Halo 3 Gravity Hammer Build

BansheeRose

Hi BansheeRose here! I started working on my next Halo build, the Halo 3 Gravity Hammer that I hope to have finished for a convention at the end of July which means I have a lot of work to do. I'm starting by making a flat blueprint on Inkscape, a free software program. I prefer this method because I not only really enjoy using the program but I also learned how to make 3d props from KamuiCosplay on YouTube, and she usually starts with a blueprint, and in the interest of saving time, I decided to use this method rather than Pepakura because there is still a lot for me to learn with translating pepakura to foam. Once I have the pattern done, I'll be printing it on cardstock at home or going to fedex or staples where they can print it out in one go without any seams. For this build I will be using insulation foam, eva floor mat foam, craft foam, and worbla. I want to include electronics but that will probably have to come later after the convention in July. I look forward to sharing this build with the forum since it will be my first time doing so! I'm hoping to get plenty of feedback as I work on this prop since I am trying to learn all I can and level up my cosplaying skills.

Gravity Hammer Pattern Progress 1.png

Thank you guys for the positive feedback! My basic blueprint is done. I did simplify some parts in the interest of time and based on my current skill level. Next step is to size it and get it printed. I'm wondering what size would be best because I am only 5'2" and I don't want carrying it around or transporting it to be too difficult. And a tip if you are using Inkscape: SAVE CONSTANTLY! Inkscape likes to close on me at random times so I loose all of progress so I save every few minutes to prevent that.
To translate the blue print to a 3d prop, I'm mostly going to be using my best judgement on the shape and size and sketching out some parts by hand to make sure it fits the blue print I made here. If I make a blueprint on any additional angles, there is no guarantee it would fit this one.
Gravity Hammer Pattern Progress 3.png

Alright, so I finished the pattern and got it printed out. It is a bit messy so I'll be using my best judgement and the original reference to make adjustments as I go. I'll have to reprint specific pieces so I don't have to cut them out of my base pattern which I will use for the larger pieces. I'm going to focus on building out all the parts that have a clear construction method before moving onto the more difficult sections. I believe the hardest part will be attaching everything together since the inner parts of the gravity hammer that are covered by surface details are difficult to see on the reference and will require some improvisation. Fingers crossed that this goes relatively smoothly! The program used to make the pattern was Inkscape. I then exported the pattern as multiple PDF files that I combine with a PDF merger before printing. I also decided to make my gravity hammer 66 inches long so it's a bit more proportional to my size instead of the lore accurate size which is 18 inches taller than me, that is not ideal for transport and conventions.

Screenshot_20230710-161557_Gallery.jpg

Progress has been a bit slow since I've been focusing on cleaning my room and workspace so I'm less stressed while making the hammer. However, I was able to stop by Lowe's and pick up the PVC pipe needed for the build. I'm making it so the main body of the build is detachable from the handle so it is easier to travel with. Parts of the handle will be made thinner to fit my hands more comfortably than shown by the pattern, which should be an easy adjustment. Currently, I'm piecing together the build in my head so I know how to fabricate each piece when I get to it and where to start.

Alright, so I finally got to a point where I could start building the gravity hammer but I have already run into an issue. It seems that when I went to reprint part of the pattern, it got blown up in size so the blade is about 10% bigger than it should be. I only realized after I had done hours of cutting and sanding and I do not have the patience to redo it so... the blade is going to be a bit bigger than in the reference. Now that I have noticed the issue, I will be correcting it for all other parts because I don't want the entire build to end up being too big. However, despite the minor set back, I do like the progress on the blade, I have mostly been hand sanding with a sanding sponge because the Dremel has been tearing up the insulation foam while the sanding sponge leaves a very smooth surface. It will take longer but it will be worth it. The blade will be covered with Worbla once I'm finished shaping it but for now I am taking a break from standing to work on some other parts. I find that it eases stress when I move back and forth between different crafting techniques so they don't get too tedious. (Google drive is not letting me download one of the pictures I wanted to include so I will post it when I make a more detailed post about the blade). Also, I try to clean as I go but as you can see, it gets pretty messy anyway.

Screenshot_20230714-161528_Gallery.jpg

That was not an easy thing to figure out. To get things back to the right sizing I had to go through the PDF merger I used online for the original pattern, rather than printing them directly after the initial export from Inkscape. Should be smoother sailing from here no that I have that sorted!

Now that's a knife! Er, hammer.

If you haven't seen it, Inkscape now has the ability to import, edit and save out multi page PDF's! I was so excited when I found out I nearly cried.

Now that's a knife! Er, hammer.

