Halo Infinite VK78 Commando - July 23rd Game Trailer Demo Version

TurboCharizard

RXO and BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Stream Team
Member DIN
S068
Back at it again with another Infinite prop based off what we've seen in the reveal trailer and now oddly enough, Monster Energy Drink promotions. This thread will serve three purposes.
  1. Be a repository and reference for others who are also searching for images to use for their own Commando builds.
  2. Act as a permanent link for free printable files for what I've designed.
  3. Showcase the build process as any other build thread.
This first post is reserved as an index for the rest of the thread and will be updated as the build progresses.

Reference Images (343 Industries sources)
CAD References Images (Self made)
Build Pack Files
Materials Used
Finished Photos

VK78Render.gif

Last edited:
The model for the VK78 Commando was built using a series of stills from the Infinite Playable Demo Trailer to produce the highest detail model possible. On an initial attempt I had done some janky geometry to estimate the angle at which the most "in frame" VK78 Commando was laying and then used that as a baseline for other things, it was time consuming, messy and was put aside. Luckily Monster Energy Drink showed off their black and green skin version earlier this week in full side profile. Combining these two reference sets I could then get exact measurements on key features and add in detail as necessary that was visible within the trailer that wasn't discernible within the black and green colour scheme.

Monster Energy Drink Skin Reference
commando_rifle_Full.jpg

Trailer Stills
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png
11.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
15.png
16.png
17.png
18.png

VK78 HUD Icon.png

New UNSC Aquila for Etching
image2019.png

Last edited:
side weapon preview
Turbo: Weapon time
It was actually just a kick since I was most of the way through a profile sketch almost a month ago using some janky geometry to estimate angles. This way I have "exact" angles for things on one side and can estimate others based on thickness relative to other known object values like a barrel diameter.

Here we are again with an update to how things went in Fusion360. I'm not going to say that I had the most fun time (the Text tool and Extrude tool weren't playing nice) but I pushed through the fourteen or so hours working on this over two nights and have a printable prototype that's going onto the machines.
VK78 Commando Drawing.png

This time I went for a more comfortable human scale as opposed to the monstrosity that was the Mangler. Everything is based off the etching of 6.5mm matching the barrel size on this model to 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC for ease of assembly for everyone. As with most of my props, there's also 5mm steel rods running through the majority of it for strength and alignment assistance during assembly.

Once I've got the parts printed and test fit I'll be including a zip file of parts so everyone can play with a thing that has had some semblance of QC.
VK78SideProfile.png

On Facebook I was asked if I was going to do a foam unfold and clocking in at 254k polygons, Armorsmith did this. Maybe? Frankly, I'm terrified.
1599098510835.png

I think the blueprint with the orthographic views of the rifle will already work wonders for foam building
And if they're editable as a vector file, maybe even laser cutting
I usually export drawings to PDF for usability by others but Fusion can also output DWG and DXF. Depending on your laser suite DXF is perfect.

Test prints successful, printers, START YOUR ENGINES.
1599964363449.png

Everything is prepped for builders with 200mm square printbeds and 300mm square printbeds. For the center support rod and barrel you will need a 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe that is approximately 800mm long. To make life easier there's also channels for steel support rods through the majority of the length of the rifle to add some extra strength and make assembly simple.

All said and done you'll need
  • ~1.2kg filament of choice
  • 800mm 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC
  • 1.5m of 5mm steel rods
  • 20mm x 10mm of PETG for HUD insert
Any file that ends with a "2" needs to be duplicated.

Below is the thing that you guys want though. Please respect the Creative Commons licensing stamped inside, I designed these files for the 405th folks to have fun with and help everyone get excited for Infinite, I don't want to see people selling these as kits or castings.

Good luck, have fun.

EDIT
Since I didn't have the vinyl I wanted to use for the HUD ammo counter I went and made an easier to use one that doesn't require electronics. I've attached a scaled PDF of the printable HUD I ended up using.

VK78 Commando Trailer Version Filepack

Attachments

• HUD Inset.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Test prints successful, printers, START YOUR ENGINES.
View attachment 296155

Everything is prepped for builders with 200mm square printbeds and 300mm square printbeds. For the center support rod and barrel you will need a 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe that is approximately 800mm long. To make life easier there's also channels for steel support rods through the majority of the length of the rifle to add some extra strength and make assembly simple.

All said and done you'll need
  • ~1.2kg filament of choice
  • 800mm 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC
  • 1.5m of 5mm steel rods
  • 20mm x 10mm of PETG for HUD insert
Any file that ends with a "2" needs to be duplicated.

Good luck, have fun.

BY THE RINGS :love:
I'll see if I can fit it in my two weeks prop vacation making time :p

I've gone a bit further in sanding and assembly and basically gone through the parts bin to guarantee fit of everything. Due to local air quality (west coat fires) I can't really progress much further with fillers and primers safely so I might be stopping here for a bit until the air is less chunky.

1600272737672.png

I've gone a bit further in sanding and assembly and basically gone through the parts bin to guarantee fit of everything. Due to local air quality (west coat fires) I can't really progress much further with fillers and primers safely so I might be stopping here for a bit until the air is less chunky.

View attachment 296387

IMG_20200916_160652.jpg

f2d8fe92ebff8a65b3362d00422d69a2f366e807_hq~2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back