, it's jsut which of the two forms that you like. A lot of people use "Fiberglass - Cloth" because it's actually woven like a piece of cloth. Some people like to use the "Fiberglass - Mat", but its much more rugged and requires a lot more resin per coat and takes a bit of know-how to work with it as easily.

4. Sorta, if you're going to fiberglass, the Fiberglass is usually put in place, and then you paint the resin over it and let it soak through, thats the method of "fiberglassing".

Hope this clears ya up...sorry you got forgotten :p

~Epyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back