halo 3 hunter 10' tall

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today is my 13th anniversary with my beautiful wife , obviously I won't be working on it today:D. I should have it done by next weekend.

I could have sworn the first time I read this yesterday, it just said "so today is my 13th anniversary" and I was like "euh ? wot ?". :) Probably suffering from a major brainf*rt.
Anyhown congrats to you both and we wish you many, many more happy decades to come.

And the build looks awesome. But you already knew that. :)

I could have sworn the first time I read this yesterday, it just said "so today is my 13th anniversary"

It totally did, but made no sense. So I figured I better be more specific. Thanks guys on the complements it is always appreciated.

FINALLY! !! The hardest part so far is finally done. The last thing i have to build is the shield. Unfortunately I forgot to print it when I printed all the other parts, so I now have it printed on letter stock and I will be dropping it off to be enlarged tomorrow.

20160224_200418.jpg

20160224_200436.jpg

20160224_200515.jpg

20160224_200557.jpg

Getting closer to resin stage.

Started the first resin coat tonight. Nothing too exciting, so I will post some pics after I get more of it hardened.

Just about done with the first coat of resin in and out on the chest. Got the first coat on the out side of the the cannon. I will most likely get one good coat on all of it before I get too carried away with the glassing.

20160227_150459.jpg

20160227_150518.jpg

20160227_150532.jpg

20160227_150545.jpg

20160227_150606.jpg

So I started doing a little brain storming. Knowing that it is going to be a nightmare to glass the inside of some of the parts, like the cannon and the left fore arm. I thinking that after I get two good coats of resin on them and install the elbow joints, I am going to fill them up with expanding foam. It will dry rather hard and it is super light weight. I don't know yet, I still have a while before I get to that part.

Be cautious about how much expanding foam you put in because that stuff has been known to warp hardened parts. It would be unfortunate for something like that to happen after so much work.

Not recommended mate. From what I've heard it is too unpredictable of a material to use. It can keep expanding weeks, and even months, later. Too hard to gage how much you're spraying inside. Most go with the Rondo route for fully enclosed spaces. Pour it in, shake it up. Dries fast. Good to go. Nice progress so far!

Be cautious about how much expanding foam you put in because that stuff has been known to warp hardened parts. It would be unfortunate for something like that to happen after so much work.
Yes it will, I have even seen it break windows in new construction. I thinking of using a minimum expansion foam and doing it in 3 inch layers.

Not sure if I want to use the rondo, that stuff would weigh a ton inside the cannon. It's 10 inches in diameter and 32 long.

Yes, I wouldn't recommend rondo in something that large - it would end up being quite heavy and exhausting to wear.

You could try some furniture cushioning. Its light weight, you can cut and sculpt it to any shape you want, and it takes contact cement very well so the installation of it is rather quick. and if you put too much, it's fine. you body will just push it in w/o putting too much strain on the structural integrity. Not worries about cracking your armor. Do not try to heat it to shape!!! it will burn.

Yes, I wouldn't recommend rondo in something that large - it would end up being quite heavy and exhausting to wear.

True, I did not think about weight. Since it is so big, is it crazy to think you could just cut it long ways and fiberglass the two separately and then epoxy them back together?? Or even make your own bolt holes and mount nuts to make the two half shells reattachable like a toy gun would be? Then you could put lights and sound in it! :D

I do like the idea of splitting it, that may be something I will do when I get to that point. I still have a ton of resin to do before I get anywhere close to that part.
I did get the chest hardened and ready for glass and the first coat on the left fore arm. So far I have only used about 1/3 of a gallon of resin, I am thinking that after glass is completely done I will probably have 2 gallons into it.

As I said before, listen to your son. He knows. :)
Don't get me wrong, I think this build would look awesome even if you'd spray it neon green so to speak (please don't :) ) but yes, that color scheme will be perfect.

Gold hunter? I'd defecate a house. It's already looking awesome, but that would add leagues to the badassery of it. Cant wait to see more progress!!

Looks great so far! Definitely a gutsy build. Once you get it done you need to get with the other hunter!

What would really be cool, is to get as many of the convent suits together in one place. Hunters, elites, brutes, jackels, grunts, and have a big "smash the Spartans party"! Make up a bunch of master chief piñatas and see who has the best enegery sword!! :) That would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back