Gun Painting .... Acrylics VS Spray cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawrTRON

Member DIN
S011
So I am half way through my first ever styrofoam gun and I was wondering what technique yields the best finish.
As far as I am aware there two options.

Seal and spray (PVA/white glue)

or

Pure acrylics

I feel that pure acrylics would be easier and obviously cheaper but I sort of think that the sheen would look better in cans.
I'd love to see examples of any guns that have been finished and what techniques you have used just to get an idea what is achievable.
A little inspiration never goes a stray.

P.S

A few update pics

10410368_10203825491376175_1075381403459256677_n.jpg
10421619_10203688885321109_4551933661085133921_n.jpg

10390349_10203688884681093_2582284076701366766_n.jpg

Honestly its all personal taste. Hint from the "wise": Do it the best you can. even if it means it takes a little longer and costs a little more. You will be so much prouder of what you built you will forget all about the wallet and hand pain.

Well,you are right.I did the MK V,I did it on hand only,the VI as well,but it turned out to be the Chief's size,so I quit the damn thing.

I'd say more acrylic than spray paint.

Is there a way to get it 100% streak free. Like small roller and laying the paint off?

Honestly its all personal taste. Hint from the "wise": Do it the best you can. even if it means it takes a little longer and costs a little more. You will be so much prouder of what you built you will forget all about the wallet and hand pain.

To be honest I would prefer to use cans as the gloss levels would look better.
I am assuming its possible if you use tons of PVA/whiteglue to seal it?

Is there a way to get it 100% streak free. Like small roller and laying the paint off?

To be honest I would prefer to use cans as the gloss levels would look better.
I am assuming its possible if you use tons of PVA/whiteglue to seal it?

While there are ways to achieve a nearly streak free finish (if applied slowly enough, and in constant layers), I would suggest using a mixture of the two as there are a few advantages for each. just make sure that you have done tests to make sure that your sealer and paint won't affect the foam.

While there are ways to achieve a nearly streak free finish (if applied slowly enough, and in constant layers), I would suggest using a mixture of the two as there are a few advantages for each. just make sure that you have done tests to make sure that your sealer and paint won't affect the foam.

When you say use both I am assuming you are referring to the weathering with water based paints afterwards? Unless there is some uber elite methods I don't know about.

Are there any other sealing options other than PVA?

I swear I saw somewhere that plastidip is a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back