Halo 5: Asset Releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for myself, if I see any file outside of 405th and it's not in the Archive, I'm uploading it anyway. Of course, not taking any credit, just uploading it to share and help.

Just to mention I have the thigh and forearm unfolds for the Hunter armor. Your more than welcome to upload them to the archive if you like.

How and would you want 3D printable assets... Eg I got the base Obj from the archive and then put in the time to make it printable . I want to share that somehow IF I can.

Peter

Great resources, Chernobyl; can't thank you enough for all your effort.

A question: do the raw extracted textures include any alpha channels for color masking?

Attachments

• custom_spartan_render.jpg
    custom_spartan_render.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 594
  • color_test.jpg
    color_test.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 494
Looks fine in white, sure. But like I say, attempting to alter colors is nowhere near as simple as with existing Halo 4 resources. I'm not making any demands, that's for certain, but if the Halo 5 raw files are similar to the Halo 4 ones, then it could help out a lot of people to include color masks.

You can change the colors, but it would affect the whole coloration of the undersuit. But yeah, it would definitely be better with the color layers.

How and would you want 3D printable assets... Eg I got the base Obj from the archive and then put in the time to make it printable . I want to share that somehow IF I can.

Peter

I'm also doing this as well and converting the files to STL files that can be printed on a 3D printer.

Peter we should collaborate to make sure we aren't doing the same work over or help each other.

As for myself, if I see any file outside of 405th and it's not in the Archive, I'm uploading it anyway. Of course, not taking any credit, just uploading it to share and help.

As long as you give full credit to the file author, I'm more than happy for you to do so. The last thing I want is for people to complain that their files were uploaded without credit.

Just to mention I have the thigh and forearm unfolds for the Hunter armor. Your more than welcome to upload them to the archive if you like.

You should have upload permissions for the Archive yourself, there's nothing stopping you from putting up files yourself. If you're having trouble with doing so, let me know and I'll try to get the issue resolved. Also, your work with the undersuit file is incredibly impressive, you'll have to let me know how you achieved that high quality finish.

As long as you specify that the files you upload are suitable only for 3D printing and not for general Pepakura use, there shouldn't be an issue. We do have some 3D print-ready files in the Archive already, and with 3D printing becoming more and more prevalent, it's going to become necessary to have those types of files made available.

Also, shoot me a PM at some point, I need to ask you a few things.

A question: do the raw extracted textures include any alpha channels for color masking?

At some point, yes, I'll make those assets available - my main reasoning for leaving those files out of the currently uploaded packs was that they'd take up more space and make the packs too large for the file limit (5Mb per ZIP file). However, they're not a priority.

As long as you give full credit to the file author, I'm more than happy for you to do so. The last thing I want is for people to complain that their files were uploaded without credit.

If there IS credit anywhere. O.O
I've seen files without any credits :D

If there IS credit anywhere. O.O
I've seen files without any credits :D

If they are not yours and you can not give credit do not do it. From someone who makes models It is rude beyond belief to do this, as it is with all forms of art. Better to ask them to upload it then upload their files. This is of course me speaking as someone who if I saw this happen I would have the files taken down, find out who uploaded them and ask for them to be banned for theft of my work.

If they are not yours and you can not give credit do not do it. From someone who makes models It is rude beyond belief to do this, as it is with all forms of art. Better to ask them to upload it then upload their files. This is of course me speaking as someone who if I saw this happen I would have the files taken down, find out who uploaded them and ask for them to be banned for theft of my work.

What if like what @Marawuff said, there is no credit? I have a file where the only credit that is given is the person who unfolded the file. Just because the modeler didn't put their name in shouldn't mean that the file can't be hosted on the file archive. If the matter was so important, wouldn't the modeler have put his/her name there in the first place? I understand that no one is perfect and people make mistakes. Even if someone comes along and claims they modeled/unfolded the file and they weren't credited, it's really easy to edit the file and say "so and so" modeled the file. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Since this is the Halo 5 asset release thread, I would assume that any work from these assets should be put here in the archive. People worked really hard to get these assets out to the public. It's disappointing to see that some of the unfolding work that came from these assets and such haven't made their way here to the file archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your still posting someone else's work. I mean, let's say you unfolded the Helljumper armour (As example) and you had given it out to 405th users on Facebook as a test maybe. What if one of those users turned round and posted it on the forums. You would feel pretty upset that someone had taken your work and published it.

Compare that to, you have shared it on Facebook and a member comes along and asks if you could upload it to the archive. Not only is it far more polite than going behind the unfolders back, it is just more polite full stop.

If I had make work published like that I would seriously consider posting anything again for others to use if members went behind my back, I would also make sure that the uploader never got my files, because what is to stop them doing something similar elsewhere.

Your still posting someone else's work. I mean, let's say you unfolded the Helljumper armour (As example) and you had given it out to 405th users on Facebook as a test maybe. What if one of those users turned round and posted it on the forums. You would feel pretty upset that someone had taken your work and published it.

Compare that to, you have shared it on Facebook and a member comes along and asks if you could upload it to the archive. Not only is it far more polite than going behind the unfolders back, it is just more polite full stop.

If I had make work published like that I would seriously consider posting anything again for others to use if members went behind my back, I would also make sure that the uploader never got my files, because what is to stop them doing something similar elsewhere.

Had I ever given out the file to other users, I would have known the risks involved with sharing a file. Had I shared that file, I would have explicitly said that it's still a work in progress. Personally, I would never share a file that still needed to be worked on unless I needed help in unfolding/modeling the file. Like I said before, the risks should have been known. I should expect that at least one person out of all the people I shared the file with would want to share it. I don't think I would mind if someone shared my work. As long as they gave credit to the proper people, I'm fine with that. Since we are speaking hypothetically; if I were ever to unfold a file the 405th would be the first place to make its appearance.

