GOT A FIBERGLASSING OR BONDO QUESTION...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i have a question. i know that, correct me if i am wrong, fiberglass cloth is pieces of glass woven together and fiberglass mat is like strands of glass mashed together. but what are the pros and cons of each of these and what do you recommend?

C 4468 said:
will fiberglass freeze or something if it cold out? cause i don't like waiting till spring

bigdrock44 said:
ok i have a question. i know that, correct me if i am wrong, fiberglass cloth is pieces of glass woven together and fiberglass mat is like strands of glass mashed together. but what are the pros and cons of each of these and what do you recommend?

C 4468, i assume your referring to fiberglass resin, which is liquid. Cold, especially freezing weather/temperatures severely retard the hardening of resin. You could use large amounts of hardener, but this would cause the resin to dry overly brittle. You are best waiting till sprig to finish projects, as I am.

Bigdrock44, both are made out of fiber-ssize pieces of glass. The cloth is woven, and the mat is a random layout of the fiber, Pros for fiberglass cloth: Easier for noobs. More flexible than hardened matt. Lighter. Will require/absorb less resin. Cons: Um...idk i love it.

Pros for Fiberglass matt: Used alot of resin so it adds weight and strength.
Cons: Used alot of resin so it adds weight and thickness. Can be messy for noobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a question for a particular type of bondo. i bought a can bondo at walmart and removed 4" of the bondo from the can and applied about 1" long strand of the harding substance and mixed the two together. i began to apply the bondo onto a prototype pepakura forearm (one that i can mess up and just experiment on) and it seemed kind of rough when spreading over the forearm. is there a type of bondo out there that is more of oozy (wouldn't say as runny as fiberglass resin) that would seem easier to apply onto armor pieces? sorry if i sound noobish, still new to this whole thing. :unsure:

EDIT: nevermind, someone showed me a youtube video of a Home Depot Bondo Body Filler that is the exact type of bondo that i was looking for...told ya i'm new at this :D

so uhhh i have a question my bondo body filler is out in the car and my mom is currently away and do you just apply body filler and it dries then you smooth it out or something?? (i know noob question)

ok....

let me get my head straight

this the material i will need
resin,clothe,hardner

100_0310.jpg

next i will 1st apply resin to these carboard peices, after it dries resin again and apply fiber glass ( how many layers?)

100_0311.jpg

100_0307.jpg

after everything hardens, is it possible to sand it to where its smoothe or will i have to use bondo body filler?

you do that with both but really all you need to do is create squares and rectangle pieces

Did a quick search for duck tape and fiberglass, but couldn't really find an answer.

If you know about the duct tape body doubling method(if not click here), my question is do you think that you could fiberglass over the duct tape once it is stuffed? Or will you have problems getting the fiberglass to adhere to the duct tape?

-Magnum

23Magnum said:
Did a quick search for duck tape and fiberglass, but couldn't really find an answer.

If you know about the duct tape body doubling method(if not click here), my question is do you think that you could fiberglass over the duct tape once it is stuffed? Or will you have problems getting the fiberglass to adhere to the duct tape?

-Magnum

Although I have no personal expeience, I have heard that fiberglass will NOT adhere to duct tape.

so if you are fiberglassing a weapon, such as an MA5C, then you would slice the thing in half, so you would have one SIDE side, then fiberglass? or would you just fiberglass the outside using the fiberglass mat? (not END) of the gun?
so take that example, and use it for, say the handplates; would u slice it so that u have the backhand side and the detail/design

:tutu: :whistle: :lol: :cry: :cautious: :) i recently made a ironman helmet and it was my first ever pepakura craft and i dont know what to do next
here are pictures (y)

BY680 said:
:tutu: :whistle: :lol: :cry: :cautious: :) i recently made a ironman helmet and it was my first ever pepakura craft and i dont know what to do next
here are pictures (y)

where did you get the file? i need one.

BY680 said:
here are pictures (y)
A few things:
  1. Do not add a post to a thread that's more than a month old (necroposting). This can get you a warning and if you keep doing this, you can get banned.
  2. Post your question in the Noob section.
  3. Read the stickies in the Pepakura and Cardboard Armor section.
  4. Do not post until you have read the stickies.
  5. Read the stickies again. Seriously!
  6. Lay off on the emoticons! A couple of them is fine but more than half a dozen is just plain stupid.

the emoticon thing is ridiculous, noobs keep doing that, is annoying.

of course, you would fiberglass next, as is the point of the thread (and the hundred others like it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back