Props Guns and magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of magnets are you using. If it's your standard fridge magnets, they will not be strong enough to hold whatever you are connecting to. Rare earth magnets are your best bet. I've seen magnets glued into place with both hot glue or contact cement. Just make sure glue has set and is holding magnet nicely. There is a risk of tearing magnets out of foam when pulling the magnets apart. Try covering one magnet with 2mm craft foam to help keep this from happening.
As for paint, do it after magnets are installed. Wouldn't want to wreck a beautiful paint job by cutting divots into you armour and weapons.

I'm using rare earths. Was planning to glue to the surface of the gun, and recess the magnets on the armor and cover them

Here's an example. It's not on a weapon but it'll give you insight.
20180712_202839.jpg 20180712_202856.jpg

Cool! One question with the exposed magnets, should I cover them while plastidipping and painting, or leave them exposed the whole time?

If your prop is hollow like a boomco mod, open it up and attach the magnets to the inside. I recommend recessed magnets because if they are on the outside it takes away from your look.

If your prop is hollow like a boomco mod, open it up and attach the magnets to the inside. I recommend recessed magnets because if they are on the outside it takes away from your look.
Mine are foam, unfortuately. And already near-fully assembled from an additive standpoint

Well that's fine. I made a foam gunfighter magnum and it worked out fine. If you already glued it together you could dermal a hole or cut the clue back away, and glue the magnets into the hole made there. Then glue it back, and cover it up with foam putty or quick seal. You just have to mess around ;)

Yeah, I made the mistake of completely sealing up my boomco magnum. Not sure how I will attach it without ruining all my hard cosmetic work and painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back