Gunnz' Cardboard Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnz777

I thought I'd give you guys a sneak peek at the new armor I'm working on. Chest piece in progress.

picture134pc6.jpg

This might be on hold for a while because I'm running low on hot glue. :(

I'm also planning on having interchangeable pieces so I can customize my armor. :D

looks nice so far good detail

i know the feeling of running out of hot glue
also i now notice theres a back part hanging on your comp a couple more pictures would be nice

is it going to be all cardboard or are you planning on bonoding or Duct taping it?

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

And that back part is just a frame. No detail back there yet. I ran out of glue just as I finished the front.

I don't plan on doing any reinforcement past more cardboard strips. I just don't have the money, skills, and I'm not old enough to use them anyway.

Gunnz777 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

And that back part is just a frame. No detail back there yet. I ran out of glue just as I finished the front.

I don't plan on doing any reinforcement past more cardboard strips. I just don't have the money, skills, and I'm not old enough to use them anyway.

Buy like 4 bags of Hot Glue sticks ........ you'll need em lol take it from me

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually thinking of using velcro for the alternate armor pieces. I could disguise the strips in the black areas on the armor so they can't be seen very well. It might not be completely disguised, but it's the best I can do with the materials I have at the moment.

Gunnz777 said:
I was actually thinking of using velcro for the alternate armor pieces. I could disguise the strips in the black areas on the armor so they can't be seen very well. It might not be completely disguised, but it's the best I can do with the materials I have at the moment.

If your planning to fiberglass it then go with the velcro ... otherwise just regular cardboard wouldnt hold the velcro on when interchanging the pieces which in turn would tear off the paper from your cardboard :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
straps. like the ones that are on your backpack and bike helmets. that's what i'm using. otherwise you can use a locking hinge type thing, like the ones that hold briefcases shut OR you can just use magnets too, a lot of tiny powerful ones might work, not too powerful either, otherwise the cardboard might still rip. hooks would work too, like the ones on women's dresses and lingerie. you can find those in the sewing section. Now those would work perfectly, and you can glue them on too. See them here.

If i dont get pep to work i will copy your desin. Do you have a pic of the back piece? I like your towers and how you connected them i will try to do that. Nice work!

Um... Back piece is still in progress. I'll definitely be posting pics of the rest when I'm finished with the initial design.

I had to make them horizontal or the pieces that connect to that section in the back would be stretched down really low. I'll fix it in the future, though.

Very nice, Gunnz! I'm a bit of a pepakura fan myself but you've swayed me with the nice detailing there.

On the issue of cardboard ripping, it could help to use grommets and thread straps through them. I imagine this would hold up better than adhering the end of a strip to an area but I've never put it into practice; just throwing the idea out there.

(PS These are grommets. If anybody ends up using these make sure to buy them with the little hand tool used to set and punch them into place.)
[attachment=1792:grommets.jpg]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back