Painting

Carr

Jr Member
What paint do you all use when painting 3D printed props? I used the black spray paint(The Rustoleum Camo paint) before and it just leaves black marks on my hands if I'm not wearing any gloves. I know I need to clear coat it, but I don't know if there's a better type of paint.

Primer -> paint (multiple layers/different cans in my case) -> clear coat is what works for me, all of them spray paints.

Can't speak much for brands, I just use the cheap stuff from my country's discount store (somewhat comparable to harbor freight to those in the US maybe?).

What paint do you all use when painting 3D printed props? I used the black spray paint(The Rustoleum Camo paint) before and it just leaves black marks on my hands if I'm not wearing any gloves. I know I need to clear coat it, but I don't know if there's a better type of paint.
For most projects rustoleum and krylon paints will be fine (after primer of course, you'll get a much better result with that). When you're going to want to be very particular about paints is if you're trying to get a tier 3 deployment (the highest in-game to irl accuracy that can be achieved), if that's what you're looking for then you'll have to get the exact type of paint you're looking for, you'd likely have to go online for this due to the specificity of the paint colour.

Edit: Clear coat always helps as well to protect against scratches and marks on your armour, the primer will also help with this.

Personally after my primer coat I like to use this stuff, works great for me
20240116_213701.jpg

I do primer, then paint, then clear, then weathering, then another clear

Clear coats work wonders!

I just use rustoleum spray paints

First

I use certain paints from AutoZone that are great for temp changes and creasing.

for 3D prints its rustoleum filler primer x2-3 -> sanding and 2 coats rustoleum paint -> weathering with acrylics -> rustoleum semi gloss or satin clear coat.

What company you use shouldn't matter, but you'll have better luck with everything if you stay the same throughout (all krylons, all rustoleums, etc)

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back