Halo Odst Cosplay Assistance. Help a Lamb Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I want make a Halo Odst costume but I'm having some trouble starting it. Can someone give me adivce?

I hope everyone is having a nice day!

Sincerely

Michael Lamberti

Hey Michael, if you're fresh into the world of cosplay and are looking at getting your feet wet with an ODST I will always recommend AndrewDFT for the simple to follow, step by step instruction with good patterns and fun videos.

The only word of warning with his tutorials are that they aren't exact game replicas but they're good to look at and will get the ODST vibe across.

PaiganBoi has recently made an awesome ODST that follows the Halo 3: ODST files from The Armory and is a good wealth of information for an ODST foam build.

If you want to go with a more durable and very accurate kit build, the Sean Bradley kits are fantastic with the only downside is that they're one size fits most and they require a bit of tweaking to fit some people.

Hello,

I want make a Halo Odst costume but I'm having some trouble starting it. Can someone give me adivce?

I hope everyone is having a nice day!

Sincerely

Michael Lamberti
Best advice I can give is...
DO LOTS OF RESEARCH

and i don't mean on patterns and stuff i mean on foam cutting and getting clean folds and things like that. an example is my pep things are warped because I didn't research hardening and had no supports in the pieces.

i hope you do decide to build your ODST. i would recommend starting off with the helmet. helmets were my first project , and even though it may take longer or be more difficult than some of the other pieces, i think its a good start because when your done it will make you feel good, want to finish the armor ( hopefully) and if you for some reason want to quit after that, you have an awesome helmet and not a single shin or butt plate or something. good luck :D

Whelp... ditto.

These guys got the bases covered.

I would stress "use *SHARP* blades!!" When you cut, try to cut in one steady motion. Takes practice, but you're results will be umpteen times better.

Good luck!

Hey Michael, if you're fresh into the world of cosplay and are looking at getting your feet wet with an ODST I will always recommend AndrewDFT for the simple to follow, step by step instruction with good patterns and fun videos.

The only word of warning with his tutorials are that they aren't exact game replicas but they're good to look at and will get the ODST vibe across.

PaiganBoi has recently made an awesome ODST that follows the Halo 3: ODST files from The Armory and is a good wealth of information for an ODST foam build.

If you want to go with a more durable and very accurate kit build, the Sean Bradley kits are fantastic with the only downside is that they're one size fits most and they require a bit of tweaking to fit some people.

Best advice I can give is...
DO LOTS OF RESEARCH

and i don't mean on patterns and stuff i mean on foam cutting and getting clean folds and things like that. an example is my pep things are warped because I didn't research hardening and had no supports in the pieces.

i hope you do decide to build your ODST. i would recommend starting off with the helmet. helmets were my first project , and even though it may take longer or be more difficult than some of the other pieces, i think its a good start because when your done it will make you feel good, want to finish the armor ( hopefully) and if you for some reason want to quit after that, you have an awesome helmet and not a single shin or butt plate or something. good luck :D

Whelp... ditto.

These guys got the bases covered.

I would stress "use *SHARP* blades!!" When you cut, try to cut in one steady motion. Takes practice, but you're results will be umpteen times better.

Good luck!

Thank you guys! I'll be starting my ODST during thanksgiving break. I purchase Andrew's template in August and bought some eva foam. Also one more question, how to do I harden the armor? And how does one make halo weapon props?

If you want to harden EVA armour you can use Epsilon Pro to stiffen it. The one downside is that you lose the benefit of being able to compress and flex foam when wearing or packing your armour.

Also as for hardening foam....you will loose a lot of details. You could use craft foam for some of them but for multi-level detailing you have to plan in advance. And like PaiganBoi said, foam is too flexible and cracks will form

I wouldn't harden it. I started out thinking that too, but now I like eva because it is cheap, readily available, easy to work with, yet it is flaxable, durable, forgiving, and really convenient. It doesn't need to be hard. For props, start with the base shape, and slowly build up on top of it. Like a cake

There's a type of spray that when applied on foam, slightly stiffens the surface providing a protective coating but still allows some flex. it doesnt ruin any top coats of paint (atleast in my attempts) thr downside is that it leaves a hammered metal or worn like finish that can be sanded down (imperfect) Its a plumbing sealant and i belive nowadays the equivelant is flexseal spray?

Oops i thought this was a current thread, my bad, soz for necro post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back