I posted a while ago that I was going to make a magnet mount for my AR. Well... I've changed my mind. I'm not going to do that. But I'm still going to make a magnet mount for the Sidekick, and a under-suit.
I recently started work on the helmet, and I've gotta tell you. It was a pain! But all very worth it in the end.
First I had to spend a while sealing all the holes and seems in the helmet, as well as adding the details.
After that I sprayed on 3 coats of plasti-dip and primer.
After it was finished priming I painted on two coats of my green paint.
After the helmet was finished, I had to start making the visor. Which wasn't easy. I first cut out the general shape from a sheet of 2mm plexiglass. After that I shaped it with a heat gun, and got the curve.
After that part was done, it was on to window tinting. I was able to make a good base layer for the visor with the plexiglass glass. It took a couple tries, but I got the hang of it.
Next I had to make the detail layer, and this part scared me. I only had four sheets of plexiglass and already used one for the base layer. This detail visor you see took me three tries.
Also took a couple tries to tint the detail, but it came out nice.
I finally had the bulk of the helmet done. And after some weathering and more tweaks I was able to achieve my greatest work of all.
The lights were made with cheap finger lights that fit into slots so I can change them out in the future. Also something funny happened at the end of making this helmet. I was spraying some matte clear coat onto the helmet to protect the paint, but I forgot to cover the visor. I was so scared. I thought I had ruined my helmet. And I did... for only five minutes. I learned that I could scratch it off the visor, so I used it to my advantage. I scratched most of it off leaving some of it behind to make a grime on the visor. This made it look even better. I am so happy with this helmet. All that's left now is to paint the rest of the suit, and make some tweaks to make it all more comfortable.