Grey Primer Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

009 SPA

I have a question about the Pepakura armour process, regarding the body filler stage. When one is to spray the partially sanded piece with a grey primer paint, how high does the quality of this paint need to be? Will body filler placed on top stick to lower priced paints? Is there anything else I need to know about?

I use Rustoleum Auto Body Primer. That seems to to be the easiest to sand because it is, well....made for sanding.

One thing I learned about prints: Don't try to save a dollar or two. Just go with the $3-4 paint because isn't worth saving a few bucks and having your cheap paint not dry right or be sticky or whatever.

Now the $.99 paint from Wal-Mart is ok but only for top coats! Not the primer.

Just make sure of two things:

1) Temperature of you model that you will be spraying.

2) The temperature of the air and humidity. Read the instructions on the paint to be sure.

when it come to primers i use the rustoleum body filler spray which is body filler in can. after that i use the krylon primers which can be wet sanded and buffed to a shine with no problems. also all paints stick to it with no issues.

Rustoleum is fine, but my personal preference for sandable primer is DupliColor light grey sandable. If I have something really rough/ nasty (I work with a lot of resin figures that tend to be on the rough side) I will use Rustoleum or Duplicolor high build formula. For my Star Wars weapons when I do a mod I will use the high build formula to lay on as thick a coat as possible and then smooth that down with a sanding sponge. Sometimes I will swtich to rust brown primer and lay on a smooth coat so I can see if I am "burning through" and sanding a high spot too much.

The walmart cheapie paints for a dollar or so are fine for topcoats; I prefer thier flat black Colorspot paint for all of my weapons due to its rather greenish tint. This contrasts perfectly with my other satin and semi gloss black colors that I use when building weapons. All of my weapons are primed, sanded, and then painted metallic grey, silver and brass. Two satin clear coats go on, then the final color coats. The color coats are gently sanded with wet steel wool to show the paint underneat. In time and with wear it will develop it's own natural wear pattern.

I dunno really i usually go for matte blck primer myself. Cuz you can use it for details, weathering and burns. just mask what you

want to keep. :)

Hello All, I have a few years on painting auto, and I recommend rustoleum or krylon paints for hobby and general use.

I use house of colors and primers. and would like to recommend using light(read white or light gray) colored primer if final color is light like yellow, red, or pink, only use black or dark gray if final colors are dark like black or blue, your colors will be more vibrant.

Stilgar

Stilgar makes a good point. Your final shade is affected by your primer.

Havent used HoK paints, havent seen them in stores, are they avaialable at car paint shops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back