Gundam - Rx-78-2 Wip, By Grave

Status
Not open for further replies.
chest is super huge, im going to remake it. but i dont have enough to try on. the pieces fit me, but i dont know if they fit each other and look right

You just need to find a friend that's bigger than you to will it to. ;)

It looks like really good work, though, so keep it up.

Any word on the new chest? You are totally right... The chest is gigantic! Juice did an awesome job, but I lack the body to support the frame and I look like a robotic Stay-puft Marshmellow man!

pretty much, he did do the shape right, but the scale wont allow for it to fit. i have been working on 3 new styles and still trying to get them right to be able to unfold

Heh. RX-79 out of an RX-78.

And THAT is why it was designed in the first place. The 79's a more practical design than the 78.

Good work, man. I'd like to see this come to fruition, though I wouldn't much care for a strange hybrid of Gundam, MP Gundam, and GM. That would be weird. 0_0 I think you should totally do that. In fact, I'm going to shop the 3 together now.

The joint issue raised earlier refers to how mobile suits have 3 parts to the elbows and knees. Kinda like the fibula, patella, and tibia in the human leg. Since it's impossible for a single joint surrounded by that much armor to articulate much, that was the only option. Either way, I've seen Gundam cosplay work, so I know it's completely possible.

Hey, if I'm recalling this right, you're the first Canadian Gundam cosplayer.

Anyway, I just wanna wish you godspeed in this.

(Now to make that Valkyrie cosplay...)

Very nice renders, Grave! A question though, do you create the pieces in pep designer directly, or import? I'm thinking of making my own designs for several different armors, and I have Maya 2008... But if it's easier to go with PepD, I'll make the change.

@ schiz - im not the first, there is another in my province, but his looks squished, and i dont mean SD. the bottom 1/2 isnt proportioned to the top 1/2. but i will be the 1/2 doing it out of pep.

i have also looked into a Valkyrie, since robotech wat the first anime i got into back in 1983, i think it was.. i was 4 either way. the only problem with a valk is the legs and cockpit/groin area. you would have to walk bow legged and make the legs oversized to have it fit right. but making a destroid would work well. i always liked the raider-x.

@ grin the mad. no you cant design in the pep designer, its just there to render a 3d file into a pdo. maya would be what you used to make a 3Ds, OBJ or another type that you can transfer in metaseq to make a MQO to be able to put into pep designer. im not sure if there are other useable file types. these are the 3 have have used. but the OBJ tends to crash pep.

LT-GRAVE said:
@ grin the mad. no you cant design in the pep designer, its just there to render a 3d file into a pdo. maya would be what you used to make a 3Ds, OBJ or another type that you can transfer in metaseq to make a MQO to be able to put into pep designer. im not sure if there are other useable file types. these are the 3 have have used. but the OBJ tends to crash pep.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll look into it. Thanks Grave, and keep up the great work! Also, regarding absurd/awesome Gundam units, may I present Wing Gundam Zero Custom? :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I kinda want to see what you have done so far... And yeah, those wings are insane.

I know what you're saying about the Valk, but I've seen at least one GREAT cosplay. It could even be transformed if the wearer wasn't wearing it.

Let me rephrase my earlier statement: The first Canadian Gundam Cosplayer whose cosplay doesn't completely suck! :p

I contemplated it at one point, but decided against doing mecha cosplay, because the limbs of mecha aren't proportioned like human limbs. Generally, thighs are way too short, shins too long.

However, those who pull it off do great work. I think you could pull this one off.

Robotech was released in 1985, by the way. Its first saga, the Macross Saga, was actually a complete rewrite of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and used the animation of the latter. That was released in 1982 in Japan.

On an anime note, which I'll close this post with, A-Kon 21 is this June. I'm attending as my WIP ODST (and Godot from Phoenix Wright). I really ought to get to work...

im going to look into the valk, i did see one that went from battloid to gerwalk while wearing it. but i think he made if from a starscream cardboard costume.

Funny story: The one I'm talking about could even transform into Fighter and was completely scratch-built.

So, how do you plan on going about the construction of the cylinder joints?

Kinda off topic question from me, but is there a chance you might take this Gundam suit to Anime North 2010? I'm also working on a mecha suit, but the Ingram(Alphonse)from Patlabor since it lets me cheat with its cloth covered joints. Wanna try for a MS someday, but'll probably be a simple form grunt like the GM since my short compact body-type can't really accomadate suits like the Gundam or the Hazel-like Gundam pictured earlier in the thread.

The Ingram is a mecha too seldom cosplayed. I wish you luck.

As to your idea of doing a Mobile Suit, how about the RX-79[G] EZ-8? It's relatively GM-like in structure, but has a much more Gundam flair to it.

Grave, sorry for the late response, but I meant the Gundam. What's your plan for those joints?

LT-GRAVE said:
ok. i know that i have restarted this thread, but i wanted to clean it up. also asked for the original to be removed.

sooooo.... this project is going to take a while, besides the cold tempatures, i also want to explore ways of strengthening each part so that it will stand up to use. unlike the other sets of armor on here the gundam is big and bulky, it will be banging off itself constantly. some pieces that i have highlighted in orange are pieces that either were not designed properly (the cylinder joints) or i do not feel that pep is the right thing to be using for this project. i hope within the next few months (end of feb at latest) i will have everything pep'd that need to be done.

once pep'd, i will start on the orange pieces and have everything ready for May to start the resin and bondo. with any luck everything will be pained and finished by halloween. all i have to do for that is pick my color scheme.

so now on with the pictures!

stage011209.jpg

now i know that the chest looks a bit warped. i havent fortified yet so it is drooping under its weight

pep011209-1.jpg
pep011209-2.jpg

First let me say fantastic armor. I love the work you've done so far would like to see it completed. I do not know how to say this without sounding like a jerk. So I will try not to I currently have my own thread about. Different things you can make using the paper craft make. Not just Halo armor and weapons. Your work is excellent example of that. Is there going to be a place where I can get this project. So my question is is there a place on this site were someone can download projects like yours

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back