Halo 3 ODST - References and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbsters

Hello new guy here. After I finished another costume I’m working on my ODST build is next. I already purchased the helmet from Branfuhr Studios and I’m looking for some reference pics right now and I have a few questions too. Doing a game accurate build as this is one of my dream costumes and I’m going all out in it

Reference pics first.
There’s a few numbers on the chest plate I’m trying to figure out what they say exactly. If anyone can find better images or already knows what they say I’d greatly appreciate it.
AB8EBEB7-47B8-4792-A3EF-A9350CE64D8F.jpeg
D044C55F-3520-4C2F-9819-6CE4F8D272CB.jpeg

Second reference I’m looking for is more numbers and symbols on the gauntlets.
9E14A9A8-2520-45CD-BB66-EABFEA1567EC.jpeg

I’ve tried finding them but have had a hard time. I’ve look everywhere and in my research I discovered this community. So I signed up in hopes of someone being able to help. And I’m already in one costume club, might as well join another

And finally here’s my question. I wanna do my own original ODST and was wondering if items we don’t see in halo are allowed in this club as long as they fit in the halo aesthetic. I’m planning on carrying a H2A style BR and wanted a magazine bandolier with BR mags similar to the ones in this picture but grey in color instead of OD green. The other costume club I’m in has rules about custom items fitting in the Star Wars aesthetic so I’m wondering if this club has similar rules
3DE5CE71-C023-4112-8A96-91728E3E3667.jpeg

Heya Newbsters, welcome to the 405th! If you want some references, a while back 343i released the in-depth Rookie Cosplay Guide, which may be super helpful to look through.

For your second question, you can absolutely use what you like to build your armour, so long as these pieces are not to be used for physical protection when used with the suit. We're strict on safety, but not on what methods and materials people use to make their costumes and props.

Heya Newbsters, welcome to the 405th! If you want some references, a while back 343i released the in-depth Rookie Cosplay Guide, which may be super helpful to look through.

For your second question, you can absolutely use what you like to build your armour, so long as these pieces are not to be used for physical protection when used with the suit. We're strict on safety, but not on what methods and materials people use to make their costumes and props.
OH. MY. GOD. That is the most amazing and comprehensive guide I have ever seen for a costume. I’m shocked I never found it. Thank you so much. This is going to make my armor even more accurate with all the correct paint codes.

So, for Buck's Chest Plate (And the Rest of Kilo-5 Squad), on his Left, viewer right, it says "MK117" with the Bungie Area Original UNSC Logo.
halo3_odst-buck.jpg

I've dug through my references, and I can't seem to find a clear shot of numbers on the right side of chest plate like you have pictured there. It's faintly visble in the Intro Breifing scenes, but I can't get a good shot of it any later in the game. Since so many of the models share assets through out the game, it should more than likely also be on Dutch, Mikey, Romeo, or The Rookie, just like the MK117, but I can't find it on them, either.

As for the magazine bandolier, you can certainly wear it with your costume, however, if you are going for a Game Accurate Build, as you state in your intro, then I will let you know that such a Bandolier is not accurate or Canon to the Halo 3 or Halo 3: ODST Troopers gear. We do not see any ODSTs in the game with such a bandolier.

So, for Buck's Chest Plate (And the Rest of Kilo-5 Squad), on his Left, viewer right, it says "MK117" with the Bungie Area Original UNSC Logo.
View attachment 309843

I've dug through my references, and I can't seem to find a clear shot of numbers on the right side of chest plate like you have pictured there. It's faintly visble in the Intro Breifing scenes, but I can't get a good shot of it any later in the game. Since so many of the models share assets through out the game, it should more than likely also be on Dutch, Mikey, Romeo, or The Rookie, just like the MK117, but I can't find it on them, either.

As for the magazine bandolier, you can certainly wear it with your costume, however, if you are going for a Game Accurate Build, as you state in your intro, then I will let you know that such a Bandolier is not accurate or Canon to the Halo 3 or Halo 3: ODST Troopers gear. We do not see any ODSTs in the game with such a bandolier.
Is there any kind of bandolier seen in Halo canon that looks like it could hold BR mags?

The annoying thing about the H3 era ODSTs is that they don't seem to carry their ammo. It just kinda magically appears. I think those are actually mag pouches on their chest plates but it's not like you could stick a BR mag there and obviously buck uses an AR so that also wouldn't work. Someone feel free to correct me on this stuff but I have been wondering the same thing and opted away from adding mag pouches because I wanted to stay closer to in game accuracy.

The annoying thing about the H3 era ODSTs is that they don't seem to carry their ammo. It just kinda magically appears. I think those are actually mag pouches on their chest plates but it's not like you could stick a BR mag there and obviously buck uses an AR so that also wouldn't work. Someone feel free to correct me on this stuff but I have been wondering the same thing and opted away from adding mag pouches because I wanted to stay closer to in game accuracy.
Debating if I wanna take some creative liberty and add some kind of mag carriers. Maybe like we see in reach. That’s why I was thinking about the bandolier, I can take it off easily and it’s kind of a call back to WWII airborne. Also wondering what kind of pouch I can use to hold my phone and wallet. All the ODST pouches are too small

Technically you can do whatever you want with your costume, 405th is not as strict as the 501st. You’ll get deployed with a finished costume. If the add ones fit the aesthetic you can use whatever you like and you’ll get deployed and a number ( as far as I’ve seen) id say it’s totally acceptable to use Spartan add-ones for an ODST. It’s fits the universe And makes customizing more interesting. Didn’t dare use a Spartan helmet?

On another note. In one of the references pics, one of my coworkers pointed out that it looks mirrored. I flipped the image and lo and behold. It looks like it says ‘MD ODST MDI’. Anyone else see the same thing or see anything different? Not sure why they’d mirror the letter on that one piece. Also, if that is what it says, any lore guys out there know what it might mean?
6BE0C3E1-BD8B-4D1F-9B5B-57275E0DEBBE.jpeg

Is there any kind of bandolier seen in Halo canon that looks like it could hold BR mags?
No. Bandoliers don't really fit the Halo aesthetic. The only time you ever really see one is in the Original Master Chief concept Art, but in Game you never see an ODST or Marine wearing or utilizing any type of bandolier.

Another question I just thought of. When I start working on my build should I start a separate WIP thread or just post the progress in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back