Halo Reach ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Yeexsters said, a ruler (I prefer a metal one over plastic, from my engineering class days), and for the beveled edges, some sandpaper and a small sanding block. I found about 150 grit is a spot to start. Then jump to like 220 or so after. Anything higher and it really doesn't sand the foam that well.

I use a clear plastic ruler, I use it for almost every cut. It's extremely useful. Would definitely recommend a ruler of any kind over a pokémon-card.
Also, for using sandpaper, start off by using 100 or 120 grit. 80 grit can rip up the foam and make it look bad.

Thanks for correcting. I wasn't sure on the grits. :)

As far as cutting straighter, yes straight edges work. Also try not to use just the end of the blade. I try to use as much cutting surface as I can. It helps me cut straighter. But with his shins, that's one reason why I didn't do it his way. Slices were getting real thin and for me thin strips are harder for me to cut in thick foam.

9ebd69485ba0f60ee962a4e1d391c30b.jpg
this is the helmet I'll be building, much more detailed than DFT and it's still foam. Photo by Chiefwannabe

Attachments

• 9ebd69485ba0f60ee962a4e1d391c30b.jpg
    9ebd69485ba0f60ee962a4e1d391c30b.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 241
Ok not like anyone cares, but I did finish it for comic con and forgot about this post. For anyone interested in the final thing, this is the only picture I have on my of the suit. The helmet was the worst in my opinion, detailed but too small, and the visor was really messed up. Overall i'm happy with it and will be improving it for next year.

lelxd.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back