Halo 3 ODST 1st build for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s official guys! And I didn’t do this alone either. I had a ton of help from TillXValhalla. TurboCharizard came in clutch like he does for many and assisted with details, and everyone that followed the build to help with critique and just enjoy the ride. I want to thank each and every one of you guys that took this journey with me and watched my suit turn into what it is. Representing Mountain Regiment out of Colorado! Feet first into hell!!
View attachment 305420
Yea! Get 'em! Awesome work mate!

I started in October of last year and got it done on whatever date I posted the pictures lol keep in mind though I have 3 kids at home, work full time (OT as well), took a few breaks in between (1 of which was almost a month without touching it), and I live in an apartment which means I had to wait for good weather to use my paint shop (the bed of my truck lol). If I did a straight grind, I probably could have got this done in a couple of months if I really put my mind to it. And avoided all human contact lmao

Thanks for the admiration!

Last edited:
I started in October of last year and got it done on whatever date I posted the pictures lol keep in mind though I have 3 kids at home, took a few breaks in between (1 of which was almost a month without touching it), and I live in an apartment which means I had to wait for good weather to use my paint shop (the bed of my truck lol). If I did a straight grind, I probably could have got this done in a couple of months if I really put my mind to it. And avoided all human contact lmao

Thanks for the admiration!
Brother, I started my ODST in December of 2019 and it's not even close to being done. And I have been working consistently. You should be very proud of your work and how quickly you were able to accomplish it. This suit looks awesome congrats! Hope to see you as some cons but if your in CO might be a while...

Brother, I started my ODST in December of 2019 and it's not even close to being done. And I have been working consistently. You should be very proud of your work and how quickly you were able to accomplish it. This suit looks awesome congrats! Hope to see you as some cons but if your in CO might be a while...
Oh dang, well I feel a little better about my timeline lol I thought I had taken a while to get mine done. But thanks man! I am happy and relieved to achieve one of the biggest personal accomplishments I’ve had in years. I’m gonna do my best to get to some cons, especially after finishing this. I’ve never been to one so hopefully my son and I, since we both have ODSTs, can get out and enjoy some!

This looks great, nice job man! I honestly only need to do/redo my legs for my build, and the visuals of yours help out a bunch, thanks.
Thanks for the admiration man, and even better, I’m glad my build could help yours out! If you have any questions about anything else you see on the build please feel free. I had to free hand a few things that weren’t part of any of the templates I had but were definitely on the Rookie Cosplay guide.

Thanks for the admiration man, and even better, I’m glad my build could help yours out! If you have any questions about anything else you see on the build please feel free. I had to free hand a few things that weren’t part of any of the templates I had but were definitely on the Rookie Cosplay guide.
Sure!
It may/may not be stated elsewhere, but is pepakura (papers printed out) able to be transferred onto foam for cutting?
I have the thigh pieces printed out, but idk if those transfer onto foam like any other template. :unsure:

Oh
Sure!
It may/may not be stated elsewhere, but is pepakura (papers printed out) able to be transferred onto foam for cutting?
I have the thigh pieces printed out, but idk if those transfer onto foam like any other template. :unsure:
Oh easily my friend. In fact, I used card stock as my paper templates because I hated how regular computer paper was so flimsy trying to trace larger pieces. If you already printed out the Pep templates, just disregard the tabs and most of the extra slices that are meant to make bends since with foam, you just heat up the foam and bend it yourself. Half of my templates were pep templates as some of the foam files weren’t as detailed for the ODST templates.

Oh

Oh easily my friend. In fact, I used card stock as my paper templates because I hated how regular computer paper was so flimsy trying to trace larger pieces. If you already printed out the Pep templates, just disregard the tabs and most of the extra slices that are meant to make bends since with foam, you just heat up the foam and bend it yourself. Half of my templates were pep templates as some of the foam files weren’t as detailed for the ODST templates.
Oh, for sure! Thank you so much! Do you happen to know the proper dimensions for printing these, actually?
I already printed them out, but they do seem a little tiny and I wanted to make sure they were good to trace and cut. :oops:

Oh, for sure! Thank you so much! Do you happen to know the proper dimensions for printing these, actually?
I already printed them out, but they do seem a little tiny and I wanted to make sure they were good to trace and cut. :oops:
Well it’s really going to be how it’s scaled to you based off your height, leg/thigh length/width/diameter, etc. The best option is to cut them out, and then tape them together, almost as if you’re making the actual pep build, and check the size compared to your thighs by sliding the paper template over your leg. I had to do that many a time and went through a lot of card stock and paper, but it was better to use card stock/paper than to do all of the foam work just to find out it wasn’t the proper size. Use the Rookie Cosplay Guide to see how big they should look on you. If you have a body tape measure, that would help out a bunch too, for measurements. Even after sizing my greaves/shins, I had made them way too big. ArmorSmith saved me though, as that program made it so easy to make things fitted. Luckily because of me making them so big, I was able to take my greaves apart, lay smaller templates over them, recut them, and then voila, made a good set lol if you think yours are too small though, definitely cut out the templates, tape it all together, and slide it over your thigh. Keep in mind too the thickness of whatever foam you’re using and compensate for it fitting more tight.