I certainly will not disagree with you on asking someone permission to upload the file. But shouldn't the owner have uploaded the file themselves? In regards to Facebook, Chernobyl said it better than I ever could. This is concerning the Halo 5 Assets.

Chernobyl said:
Another double-post, I know, but I think this bears mentioning for those of you that are downloading these files:

If you're using them, please consider contributing by uploading your edited/unfolded files to the Halo 5 Archive. I'm seeing a lot of files making the rounds in the various Facebook groups, but none of those files are making their way back to the 405th, which sort of defeats the point of me having made them available here for the community. The packs I've made available have seen a massive 14,000 total downloads over the past few months, which is absolutely staggering, but I'm unfortunately not seeing a great deal of my hard work in making these files available bearing fruit in the form processed files for builders, which is depressing.

The entire point of this venture was to provide for the 405th community - I have no problems with people using these files and sharing them on Facebook, but please make sure you make them available to our non-Facebook users as well. I've seen some fantastic work done with these files already, and it would be a massive shame to restrict them to only those with access to our Facebook groups. I'll be contacting various users in time to try and encourage them to cross-post their work, but for now, it only remains to be said that I do want to see these files start to become available here as well. We're here as a community, let's not be selfish with these assets.

On a different note, I have a file where the only credit I can give is to the unfolder. Technically, a lot of the work can't be credited so I can't say that this user is the sole source of creating this file. I won't give out names but this specific user has not been active on the forums since the summer of last year. It certainly is polite to ask if I can share the file but should I wait for a response back? What if this user never replies back? Does that mean that because I can't get his permission to host the file that other users can't use the file? In my mind, as long as credit is given in the file archive or being used in a build it's fine.

Chernobyl said it herself,
Chernobyl said:

Alright, people, let's all take a step back before things go nuclear and I have to start cleaning up a nasty argument.

I think you're getting the wrong idea here, so I'll take a second to clarify my point here:

I'm not asking people to simply download a person's work and host it here on the 405th without asking first. We have rules against this sort of thing happening, and the last thing I want or need is for a file creator to lodge a complaint with me for a file being uploaded against their consent. Wherever possible, files must feature full credit to their authors, where such information is available. Unfortunately, some files have lost their tags or their authors are no longer active on the 405th - in such cases, we provide the content and provide as much credit as we're able. If a file contributor either requests that credit be given, or requests their file be removed, then we will honour that request to the best of our abilities.

With that said, I'm seeing an increase in the number of users who sign up to the forums, download the resources I've made available, edit them for community use, and then upload them to other networks than the 405th. This completely defeats the point of my having made those resources available in the first place - these files are primarily for 405th use, not for Facebook groups to sit upon. Forcing members to hunt elsewhere for their files defeats the objective of having the 405th Archive as a one-stop-shop for the community's costuming resources, and frankly, I'm tired of having to direct users elsewhere for their requests.

As Frozensnot has said, it's disappointing to not see a return in the Archive for the work I've put into making these files available. I have no issue with people taking these files, using them, and posting their work elsewhere - I simply ask that they also mirror their files here.

It's very selfish of the community to simply expect these files, take them, use them, and not give something back to the 405th. We're a community that's dependent upon the goodwill of people sharing resources, so let's from here on recommit to sharing here on the 405th.

Last edited by a moderator:
the update isnt even out yet.
the helmet will be almost directly available on the day of release.
the armor will take a bit longer

ready%20for%20war_zpsb48dhrls.png

Sorry for not answering your question earlier with the previous render. Rendering was done in Daz studio with light presets, and I added a few more lights here and there until I was satisfied with the lighting. Also, Daz has a new render engine called NIVIDA, it may take longer for the render to finish, but its definitly a hundred times better than the previous render engine. In other words you get a more realistic image, or better image quality. Not sure, but I believe that the Hermes armor isn't one of the HD armors. So I went ahead and added a darker color of gray to kind of hide the lack of details. Never the less enjoy the renders. And again, thanks for sharing Chernobyl!

Attachments

• ready%20for%20war_zpsb48dhrls.png
    ready%20for%20war_zpsb48dhrls.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 331
Hey guys I really want make the Achilles, if you find the original model I can unflod and share here :D

As soon as the files become available they'll be uploaded. I'm currently in the process of finishing up a few conversions and then we'll be more-or-less up to date with the currently-available content. Please don't make requests in this thread, though - I'm working as hard as I can to get things all sorted and online for you.

Sorry for not answering your question earlier with the previous render. Rendering was done in Daz studio with light presets, and I added a few more lights here and there until I was satisfied with the lighting. Also, Daz has a new render engine called NIVIDA, it may take longer for the render to finish, but its definitly a hundred times better than the previous render engine. In other words you get a more realistic image, or better image quality. Not sure, but I believe that the Hermes armor isn't one of the HD armors. So I went ahead and added a darker color of gray to kind of hide the lack of details. Never the less enjoy the renders. And again, thanks for sharing Chernobyl!

Ah, that answers a lot of questions. I may indeed have to poke you with a render request down the line - I'm going to be using some of my upcoming downtime to access the colour control maps and updating the packs to feature all skins, so you'll probably need to keep an eye on this thread for a release notification. Also: the Hermes armour *should* be HD, I've updated the Archive with HD assets and currently own all Campaign armour sets save Tanaka's Technician armour.

Sure thang! Totally don't mind doing a render, or 2. Got the Copperhead suited up also, but the finger plates are more custom. The hand plates is what usually takes the longest to get situated right on to the hands. Also, just checking to make sure. I know we have the campaign armors, but still no campaign undersuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back