HALO 3 PEPAKURA By Slyfo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the ODST helmets are probably just the halo 2 version, which is similar, yet still much different.

Now, to slyfo,
PUT SOME FREAKIN EFFORT INTO YOUR MODELS!! Your mauler has SO MANY open edges, and your bicep is the most inaccurate piece I've seen. Most of your pieces don't even have all the correct faces deleted.
I mean, I could have done everything you've done so far (minus the mauler and mine, I don't have them) in less than a week, at the long end.
I might just put the FIXED (no open edges, appropriate faces deleted) armor up in my thread. I think I will.
Expect all the standard def Mk VI, Recon, EOD, EVA, and CQB armor up this week. Just go to my thread (Halo 3 models by Robogenisis).

I think slyfo has kind of abandoned you guys. He said he'd have the EVA and EOD chests up within 2 days, over a week ago.

i couldve done the same thing i just dont have the ability to make threads so i didnt bother nice to see you helping out the community and guys the odst isnt availible because i think were carrying all the same models which are the beta and they are: EOD EVA CQB RECON and the MKVI so until there is another file download or someone extracts them or im wrong, thats all that is availible

Robogenisis said:
Most of the ODST helmets are probably just the halo 2 version, which is similar, yet still much different.

Now, to slyfo,
PUT SOME FREAKIN EFFORT INTO YOUR MODELS!! Your spiker has SO MANY open edges, and your bicep is the most inaccurate piece I've seen. Most of your pieces don't even have all the correct faces deleted.
I mean, I could have done everything you've done so far (minus the spiker and mine, I don't have them) in less than a week, at the long end.
I might just put the FIXED (no open edges, appropriate faces deleted) armor up in my thread. I think I will.
Expect all the standard def Mk VI, Recon, EOD, EVA, and CQB armor up this week. Just go to my thread (Halo 3 models by Robogenisis).

I think slyfo has kind of abandoned you guys. He said he'd have the EVA and EOD chests up within 2 days, over a week ago.

Number one-i haven't uploaded a spiker yet.
2-I would join the edges, they're all joined properly in 3dsmax, but for some reason they split in pepakura and I don't know how to join them, except in the initial "join edges?" dialogue.
3-if you dont like it, go somewhere else. I don't want to have to deal with jerks right now. You like my stuff? fine, that's cool. You don't? Stay out of my topic.

Update for everyone else.
Sorry everyone, another thing came up, i swear if it's not one thing it's another. As soon as my family left after thanksgiving, we learn my grandmother who lives across the street has ****ing cancer. She's going in for surgery tomorrow, so the next..idunno how long, really, is gonna be a mad dash to get everything set up and take care of her. Sorry if people bitch if they don't get what they want hand delivered to them on a silver plate, but sometimes more important crap happens and people don't have time for leisure activities.

Sorry if im being a dick right now but im REALLY REALLY stressed out right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ease up, people. Let's cool the drama before it starts.

Slyfo: if that's the case, then by all means take care of family first. Nobody here is going to stop you, and if they do, then ignore them while the rest of us deal with them.

Robogenisis: back off a little. I was going to post this anyways, and now seems like a good opportunity to:

If you feel you can do better or improve on other people's work, then by all means do it. Don't stand around criticising others for their work.

Now. With all that said, I'll restate.

Slyfo - take time off if you need. We can wait.
Robogenisis: if you want to do better, do so. Nobody is going to stop you.

Ok, slyfo.
To get rid of the open edges, you could try to flip the offending edges

To do this make sure the model is an editable mesh (or mesh edit, something like that). Then switch to the face tool in the editable mesh panel, and select the bad face. Then you scroll down in the editable mesh panel, and press "Flip Faces".

If that doesn't work, you can use milkshape 3d (it's what I use. It sees the models the same as pepakura). It's not as easy to work with (you can only work in the 2D panels). Anyway, select the offending face (select the "select tool" then face at the bottom), and go to the top menu bar, go to "vertex" (maybe "faces") and press "reverse vertex order". This will flip the face. Make sure there are no black faces, and that will make all the open edges go away.
Another thing you can do is highlight all the faces of the model, and press ctrl+W (weld verticies). This will make it so there are no open edges before you "Join Open Edges" in Pepakura.

Sorry for being rude in the earlier post, but you should look closely ingame screenshots to make sure you delete the right faces. The renders aren't always accurate in what it armor and what is under-armor.

As for the spiker, I meant the Mauler.

I have a question though. Did YOU personally extract the models, or did you get them somewhere else?

Robogenisis said:
Ok, slyfo.
To get rid of the open edges, you could try to flip the offending edges

To do this make sure the model is an editable mesh (or mesh edit, something like that). Then switch to the face tool in the editable mesh panel, and select the bad face. Then you scroll down in the editable mesh panel, and press "Flip Faces".

If that doesn't work, you can use milkshape 3d (it's what I use. It sees the models the same as pepakura). It's not as easy to work with (you can only work in the 2D panels). Anyway, select the offending face (select the "select tool" then face at the bottom), and go to the top menu bar, go to "vertex" (maybe "faces") and press "reverse vertex order". This will flip the face. Make sure there are no black faces, and that will make all the open edges go away.
Another thing you can do is highlight all the faces of the model, and press ctrl+W (weld verticies). This will make it so there are no open edges before you "Join Open Edges" in Pepakura.

Sorry for being rude in the earlier post, but you should look closely ingame screenshots to make sure you delete the right faces. The renders aren't always accurate in what it armor and what is under-armor.