Well it’s really going to be how it’s scaled to you based off your height, leg/thigh length/width/diameter, etc. The best option is to cut them out, and then tape them together, almost as if you’re making the actual pep build, and check the size compared to your thighs by sliding the paper template over your leg. I had to do that many a time and went through a lot of card stock and paper, but it was better to use card stock/paper than to do all of the foam work just to find out it wasn’t the proper size. Use the Rookie Cosplay Guide to see how big they should look on you. If you have a body tape measure, that would help out a bunch too, for measurements. Even after sizing my greaves/shins, I had made them way too big. ArmorSmith saved me though, as that program made it so easy to make things fitted. Luckily because of me making them so big, I was able to take my greaves apart, lay smaller templates over them, recut them, and then voila, made a good set lol if you think yours are too small though, definitely cut out the templates, tape it all together, and slide it over your thigh. Keep in mind too the thickness of whatever foam you’re using and compensate for it fitting more tight.
That's true, I'll have to try that out then. And I'll take a look at downloading ArmorSmith, as well. (Is that free, btw?)
And do you only need to measure the circumference of your thigh, for example? Or I guess the "height" of you leg, as well?

Thank you in advance, again!
:)

That's true, I'll have to try that out then. And I'll take a look at downloading ArmorSmith, as well. (Is that free, btw?)
And do you only need to measure the circumference of your thigh, for example? Or I guess the "height" of you leg, as well?

Thank you in advance, again!
:)
ArmorSmith is not free, but myself as well as every person on here that has it (and I confidently say everyone) will tell you it’s worth the $30-35 (I can’t remember the exact price lol).

And circumference/height(length) etc. should be measured. Like you’re getting fitted for a tux lol the more measurements, the better. I just saved all of my measurements for everything in my phone, and wrote it down on paper. If you look around on the forum, or even cosplay info in general, there are simple formulas people use to scale their armor, if you don’t want to spend the money for ArmorSmith.

And of course. I was greatly helped throughout the entirety of my build by several members on here, and I’d love to honor them by paying it forward any way I can!

ArmorSmith is not free, but myself as well as every person on here that has it (and I confidently say everyone) will tell you it’s worth the $30-35 (I can’t remember the exact price lol).

And circumference/height(length) etc. should be measured. Like you’re getting fitted for a tux lol the more measurements, the better. I just saved all of my measurements for everything in my phone, and wrote it down on paper. If you look around on the forum, or even cosplay info in general, there are simple formulas people use to scale their armor, if you don’t want to spend the money for ArmorSmith.

And of course. I was greatly helped throughout the entirety of my build by several members on here, and I’d love to honor them by paying it forward any way I can!
Oh man, that's dirt cheap honestly! I was initially thinking of a program that'd be $100+ like a lot of other Microsftish programs that are around. :unsure: I'll have to do that as well, as I've been keeping a whiteboard above my little workshop corner in the apartment here, and it helps just having those little notes around and such.

And you're absolutely honoring them by doing what you're doing! Thankies, bro!
(y)

Oh man, that's dirt cheap honestly! I was initially thinking of a program that'd be $100+ like a lot of other Microsftish programs that are around. :unsure: I'll have to do that as well, as I've been keeping a whiteboard above my little workshop corner in the apartment here, and it helps just having those little notes around and such.

And you're absolutely honoring them by doing what you're doing! Thankies, bro!
(y)
Nope, it’s the same price as the full version of a pepakura designer. And sounds like a perfect place to put the measurements then. I know how it is in regards to having limited space. I’m a 2 bdrm apartment with 5 people, including myself. 3 of which are children, which is why I don’t have a 3D printed lol there is no place it could be placed without the 3 year old burning her hand on it or tampering with prints that would take a few days. But you’re very welcome broski and I hope all the info helps so far. Feel free to hit me up for anything else you may need, either on here or you can message me direct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back