Halo Reach Custom Spartan w/ FOAM - First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but I'm curious: any particular reason why you went with the female handplates instead of the male plates?

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but I'm curious: any particular reason why you went with the female handplates instead of the male plates?

This was asked before -
question, if you are male why did you use the female handplates?
I like the female handplates a lot more, they look cooler, as well as look lighter weight, which is what I'm going for with my spartan. (More of a recce, fast moving, lightweight style)
Hope that helps.

Is it just me or do the boot guards look slightly large? Reguardless amazing work this is a fantastic suit of armor and it dies look fast/recce

The neck seal looks great - and that belts awesome,Very handy. Its pretty annoying when you have to have someone else carry your stuff, I've ran into issues with that wearing my storm trooper armor.

AWESOME! another finished suit! VERY NICE!!!!

Thank you! Hopefully my next one will be as good as yours :D

Oh sweet, it came out awesome! The pouches are a good idea. I see more and more people trying to do something like that, it makes sense. But anyways! Weathering looks great as well, take more pics! You can never have too many photos.

I plan to have many photos, my friend is in photography so we may do a shoot in the snow (got loads of it here in Ottawa)

Is it just me or do the boot guards look slightly large? Reguardless amazing work this is a fantastic suit of armor and it dies look fast/recce

Yeah the boot guards are a bit big haha. Walking down stairs pushes the shin plates into them, there's already a few lines showing from the compression of the foam there. The boots are the parts I'm least satisfied with, so I'll be remaking them, hopefully a lot better. And thanks, good to hear that the suit looks lightweight, my 5'4" height helps with that too haha.

The neck seal looks great - and that belts awesome,Very handy. Its pretty annoying when you have to have someone else carry your stuff, I've ran into issues with that wearing my storm trooper armor.

Thanks man, the pouches were a quick thing to make, and I really didn't want anyone to have to carry my stuff for me.

Thank you! Hopefully my next one will be as good as yours :D

:D Its not about how good the suit looks, its about how good it makes you feel :D and to be honest, your suit looks pretty darn good :D

Let me know if I can be of assistance in the future. I am planning on building a "safe" in which to store my armour. Something that has been mentioned in Ghost of Onyx etc but no picturs so I am going to come up with a UNSC design :D

This was asked before -

Hope that helps.

Ah, ok. Must have missed that post. Can somewhat understand that logic, and have considered using the female variants on certain pieces, like the forearms and biceps, because of my lanky arms.

Did you sew the neck seal together? Or is it something you found? If you have a pattern for it that would be awesome!

Did you sew the neck seal together? Or is it something you found? If you have a pattern for it that would be awesome!

I actually glued it together using hot glue. Problem is, vinyl doesn't bond to hot glue, So I switched to a product called "Shoe Goo" I will eventually sow one, unless the Goo holds it together. Sorry, I can't remember which thread I found the neck seal fie in, I'll PM you if I come across it again.

Alright, so the con is done, as is my weekend (sad face). I had a blast. Got a lot of people asking for pictures, and met another 405th member who had amazingly detailed and clean armour, and a sweet needler. I expected to have problems, and so brought my hot glue gun. Good idea. My belt came apart at the glue seam (not enough glue, too much weight from wallet and phone as well) and my left boot also starting coming undone. (maybe due to going from -5 Celsius to 20 Celsius cause the glue to crack and fall apart. Or I didn't use enough glue. Again...) Anyways problem was an easy and quick fix, and I continued to enjoy the weekend. Here are some pics :D

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 199
great job i love the paint job it would be cool to see a lycra suit built under it to give it that futuristic under armor look

You are my hero with how quickly you did this, and how awesome it turned out. I can't wait to see what you'll do when you have more time to spend on it.

I apologize for the post necro, but I have a small update. But first, to answer some comments.

How much mobility do you have with the chest piece?

It's actually pretty good. It's fine as long as you don't go for extreme range of motion, but I can do the simple stuff to pose for photos.

Fantastic suit! Looks like an awesome con!

Thanks! It was a blast!

great job i love the paint job it would be cool to see a lycra suit built under it to give it that futuristic under armor look

Thanks, I love how the colour turned out!

You are my hero with how quickly you did this, and how awesome it turned out. I can't wait to see what you'll do when you have more time to spend on it.

I plan to really take my time on the next one. I'll be doing my best to make it clean, and approach it with the "it'll be done when it's done" attitude. I really want to re do this suit ASAP (stupid perfectionism) but I'm thinking of tackling some ODST armour first, then with the experience from that, take on Mk.2 of this suit. (still unsure if I will do Reach, as it is easier with foam, or the Halo 3 variant [Mk. VI I believe? Don't hurt me, it's been a while])

what files did you use?

Good question, I downloaded multiple versions of each part, and never wrote down the ones I used. (Facepalm)

great job on the armor

Thanks!

So, now for that little update. I have been revisiting the armour, as I do want to wear it to more than one Con, considering the time I put into it. BUUUT the perfectionist in me wants to fix it up/improve it as much as possible. There is a Con in a few months, but instead of setting a goal, I will do what I can in the time I have[among other projects in the works].

Here are a few pictures of a few simple things I added today. The knee pads were changed, because they rotated around (being attached to the pants directly). The attachment "part" looks thin, which is to go with the lightweight look I want. And I loved my Recon bucket so much, I couldn't help but embellish it a bit :D. I'm thinking of adding another antenna to the back of the module, when I get some more wooden skewers. Gotta enforce the Recon look. :p

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 178
It also has a moving slide that springs back into place thanks to an elastic.

It's so SIMPLE, how did I not think of ELASTIC as a solution?!?!?
I'm sitting here trying to work out trying to fit springs, batteries, and LEDs in and you just use elastic... Glad I saw this before starting mine, I might have to steal that idea haha.

In regards to your 1st update showing the chest
Here are some pics of what I've been grinding away at for the past few days. Took me a little longer to do, but I guess it's from the lack of experience with foam, and the fact that I had to make my own templates for some pieces, because the foam unfold files had some pieces that didn't seem to work for me.

Could you elaborate on what "didn't seem to work", I'm curious as to what you mean by it, and how you overcame the issue.
What file were you using for the chest?
Also, is that the male or the female chest?

I apologize for the post necro, but I have a small update. But first, to answer some comments.

You aren't necroing the thread since it is YOUR thread.

Also, I'm liking the helmet attachments!

I had some pieces that didn't quite fit for me (mainly cause I was a noob and didn't think of actually forcing foam into place) so I scratch built my own pieces, which were mostly the under arm parts that attach the front to the back, as well as some of the back pieces.

I can't remember which file I used, and for some reason I never wrote it down. but of the four I have in my folder, I believe it was the "Male Torso V4 Foam Stencil v2" from the 405th Database.

Also, I'm liking the helmet attachments!

Thanks! they look even better painted. Once I'm done with the updates, I think I may post up some pictures or version 1.5 of the suit.

I wish I saw you at Ottawa Comic-Con and whatnot. I'm starting to work on my 'Noble Six' now.

There is an entire group, the NCR Heavy Armour Group, that attempts on doing 'troops' around town completely kitted out as our Spartans. (Well right now I'm demoted down to Commander Shepard, but ehhhhh). Pretty sure if I talk to the guys they'll be more then welcome to add another Spartan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back