H3 Marine Group Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends Peter, Kris, and I decided we wanted to make Marine costumes for the release of ODST. We've begun by purchasing some ACU's and other tactical gear. We are making the armour out of 6mm sintra. Yesterday I created cardboard templates for the chest and back armour, and began cutting sintra. I will be creating a prototype out of this, and if it works for us, we'll go ahead with the templates for all of us. Kris and Peter are working on other parts, and they will post as they make progress on it.

July112009026.jpg

July112009029.jpg

July112009030.jpg

July112009031.jpg

July112009032.jpg

July112009035.jpg

July112009041.jpg

Shawn, have you got any pictures of the sintra plates? I'm trying to put mine together and I want to make sure I get it right.

Damn, that looks really good and its not even pepakura, sweet talent!

Also, really nice to see another Canadian on here making good stuff. Just wondering, did you use a Canadian supplier to get the sintra? Was it maybe a local store or did you goto a chain hardware store or something?

Keep up the good work!

I haven't had a chance to get any work done on them yet Pete. And no, I don't have any more pics than what I've posted. If you're stuck, just wait. Let's get together next week to work on stuff. Friday the 25th work for you? I should be able to get a bit done next week after work each day, and post pics. Try to work on templates for the shoulders perhaps.

As far as the sintra goes, I got that from GE Polymershapes in Calgary, though I believe Peter can get it cheaper from the sign shop he works at.

Peter, let me know how those chest and back pieces turn out. Post some pics. Let me know if you guys have any questions on assembly. I'll be doing work on mine on Monday.

Kris, can you post a link or pictures of those Spirit of Fire buckles you found? I'd still like to use the patch from Halo Wars somewhere.

Rather long report tonight.

Kris and I ended up getting together for a brainstorming session tonight. We discussed some of the soft goods, but I'll let him fill you in on the details. We thought about a few other add-ons as well. The Marines from the Landfall video have a UNSC emblem on the chestplate, which we both like. I'm also doing up some small nameplates to put on the backplates, also inspired by Landfall. I've also handed the templates off to Kris, since I'm done tracing them.

I haven't had time to finish cutting the plates yet. My dremel can do about a piece and a half a day before it dies, and I don't trust myself to cut them by hand. It's getting there though, I'm almost on to the backplate :pI've also cut the central grey plate on the chestplate out of styrene (really thin sintra), so don't worry about that part.

I can post your pictures for you though.

imagejpeg_ma.jpg

imagejpeg_m.jpg

Well, for my part in the group progress.

I haven't had time to start templates for the lower legs yet, as I've been busy preparing for a new roommate, and FINALLY working on my Halo 3 Magnum (no pics yet - I rarely take time for progress pics). I picked up some fabric (not cordura, but as close as I could find) and more webbing on Thursday, and I'll start designing the drop-leg tactical platforms. I may also try making some pouches.

Then I'll start designing and making the simple vest layer we've been talking about.

Shawn - I discussed my idea (the one I texted you about) with Peter, and he likes it. I sent you and Peter an email with pics about it. I want to keep that 'feature' under wraps for now. ;-)

I'm going to go out tonight and look for a cheap helmet that I can use to start designing the Marine helmet. I'll update you guys when I have something to show.

I've started working on sintra versions of the chest and back armour. I've got them roughly shaped, and most of the pieces glued on. Still need to add the side extensions onto the back, and do some shaping/bondoing/sanding. I should have time for that tomorrow after work. I'm going to add foam to the undersides of the shoulder plates once I have the rest of the pieces in place and the final shape I want them to be.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Sweet! I love it!

I've taken a ton of helmet reference shots and I've been playing around with the helmet I got. I tried working with cardboard, but that got annoying real quick, so I switched over to my prefered medium ;)

DSCF2638.jpg

I plan to use the tape templates to cut out cardboard ones, which, if they work, can be used for sintra templates. Let me know what you guys think of it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back