Halo/Marvel Mashup (foam attempt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wo1verine

Hello all!

I've been lurking 405th for years, and finally decided to make an account to share my new project, and (hopefully) get some pointers as I dive into foam. A couple years ago I made a custom Reach set completely using Pep, so I wanted to avoid doing that again.

What I decided to try now is a mashup of halo and everyone's favorite mutant, Wolverine. I'm currently pepping a Locus helmet (using satchmo III's model) for a prototype, then seeing where I can incorporate the ears of Wolverine's cowl before starting on the foam. Hopefully (schedules and weather permitting) I can update progress in a timely fashion. You all have been an inspiration for me since I first came here in 2010!

Attachments

• 228548_10151178629915837_739934909_n.jpg
    228548_10151178629915837_739934909_n.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 994809_10152941658295341_1905990179_n.jpg
    994809_10152941658295341_1905990179_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 221
would it be possible for a spring retraction of the claws because that would be a fine touch

That would be pretty cool. If you look up "Colin Furze Wolverine claws" on Youtube it's a pretty sweet fabrication. Might be a bit much for a set of armor though.

Looking forward to the progress on this!

Far as the claws go: I've an Idea to use the H4 MC forearm, extend the top to reach to the knuckles and encase some plexiglass claws with a spring base that I can pull back and lock with a pull lever of sorts. Then to unsheath them, just trip the switch and let 'em fly!

Far as the claws go: I've an Idea to use the H4 MC forearm, extend the top to reach to the knuckles and encase some plexiglass claws with a spring base that I can pull back and lock with a pull lever of sorts. Then to unsheath them, just trip the switch and let 'em fly!
That would be amazing to behold, dude, although I can already imagine the complaints from Convention security at the cosplay check-in booth :p

Well, the prototype was a tad small, assembly a little rough, but hey, that's what prototypes are for. This is the general look I'm going for:
GetInline_zps2ozjqjpn.jpg

Now that I have physical idea of where most of the major folds/surfaces and such are gonna be, it's time to start looking at turning the pep into a more foam friendly version.

20160218_214852_zpsxdnrd9sl.jpg

20160218_215329_zps0r268dbw.jpg

I'm gonna probably end up tweaking the helmet a bit by taking out that little square in the back, and just making it one smooth line to the ear circle.

That's all for now! Gonna be a spell while I tweak the pep files and gather supplies.

Update time.

Turns out, I bit off more than I could chew with the Locus helmet. After several failed attempts, gratuitous amounts of profanity, and deep soul searching, I have decided to go the Venator way for the helmet. I'll update soon as I can.

Another thought on the claws if you're using clear acrylic for them you could try and do some king of lighting int he housing to make them glow like the energy swords.
That might once again be biting off more than you wan to chew though.

Another thought on the claws if you're using clear acrylic for them you could try and do some king of lighting int he housing to make them glow like the energy swords.
That might once again be biting off more than you wan to chew though.

Well. I hadn't thought of that. I'll take it step at a time, but now I REALLY want to do that.

Well, lots of life happened, so it's been a while since I've been able to work on this set. I've finally gotten some free time back and will be marathoning and updating as much as I can in the meantime to keep everyone in the loop! Finished putting together the shoulders last night, and on to the boots for the next part.

20160815_012036.jpg
20160729_131907.jpg
20160729_131914.jpg
20160729_131921.jpg

The locus helmet looks amazing, its like it was made to have ear horn things of wolverine on it. Also, what locus helmet template/pep did you use?

That's what I thought too, although I don't know if I'll be able to do that one mostly because I'm working out of an apartment complex, and I'm not skilled enough with foam to try and recreate it, but I'm saving the helmet for last. The file I used is the Locus concept by Satchmo III. Great pep and unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back