Halo Reach Helmet mod

Nob1e Actua1

So I'm planning in making a Halo Reach Spartan with the recon helmet. However I was watching the Halo tv show behind the scenes. I noticed that they split the helmets at the visor. they were effectively able to eat, drink, and talk without completely removing the bucket. This is hopefully going to be a 3d print. I was wondering how likely this was ably to accomplish or who would be able to help me out with this problem.

The Nerdforge, Moe, and Galactic armory have Recon helmet stls. None are premodeled to seperate that way. However, you could use programs like Meshmixer and Orca Slicer to cut the model into your desired shape.

You could always print it then cut it.

If you want design help, I'm sure plenty of folks here have ideas.

I know Titlewave takes commissions and has been modeling his latest helmets in a similar fashion as the paramount+ show.

The Nerdforge, Moe, and Galactic armory have Recon helmet stls. None are premodeled to seperate that way. However, you could use programs like Meshmixer and Orca Slicer to cut the model into your desired shape.

You could always print it then cut it.

If you want design help, I'm sure plenty of folks here have ideas.

I know Titlewave takes commissions and has been modeling his latest helmets in a similar fashion as the paramount+ show.
i dont have the programs or the knowledge on how to do so. thanks for the info.

If you are going to be 3d printing, there is a good chance you will be using Orca Slicer regardless, so it will just be a few more steps to cut the model how you like.

PS, because my brain can't leave well enough alone, here is my suggestion on how to break down the helmet. Three different options for separation lines and red to mark magnet locations.
zevoymsr.png

Best of luck.

If you are going to be 3d printing, there is a good chance you will be using Orca Slicer regardless, so it will just be a few more steps to cut the model how you like.

PS, because my brain can't leave well enough alone, here is my suggestion on how to break down the helmet. Three different options for separation lines and red to mark magnet locations.
View attachment 345160

Best of luck.
YES! That is exactly how i would want it split. Thank you so much

Hey, I’m doing this exact thing on my Mark VI Silver Timeline build! I’m for sure not going to be able to explain this perfectly, but here was roughly what I did.

I loaded the file into Meshmixer, generated face groups and extruded the face groups at the places I wanted to make the splits out to make separate objects I could use to subtract from the original model. I then performed a Boolean subtract operation, leaving me with the back half of the model separated from a deformed front half of the model. I saved the back half as a new object and loaded the original file back up.

I did this process again, grabbing the next face group over, this left me with the front half of the model and a deformed back half. I saved the front half as a new file.

I loaded both the front and back halves into 3D builder, added two cylinder shapes I split in half at the seam line of the model, added holes for magnets, merged them with the front and back halves, and now I have a removable faceplate. I also added guiding wholes for a peg system but the magnets aligned the faceplate perfectly.
Frankly Built explains a similar process that I tweaked in this video: Link
After work I’ll take a look at Moe’s file and see if I can find a good place to break it up and if so I could try and get you something you could work with.

Edit: Doesn’t seem like there’s a good place to split it this way for Moe’s file unfortunately, the helmet is too smooth and there’s not a good face to grab and extrude. A couple creative plane cuts could get you most of the way there though,

Good luck!

Attachments

• B1357E60-3DCB-4FBF-9230-77B411FB6304.jpeg
    B1357E60-3DCB-4FBF-9230-77B411FB6304.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 0B2376B6-C5EC-47C5-965C-859325979E3F.jpeg
    0B2376B6-C5EC-47C5-965C-859325979E3F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • F7C0614D-A8C7-4664-BE62-0951B4B7D6DA.jpeg
    F7C0614D-A8C7-4664-BE62-0951B4B7D6DA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • EEC2E43F-5443-4BC6-A9FD-39CD64D7BBEC.jpeg
    EEC2E43F-5443-4BC6-A9FD-39CD64D7BBEC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back