Halo Augmented Reality System

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is looking great! I was thinking about doing something like this a while ago but never got around to it. Good luck! Just a quick question, do you plan on using any lenses to decrease eye fatigue?

This is looking great! I was thinking about doing something like this a while ago but never got around to it. Good luck!
Thanks for the support, I'll be making all my code open source and downloadable at the end of this project so you can take that to use if you want for your own if you want to do it, :)

If you're interested, the ARGUS armour has a custom HUD, you can find an example of it HERE.
Thanks Chernobyl, this is really useful, I'll see what I can do to create a HUD based on this with my artwork skills, it's a shame, I can only create things in a res of 432 by 240 due to the headset I'm using but I can probably make it look half decent....... I hope ;)

Thanks Chernobyl, this is really useful, I'll see what I can do to create a HUD based on this with my artwork skills, it's a shame, I can only create things in a res of 432 by 240 due to the headset I'm using but I can probably make it look half decent....... I hope ;)

The best idea would be to create your image on an up-scaled canvas (1728 x 960 would be your best bet) using fine lines (1px or less, I'd use Paint Tool Sai for this) and then downscale it when you're ready. This will help you preserve detail without making your HUD look choppy.

EDIT: I could have a go once I have my tablet hooked back up and Sai reinstalled. Maybe early next week, and then get along with working on your unfolds?

The best idea would be to create your image on an up-scaled canvas (1728 x 960 would be your best bet) using fine lines (1px or less, I'd use Paint Tool Sai for this) and then downscale it when you're ready. This will help you preserve detail without making your HUD look choppy.

EDIT: I could have a go once I have my tablet hooked back up and Sai reinstalled. Maybe early next week, and then get along with working on your unfolds?

Thanks for the tips, really appreciated, I've accidentally already started doing what you've said but only because I was too lazy to change my canvas size, ;) it should be alright, I do a bit of art in my free time so it shouldn't be to bad, I'll just hook up a graphics tablet and try and dig out my old laptop that has photoshop on, and I think I should be alright with the unfolds. I have the file you did for the helmet core and the attachments seem straightforward enough.... Well you know what they say, famous last words, ;) anyway, thanks Chernobyl I really appreciate all the support, :)

So for those of you who don't know what augmented reality is, it's the usage of technology to superimpose a computer-generated image on a user's view of the real world, pretty damn cool.

I intend to create a pepakura Halo 5 Argus helmet, this is the easy bit (never thought I'd say that considering all the sanding involved), the hard part is the augmented reality system;
This will be done via coding a program on my desktop using Python (a coding language, I'll be using IDLE 3.2 for those interested) and a package called OpenCV (link here for those interested: http://opencv.org/),

I'll be coding a system that will overlay a Spartan GUI onto my view of reality using this software, for those really interested the nerdy bit goes into detail below, for those interested in pretty pictures I don't have many but look bit further down ;).

OpenCV is essentially pattern recognition software it can be used to recognise objects in images, easier said than done.... so I'll be interfacing this software with Python and putting the compiled (roughly as python is interpreted) code onto a Raspberry Pi 2,
this is essentially a micro computer small enough to be concealed in a helmet and with very low power consumption, due to the limitations of reality for a non-multi millionaire I can't technically create a true augmented reality system, instead I have to create and image to export into a virtual reality system, the conventional VR headsets cost a good few hundred pounds, so a no go there, instead I'm mounting a screen (of undermined as of yet nature) inside a phone VR sytem, currently I have in mind the FreeFly VR headset (https://www.freeflyvr.com/), sounds simple right.......... ;)

Fun Picture Section:
The Raspberry Pi computer to be mounted in the helmet:
View attachment 24945
The computer plugged in and turned on: (the module attached by the white ribbon cable is the camera)
View attachment 24946
A Halo inspired HUD overplayed onto a live video stream:
View attachment 24947

So the helmet,
for this helmet I planned to make an Argus helmet from Halo 5, partially because I like the design and partially because it has lots of empty space to hide electronics in. Unfortunately as far as I know of this helmet hasn't been unfolded yet, but that's no disappointment as I'll need to modify it anyway to accommodate all the gear I need to cram inside. For those who haven't seen the Argus helmet it's the one used by Linda-058 and it looks like this:
View attachment 24948

Anyway, all feedback is greatly appreciated, and happy costuming.

How are you going to put it in you're helmet. I'm interested In doing a hop up for my odst helmet. If you could describe the hardware and software needed that would really make me day. Good luck.

