Props halo reach dmr

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSCGCobra043

I just finished making a halo reach dmr from a template I got online. It's my first build and I think it's pretty good despite that. I attached it below if anyone wants to see. let me know what you think. anything else I should do and all that
IMG_3314.JPG

Looks pretty solid for a first build. If you haven't already started painting, give those edges a bit of smoothing with sandpaper so that it's evened out and the body of the DMR looks like one uniform piece of metal/plastic. Also if you have any screws or bolts in your bits box it looks like you left recesses for them in the fine detailing and adding real hardware on will really help the whole piece pop I think.

Awesome first prop build, with a little more work put in before painting I guarantee that this will turn out to look fantastic.

Looks pretty solid for a first build. If you haven't already started painting, give those edges a bit of smoothing with sandpaper so that it's evened out and the body of the DMR looks like one uniform piece of metal/plastic. Also if you have any screws or bolts in your bits box it looks like you left recesses for them in the fine detailing and adding real hardware on will really help the whole piece pop I think.

Awesome first prop build, with a little more work put in before painting I guarantee that this will turn out to look fantastic.
What kinda sandpaper do you suggest? I got some, like, super fine stuff but it's not really working. 2000 an drew 1500 grit

What kinda sandpaper do you suggest? I got some, like, super fine stuff but it's not really working. 2000 an drew 1500 grit
For 3D prints I usually cycle through 60/80/220/400 if I'm going from something really rough to a mirror finish so I don't know if 2000 or 1500 is really necessary for your material. Start with something more aggressive and work your way to finer grit. Is that EPS or XPS sheet that you've built your DMR from? If it's XPS, I pretty much lived on 220 for my Fuel Rod Cannon done in XPS and with a coat of gesso everything came out looking awesome.

TSCGCobra043 Great job on the DMR.......what material did you use to build it with?.......because it looks strangely familiar to me.

IMG_0277.JPG

And if it is what I think it is.....sanding is not the way to go. I'll tell you why after you confirm.

For 3D prints I usually cycle through 60/80/220/400 if I'm going from something really rough to a mirror finish so I don't know if 2000 or 1500 is really necessary for your material. Start with something more aggressive and work your way to finer grit. Is that EPS or XPS sheet that you've built your DMR from? If it's XPS, I pretty much lived on 220 for my Fuel Rod Cannon done in XPS and with a coat of gesso everything came out looking awesome.
it's foam core poster board and the reason i want to go very fine with it is because theres glue in the sides of it and I dont want to mishape it

it's foam core poster board

Ah. That's the part I missed. Guess I should have looked closer at the image. Yeah, no amount of sanding will fix that unfortunately. Apologies for leading you down the wrong path by assuming it was only a foam sheet and not foamcore.

So now it my turn to school you.......Foam-board will not sand, nor can you get it smooth in any way shape or form. The laminated paper prevents this and the foam will actually dip deeper in than the outer layer of paper giving it a concave appearance. I tried for hours to get is smooth but no luck. I took thin craft foam and covered all of the exposed areas that showed all of the layers. I know you can't see it clearly, but the entire perimeter of the body of the DMR has craft foam covering it. Even the bottom of the magazine, hand guard (in and out) and the grip. Use contact cement and not hot glue. Hot glue will leave lumps in the foam. Again, exp talking.
IMG_0332.JPG

So now it my turn to school you.......Foam-board will not sand, nor can you get it smooth in any way shape or form. The laminated paper prevents this and the foam will actually dip deeper in than the outer layer of paper giving it a concave appearance. I tried for hours to get is smooth but no luck. I took thin craft foam and covered all of the exposed areas that showed all of the layers. I know you can't see it clearly, but the entire perimeter of the body of the DMR has craft foam covering it. Even the bottom of the magazine, hand guard (in and out) and the grip. Use contact cement and not hot glue. Hot glue will leave lumps in the foam. Again, exp talking. View attachment 250580
is there a tutorial or something online where I can see how to this well? I'm a very visual learner so it would be super helpful if there was

From what I've seen, there are very few FB users........and 0 tutorials. I'll post some better pictures for you so you can get a better idea of what I am talking about. Tomorrow though.......at work right now.

sorry for the delay. I couldn't find a shot of it during assembly, and I'm having trouble posting pics right now but I'll get some new shots of my DMR for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back