Haji's Odst

Status
Not open for further replies.

haji

i think i had a post 2 years ago, cant remember but i finally decided to pick it back up and finish it. I finally have a friend helping me out and i should have the helmet 100% complete within 2 weeks

Chest plate might be a little small, im gonna have to see once i part the rest of the armor

100_2131.jpg

100_2133.jpg

I messed up with those lines on top, thats why im in the process of filling it back up. They were too big and not done too neatly

100_2135.jpg

Also can some confirm what the height should be... I have the ruler in this pic and it about 10 3/4 from the buttom to the top.

Im not sure if its supose to but w/o any paddings the helmet will touch my shoulders so im really worried it was made to big even though i left the scale at default on the NZ pep file

100_2136.jpg

right now it looks like a half cardboard half paper color spill build but im sure once its coated it will look great

thanks man, the NZ model didnt allow to make detail like that which leaves me clueless on how Rube did his.

Cardboard is just really easy for me to work with so i can make it more accurate then pep, and ill just slab some body filler over it. the top and side peices are pep but i cut off the back and jaw peice.

The Weta or In game version... Im really not certain on which model, Im trying to model it after rubes which i believe was the weta version. Can anyone tell me what tool i could use to make that slanted rain drop looking shape on the ear peice and how to sand the back portion?

One more request, could someone measure theirs from the bottom jaw to the very top of the helmet. Im really worried ive made it to big

haha... oh man did i get forgotten or something? i had to go back 3 pages.

Well i got the visor, which took me a while properly sizing it and getting it at the right angle. It could sill use a little trimming. The top portion needs to be shorter

Ill take this sucker out tommorow after i add the final touches and getting the jaw peice aligned properly and get it fiberglassed then the next day work on the details. Oh yeah i got a side BR-55 project going on to, i'll get some pics of it once its somewhat presentable.

100_2153.jpg

100_2151.jpg

Thanks, i was thinking about something along those lines.

ah, i think i messed up. I just fiberglassed the inside but before i did that, i made the jaw wider because thats what it appeared to be like in the Weta version. Some how during the process the top of the helmet and the jaw got closer and the side also took much width sigh...

im having a real tough time applying body filler. Its just so thick that i can only work in patches at a time because if i do to much it starts cluster up. I did try less hardner but then the filler never dried and that covered a good portion... and that wasnt very fun the scrape off

well heres some updates.

100_2155.jpg

100_2156.jpg

decided to the back with styrene... the cavity is to small to sand in sharp corners

100_2161.jpg

I have a couple of questions though, Whats the best tool/method to sand areas like this

100_2163.jpg

Has anyone seen where you could buy a rubber seal like this?

ODST2-1.jpg

For that seal you could try going to lowes or a local plumbing place and see if they have a rubber cupling big enough and cut it down.

A few good tips for working with body filler that comes to mind is.

1. Work with small amounts.

2. Get a rasp as it will help with shaping and save you tons of sanding.

3. Dont mix it to hot. Give yourself some time to put it where you need it and get it semi smooth.

I personaly use 80 grit on a sanding block when sanding it down the first time. It cuts it off pretty good without making gouges in your piece. After that 180 then i usually prime and wet sand it to find any low spots and pits. Spot putty sand some more and before painting hit it with a 300 or so grit. That should give you a pretty darn smooth surface.

For those spots you cant get a sanding block I usually just fold the paper over and sand it by hand. Iv also used an x-acto before it gets really hard to cut in fine details.

Ah ive ran into to trouble.. Apparently i didnt fiberglass the inside to well, when i started sandding the boddy filler, the cardboard slipped in and ruined the body filler around it.

This is the first day ive stopped working since last week. Im gonna move onto the armor peices now and ill fiberglass the helmet again once other parts are ready.

I dont really feel like making double guantlets for the arm, legs and such. Since they arent very detailed, would you say vacuforming with .4mm styrene get a decent shape of it then fiberglass the inside?

Ill be building my vacuforming machine soon so i can have a visor. Tinting spray can be purchased at auto parts correct?

Spray tint can be gotten at pretty much any auto parts store. Even our local walmart has some so mightwant to check there aswell, it could save you a few bucks.

Or im pretty sure you can buy tinted vac formable sheets.

Never dealt with these people but from looking at the website id say if they make it these people carry it. http://www.modernplastics.com/plasticscarry.htm

ah great, i just burnt my dremel. I really started making some nice improvements on the helmet with the new set of dremel wheels i aquired but no images since our camra broke :(

Looks like im just going to move on to the armor for the time being

Sorry for the picture quality, i had to use the webcam since our camera broke. Trying to use more body filler to get the other side more symtrical. A good portion is still rough but im waiting for another dremel drill. I really feel like ive been going backwards since i redid some parts multiple times and made it worse - then trying to redo it again

IMG000008.jpg

Ill have the armor peices ready to present soon. Im going to make them M.O.L.L.E strap compatible so i can slap it on my eagle plate carrier vest.

Can anyone tell me or assume what would happen if i vacuform the armor peices with something like .4mm styrene? I was thinking most of it would work except the that 4th peice on the chest with the circle thingy in the middle.

btw, The date for dragon con is __________

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back