... were going to get a hud system we can all use ye$!
Well....... ;) nah, I'll try and make the end result of this as openly accessible as possible but this may take some time to get to that level, in an ideal world I'll have it to the point where I can make an installer for it and it's as easy as that, but that's a long way away so I'll have to improvise on how to get this out to people until then :)

How are you going to put it in you're helmet. I'm interested In doing a hop up for my odst helmet. If you could describe the hardware and software needed that would really make me day. Good luck.
I'll start with a hardware list (as it currently stands):
Raspberry Pi 2
HDMI to AV Cable
Cinema Goggles (specifically these in mind at the moment)
Some Lipo batteries
A 5v converter
And that's it at the moment, so with the hardware done onto the software, I'm currently coding this myself so there is no real software for it, once I'm done though I should be able to make an image of my Raspberry Pi available which will have all the files required for it to run, but that's some time in the future for now, so for now there is no real software list but everything I'll be using for software should be free. Thanks, good luck with your ODST build.

Wow you moved fast on this. Its awesome to see it implemented so quickly. Can't wait for more.
Thanks, I'm having a great time doing it, :)

Anyway, update time, more work has been done on the coding side, so no really pretty pictures sorry ;)
So the nerdy part: using a built in Haar Cascade system in OpenCV I have implemented facial recognition into the system, for now it operates on a single image, unfortunately full video compilation will have to wait a day as I have more pressing matters, but here is the code for this segment as it stands:
Code.PNG
and the result:
face_detected.PNG
It works! Our system now recognises faces, for those of you wondering about the strange image blur that was on the image when I got it......
So the next step from here is to put this into the other code for operation on a live video stream and see how it fares,

Thanks for all the support recently, and all feedback is greatly appreciated, hope you all enjoy, :)

I have a question about this part, how is it going to work at a con where its going to overload the system in like a matter of seconds.

So for those of you who don't know what augmented reality is, it's the usage of technology to superimpose a computer-generated image on a user's view of the real world, pretty damn cool.

I intend to create a pepakura Halo 5 Argus helmet, this is the easy bit (never thought I'd say that considering all the sanding involved), the hard part is the augmented reality system;
This will be done via coding a program on my desktop using Python (a coding language, I'll be using IDLE 3.2 for those interested) and a package called OpenCV (link here for those interested: http://opencv.org/),

I'll be coding a system that will overlay a Spartan GUI onto my view of reality using this software, for those really interested the nerdy bit goes into detail below, for those interested in pretty pictures I don't have many but look bit further down ;).

OpenCV is essentially pattern recognition software it can be used to recognise objects in images, easier said than done.... so I'll be interfacing this software with Python and putting the compiled (roughly as python is interpreted) code onto a Raspberry Pi 2,
this is essentially a micro computer small enough to be concealed in a helmet and with very low power consumption, due to the limitations of reality for a non-multi millionaire I can't technically create a true augmented reality system, instead I have to create and image to export into a virtual reality system, the conventional VR headsets cost a good few hundred pounds, so a no go there, instead I'm mounting a screen (of undermined as of yet nature) inside a phone VR sytem, currently I have in mind the FreeFly VR headset (https://www.freeflyvr.com/), sounds simple right.......... ;)

Fun Picture Section:
The Raspberry Pi computer to be mounted in the helmet:
View attachment 24945
The computer plugged in and turned on: (the module attached by the white ribbon cable is the camera)
View attachment 24946
A Halo inspired HUD overplayed onto a live video stream:
View attachment 24947

So the helmet,
for this helmet I planned to make an Argus helmet from Halo 5, partially because I like the design and partially because it has lots of empty space to hide electronics in. Unfortunately as far as I know of this helmet hasn't been unfolded yet, but that's no disappointment as I'll need to modify it anyway to accommodate all the gear I need to cram inside. For those who haven't seen the Argus helmet it's the one used by Linda-058 and it looks like this:
View attachment 24948

Anyway, all feedback is greatly appreciated, and happy costuming.
how do you plan on seeing the hud and the world outside the helmet with these?

Sorry for the long update time, I went down with an infection for a couple of weeks so no real progress had been made.

I have a question about this part, how is it going to work at a con where its going to overload the system in like a matter of seconds.
This is correct, it would recognise and highlight every face, but this is more proof of concept then final implementation, in the final system I will have it recognising specific objects as generic face recognition would go mad and would probably crash the system.

how do you plan on seeing the hud and the world outside the helmet with these?
Basically the code with overlay my HUD and a stream of the outside world into one video stream I will view using a set of video goggles.

Any updates?
Unfortunately not at the moment but I'll hopefully have some progress soon.

My mind just officially blew sky high. "BOOM mind flying in the air." Sorry RDM(random dork moment.):facepalm
Thanks man, hope you enjoy following this.

That's unfortunately all for now, but I should have some progress made in the next week, thanks all for following and your comments and support are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back