As for the spiker, I meant the Mauler.

I have a question though. Did YOU personally extract the models, or did you get them somewhere else?

It sounds like you're telling me how to fix the faces inside an actual modelling program, as I said, the models are properly flipped, welded, attached, everything inside max, it seems to be pepakura that randomly disjoins edges/flips faces. Do you mean there's an editable mesh interface within pepakura itself?

I dislike milkshape, I've since upgraded to 3dsmax 8, upgrading to 9 probably within the year.

Back when I was working on the raw models themselves there were no ingame screenshots or good renders, it was during the early days of the Beta and I had to just kind of eyeball it. No textures for the model + no screenshots makes it VERY hard to see what is armor and what's not.

Yeah, the mauler is screwed to hell and back in places, but it's the best I can make it till I figure some more stuff out in pepakura.

I PERSONALLY extracted these models MYSELF, yes.

Also, I think i've done pretty damn well on this stuff, considering i'd never touched pepakura before I started working on my own permutations. Never even heard of it before the 405th, either.

Slyfo said:
It sounds like you're telling me how to fix the faces inside an actual modelling program, as I said, the models are properly flipped, welded, attached, everything inside max, it seems to be pepakura that randomly disjoins edges/flips faces. Do you mean there's an editable mesh interface within pepakura itself?

I dislike milkshape, I've since upgraded to 3dsmax 8, upgrading to 9 probably within the year.

Back when I was working on the raw models themselves there were no ingame screenshots or good renders, it was during the early days of the Beta and I had to just kind of eyeball it. No textures for the model + no screenshots makes it VERY hard to see what is armor and what's not.

Yeah, the mauler is screwed to hell and back in places, but it's the best I can make it till I figure some more stuff out in pepakura.

I PERSONALLY extracted these models MYSELF, yes.

Also, I think i've done pretty damn well on this stuff, considering i'd never touched pepakura before I started working on my own permutations. Never even heard of it before the 405th, either.
sometimes it will split the edges if theres more than one mesh in the same file, example of this would be if theres was a seprate mesh for 2 faces even if they are joined, pepakura will split them since they are read that way, just merge all meshes together before opening in pepakura. it works for me, but i use metasequoia, who knows how its done on max..

---
edit-
this happens alot when you edit a section and/or fix faces, it will make it on a new mesh by default.

There is nothing you can do about the open edges inside pepakura.
If you do what I told you in 3ds Max or Milkshape 3D, then open the files in Pepakura again, the faces will be fixed.
It isn't Pepakura that randomly flips faces, it's 3ds Max that does that when it Imports/Exports the models.
I use 3ds Max and Milkshape together to make my models.

it seems to be pepakura that randomly disjoins edges/flips faces.
I agree, I model in cinema and I always make sure my normals are aligned properly as I work, pepakura always seems to have problems with it. the only thing I can think might be causing issues for pep is perhaps poor UV's. Because pepakura is pretty much just a UV relaxing tool, if you export a model to it with unclean UVs it might cause problems.. no idea really just a theory

NZ-TK said:
I agree, I model in cinema and I always make sure my normals are aligned properly as I work, pepakura always seems to have problems with it. the only thing I can think might be causing issues for pep is perhaps poor UV's. Because pepakura is pretty much just a UV relaxing tool, if you export a model to it with unclean UVs it might cause problems.. no idea really just a theory

Certain programs don't import/export certain models right (Like 3ds Max, and I guess Cinema). Now before you say "Well maybe Pepakura and Milkshape just import/export the models wrong", When you open the models in Pepakura or Milkshape straight from the game (No editing), they both read the model right. When you open the models in 3ds max straight from game, 3ds Max sees a bunch of reversed faces. That would mean that the Xbox 360 reads the models wrong also, seeing that it doesn't show any back-faces ingame (Back-faces are invisible ingame).

Well maybe Pepakura and Milkshape just import/export the models wrong
Im not blaming pepakura, I think it comes down to the UV data in the file. so really its down to the skill of the modeler in creating clean UV's (which I suck at, its next on my things to learn list)

Cmon guys, give him a break. So what they arent perfect, fix em yourself, if he puts time into making these files than good for him. He is trying to help others out which is fine. If you dont like em, dont use em. Make your own!

stanvo said:
Cmon guys, give him a break. So what they arent perfect, fix em yourself, if he puts time into making these files than good for him. He is trying to help others out which is fine. If you dont like em, dont use em. Make your own!
i agree stop your damn complaining and be gratefully for wat you got

I complained a little, critisized a little, but mostly tried to help (after the first post).
I personally don't like his models. I'm glad he uploaded them, because I think his models are better than the Halo 2 ones, but I think he could have put more effort into them, maybe asked for help with fixing the open edges. My biggest problem with the files is the open edges, and I told him how to fix those. If he doesn't, it's his choice.

This is probably one of my last posts in this topic, so no one else has to tell me to back off.

Hey guys, I don't care what happens here, but family comes first.

So far, everything does look good though.

robbpcslayer said:
is their anyway to NOT download all that crap and get the pepekura files ANYONE!
if i had time i could just email you the pep files but thats a big if i got exams this week

QUOTE(robbpcslayer @ Dec 8 2007, 04:15 AM) *
is their anyway to NOT download all that crap and get the pepekura files ANYONE!

robbpcslayer is there any reason why you are using adam's avatar???? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back