If you haven't seen it, Inkscape now has the ability to import, edit and save out multi page PDF's! I was so excited when I found out I nearly cried.
It does!?! That might make things easier! The hardest thing for me is that I know in Adobe illustrator there is a way to assign multiple pages to a pattern so they're automatically lined up and ready to print, but I haven't been able to figure out something like that in Inkscape so there is a lot of guess work. I tried my best lining up the pages in the past but it would always cut off part of the pattern when I exported it in pdf format. For the hammer, I used 7.5in x 10in (one inch smaller than the standard piece of paper) pages and overlapped them a ton before exporting, but still the original export blew up the size. It was only corrected when I put them through the pdf merger. And like, I measured my pattern once it was assembled and it's the right size, so I have no idea what's going on with it.

Alas, I can't find a way thus far to easily split a pattern across multiple pages (without splitting the vectors apart, which is painful to do). To try and make sure there aren't any scaling issues: I like to put three squared centimeters at the top of the page, right next to each other (accounting for line thickness). When I print it out, if the three cubes add up to three centimeters, I know it is scaled correctly.

Progress has been a bit slow since I've been focusing on cleaning my room and workspace so I'm less stressed while making the hammer. However, I was able to stop by Lowe's and pick up the PVC pipe needed for the build. I'm making it so the main body of the build is detachable from the handle so it is easier to travel with. Parts of the handle will be made thinner to fit my hands more comfortably than shown by the pattern, which should be an easy adjustment. Currently, I'm piecing together the build in my head so I know how to fabricate each piece when I get to it and where to start.
Making it in two parts is a great idea, I’m doing the same thing for the prop I’m building.

Alas, I can't find a way thus far to easily split a pattern across multiple pages (without splitting the vectors apart, which is painful to do). To try and make sure there aren't any scaling issues: I like to put three squared centimeters at the top of the page, right next to each other (accounting for line thickness). When I print it out, if the three cubes add up to three centimeters, I know it is scaled correctly.
That's a good technique, I'll have to try it out

I've made some progress on a few of the components for the gravity hammer and I'm happy that I'm starting to make a dent in the project. I want to have it done by the end of July for a convention. To help me reach my goal date, I have eliminated some of the details that are more difficult to decipher. I have never been one to strive for total screen accuracy, that's just not who I am as a cosplayer, so my goal is to make it recognizable while working within my skill set. A lot of it is going to be guess work and my experience in pattern making that I've utilized in the past. For example, everything from the waist down, the belt, and the shoulder pauldron on my latest spartan armor build were all 100% hand patterned based on online references while the rest of the build was heavily improvised using the Pepakura foam patterns on the forums. There is still a learning curve for me when it comes to Pepakura but hopefully, it will become easier to understand down the road. For now, I'm sticking to what I know with the flat blueprint I made on Inkscape and my own estimates for the 3d aspect of the build.

Screenshot_20230715-144409_Gallery.jpg

I've made some progress on the smaller details of the inner parts of the gravity hammer. Next, I am tackling the bulk of the hammer head and attempting to shape it out as well as I can before adding the parts I have already made to the structure. It's going to a puzzle for sure, but I should be able to figure it out to achieve the general shape and size. At this rate I should have it ready by the convention in two weeks. Fingers crossed that it continues to run smoothly!

Screenshot_20230716-221914_Gallery.jpg

I've made quite a bit of progress in the last couple days on the head of the hammer. The details on the sides took forever! The shape was relatively easy but took a measure twice cut once approach with a lot of sanding to bevel the edges enough to get everything to fit flush. The under part of the hammer might prove to be more difficult because of the sharp angles, but once it is built I can begin planning how I'm going to place the PVC pipe for the handle and secure it. What I have done so far is picture below, minus the mirrored counterparts for the opposite side of the smaller components.

Screenshot_20230717-225344_Gallery.jpg

Today I finished the base for the front of the hammer. I designed the pattern using painter's tape and went with my best judgement, which was good because I really liked the result. I also figured out how I will be mounting the hammer head onto the PVC pipe, but the execution will be putting my skills to the test. I am short for time so I am seriously pushing myself and working on this project for most of the day until I have reached a stopping point. However, tomorrow I will be taking a short break to go get my new license and get my hair done. Hopefully, I will have enough time in the evening to finish the top of the hammer head and possibly the back bit, since that piece has me a bit puzzled on how to achieve the proper shape. Besides that, I'm happy with the progress, fingers crossed I have it finished in time, I really want to avoid to full out con crunch!

Screenshot_20230717-232258_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230718-144317_Gallery.jpg

As a quick update, I have gotten quite a lot done, I've just sucked about taking photos because I've been exhausted but I will be getting some posted soon. I am almost finished with the handle of the hammer, it only needs a few more details and I have to glue a couple things on a bit better. I also ran to Lowe's to get a better connection for where top half connects and it is a lot stronger so I shouldn't have to worry about it coming apart at cons. Then because I hate sanding anything circular, I reduced the size of some parts. They're still fitting and still required over an hour of using my dremel but it should work. I'm hoping to make even more progress tomorrow after giving my work space a quick clean because it is getting pretty bad. Thanks to those who have been encouraging me and coming along for this journey!

This thread is more than 8 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back