Halo 5; Spartan Vale Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXGhostArcherXx

Hey guys,
Huge noob here who for some unknown lapse of judgment decided that it would be a good idea to make her first armor build be one from halo 5. I love halo, and I remember being a little sprout and getting the original xbox with halo in a bundle, and man what a trip it has been. For a while I wanted to make an armor set, but I was just too terrified of ending up burning down the house in my attempts. Finally, though after long thought and convincing friends (and as I mentioned earlier a moment of weakness) I decided to get a go at it. I've been working on this for about half a year on and off, with college heavily breathing down my neck it is hard to make time, but I am almost done and am planning to wear it to katuscon in a couple weeks. I just finished building it yesterday and prepping it for paint right now. As I said that I have been working on this for a while my pictures are minimum, also because I am awful at remembering to document everything. I get excited and like a derailed train just go berserk and before I know it, it's too late and nothing can save me. Well that's all fine and well, so let's get into it.

If anyone doesn't know what Spartan Olympia Vale looks like, I have posted one of the pictures that I used as reference.

Alright, well guys, I am a big believer in patterns, I don't cut foam or fabric before I have made a pattern out of paper, so every single piece on this build had a pattern to it, which I don't have anymore. After I cut out the foam piece I usually ended up making a smaller pattern from the old one to reuse paper and then just threw it away, but that's my thought process.

First I bought one of those foam heads that you can get at any joann's or craft stores. The problem with those is that they are very small, so I just measured my head in various parts and wrote down the measurements. I then took the foam head and bunched up some napkins and tapes them down until I got the measurements I wanted and then taped the whole thing. After that I put saran wrap and then another layer of tape and drew out the patterns I needed and then cut them out. I used a motorcycle shield as the face piece for the helmet. In the image it looks a little crooked in the chin area, I think it's just the angle I took the picture, sorry about that, and I did a lot of fixing up the edges and such before I moved on. Then I just slathered on some modge podge and hardened that beast up and it is ready for paint.

For my body I just made a torso mannequin like thing for myself by wrapping saran wrap and then tapping and then cutting myself out and retapping and stuffing. The image of my torso is after I made the mannequin and when I began building the under suit. For my arms and legs I kinda just measured my body as I went and made patterns and placed them on my body and went back and forth until I had a pattern I was happy with. Also I glued my armor to fabric so that I can have it in pieces and attach it all together easier. You will see what I mean later
20161020_144426.jpg

Resized_20161020_144421.jpeg

Resized_20161010_121225.jpeg
Resized_20160620_152411.jpeg

kyle-hefley-vale-page-03.jpg

Hey guys, ready for another post?
I was going to post the under suit, but it's still getting some coats of plastidip, so that will come later. Today I will show you my main chest piece.

So as I said earlier I love patterns, and that is how I built this piece right here. Basically I just measured myself about how big I wanted a piece to be and then drew it on paper and cut it out and placed it in the area that it was supposed to go on my body and saw whether I like it or not. If I didn't I simply redid it until I did. This way I didn't waste any foam and knew exactly how everything was going to fit before I combined it together. I used a heat gun to shape the foam into the curves that I needed. I also used parachute clips to allow myself to get in and out of it easily. I added a thin layer of 3mm foam on the inside to give it a better look and then I mod podged the outside with about 3 layers until I got a hard surface that I was happy with. It fits nicely, a little snug, but that's fine I'd rather it be too tight than too loose and falling off me. It's now ready to be painted!

Resized_20161229_135321.jpeg Resized_20170202_192844.jpeg Resized_20170202_192855.jpeg Resized_20161229_135308.jpegResized_20170202_192915.jpeg

Definitely one ofe the more complicated armor sets. Out of the all new ones in Halo 5 Copperhead is my 2nd favorite- Helioskrill comes first. Curious how it turns out fully painted...

Fantastic foam work xXGhostArcherXx. I like the idea of the inner 3mm foam lining. It would give the whole chest piece increased integrity. I've heard of the mod podge sealing method but I'm leaning towards caulk. I'm concerned that using glue would harden it but the foam underneath would prove to flexible for the glue.

Wow! Definitely following. I had thought about how cool it would be to build her, but I was scared. Major props! Looks amazing so far!

Following too! Really curious on how you're going to make that ab/chest piece too. Do you plan on making it moveable or will it just be one solid piece?

Thank you guys! My under suit is mostly done so when I finish it I will post myself in it, I just have to add some snaps where the bottom and torso pieces meetup. The under suit is all foam with some light layers of plastidip, so it's flexible. I'll talk more about that when I post it. But for now I will post my shin and thigh pieces for you guys!

If you look at the way Vale's armor is her shin and thighs have no back, so what I did was just make it and added velcro to the insides and then the other side of the velcro on the under suit. It seems to hold up great. I put on the pants of the under suit and the armor pieces and walked around and it seemed to stay fine. The thighs and shins don't move as much anyway so I think it will hold up nicely. As you can see on my right thigh I have added snaps. This is for the magnum gun that will be at my side. At first I tried using magnets but the magnets I had were not strong enough so on a whim I tried using snaps, not thinking that it would work, but it works beautifully. My mom has this industrial snap thing that she used a lot when she sewed all the time, now she doesn't sew as much but doesn't want to get rid of her stuff, which is good for me! My point is that this snap thing (honestly have no idea what it is called) is not one of those hand ones you can buy at a craft store. So what I did was just basically slice my foam in half in parts and added the snap and then reglued the foam to give it the original thickness and extra support. Then for the gun I just put the snaps on a thin piece of foam and glued it to the gun and put mod podge on it to keep it from falling and ripping off. It works amazing. The gun stays in place and I can remove it without trying to be careful. It just snaps right off without too much resistance and snaps back on.
Resized_20170207_095645.jpeg Resized_20170207_095640.jpeg Resized_20170207_095622.jpeg Resized_20170207_095617.jpeg

Thanks for the support! I'll post some more stuff tomorrow!

Fantastic foam work xXGhostArcherXx. I like the idea of the inner 3mm foam lining. It would give the whole chest piece increased integrity. I've heard of the mod podge sealing method but I'm leaning towards caulk. I'm concerned that using glue would harden it but the foam underneath would prove to flexible for the glue.
The caulk sounds good too, but the thing is I wanted it to be slightly soft so that it would be more comfortable for me but still give that hard look. I like the mod podge because I can still slightly bend it if I need to.

Following too! Really curious on how you're going to make that ab/chest piece too. Do you plan on making it moveable or will it just be one solid piece?
It is one solid piece but it is flexible since it's foam and I just added light layers of plastidip. I also have some slight "artistic" gaps here and there where you can see the fabric underneath, this is so that I have some flexibility as well. I'll talk more about it when I have the under suit done

nice work! man, people just keep getting better and better at this stuff...I've gotta step up my game! :p

Sorry guys, I promised I would post today but honestly I don't really have anything to post. I am making some changes to my under suit so that I can put it on easier, but I will have it done in the next couple days so watch out for that. For now I'll just post my gloves. They are made of foam with a fabric piece with snaps so that I can attach it to my arm pieces and not have any skin showing underneath. I did a couple layers of plastidip and they look good. They are flexible and I can move my fingers quite nicely. I scored the inside of the foam where the gloves are a lot to make them very flexible and bendable and I am able to bend my fingers into a fist very easily. They are thick, but they are supposed to be armor so that's fine.
Resized_20170118_205354.jpeg

Sorry I don't have anything more. I have been painting like crazy today trying to get as much of the armor done as I can. Just a couple more days and the set will be done! Fingers crossed I don't have any major setbacks!

Hey guys,
Sorry for the long absence. I have been painting like crazy for the past few days. I am almost done painting the whole thing, so it will be ready either today of tomorrow! For now, here is my completed helmet to hold you guys over.

Now for my suit, although I went off of Spartan Vale's armor, I did not make it exactly to how she has it for two reasons.
1. I don't have the ability to make it that way
2. I like it better the way I did it
An example of one is the helmet, with the line down the forehead area. I had a large seam there that I didn't sand down enough and was still visible so I made it part of the paint job. An example of two would be the weathering. Her armor is not as weathered as I made mine, but I personally like the very worn look.

I can't wait to show you the rest!
Resized_20170214_091102.jpeg

*TRUMPET SOUNDS*

GUYS! I AM DONE!!

There are a couple things that I wish I did differently, but overall I think it is not bad for my first build. Sorry I don't have any back pictures. I got too excited and I already took the armor off and don't feel like putting it back on, but don't worry, more pictures will be coming soon if you guys want them! I'm working on finishing the paint job on the guns, so that will be coming soon as well!

Resized_20170214_175159.jpeg Resized_20170214_175211.jpeg Resized_20170214_175220.jpeg

FANTASTIC!!!! Great job on the build. Paint really make the armor look metallic. You really threw this together in a hurry. Very impressed. Need more detailed pic ......even if they are the finished product.

Thank you! I have been working on this armor for on and off for about half a year, but I didn't want to post anything until I was sure I was going to finish it. Last month I was working on it all month and now it is finally complete!

My under armor is in many different pieces so that I can put it on easier. I have my two arm pieces, two shin pieces, my torso piece and my thigh and knee piece. It is all held together with snaps and it fits great. I also tried to make the under suit look a little "dirty" since I thought it wouldn't make sense if the armor was all weathered and the under suit was perfect, so I don't know if you can see in some of the pictures but I tried to make it look a little splotchy.

Here are some individual pieces.... when I go to the con this weekend I'll have more full body pictures!

Resized_20170215_095922.jpeg Resized_20170215_095929.jpeg Resized_20170215_095933.jpeg Resized_20170215_100005.jpeg Resized_20170215_095917.jpeg Resized_20170215_100018.jpeg Resized_20170215_100045.jpeg Resized_20170215_100112.jpeg Resized_20170215_100141.jpeg Resized_20170215_100157.jpeg Resized_20170215_100207.jpeg Resized_20170215_100223.jpeg Resized_20170215_100234.jpeg

Wow!!! great job. Really great. If I may make a suggestion.....don't only put scratches and weathering along seams and edges......granted it does conceal them but it also brings focus to those areas only.......if you randomize the locations it will give a more realistic battle damage appearance.

Which con are you attending?

Wow!!! great job. Really great. If I may make a suggestion.....don't only put scratches and weathering along seams and edges......granted it does conceal them but it also brings focus to those areas only.......if you randomize the locations it will give a more realistic battle damage appearance.

Which con are you attending?
Thank you! Yes please! All the criticism and advice is always wanted! I am always looking at improving and others are always better at pointing out things I might not see!

That would make it look better! Would you recommend I just paint scratches or go in with an exacto knife and create them and then make the paint settle in the scratches?

I am going to Katsucon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back