Halo: The Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

I'll give it chance. I did like Expanse that was a good show. Maybe things will turn around for it, we'll see. I'll keep coming back to the thread for updates.
I kinda liked it too. ;) Miss it more than I probably should admit to.
1650311132903.png

Wow. Episode 5 was REALLY cool and exactly what I was hoping for from a Halo show.

I still don't really care about the young rebel girl at all. Hopefully her story will pick up.

What did y'all think?

Banshees look as terrifying in the show as they are in game. My biggest question from this episode comes from how the huge UNSC ship (if anyone can give me the name of it that'd be cool) was so easily surprised and taken down. Is that just because this is early on in the covenant war and the humans still struggle to hold their own?

We finally got the see the needlers in action. The even super combined! WHAAT. So cool.

Kai losing her **** after being exposed to the realities of war sans emotional numbing felt pretty impactful. Not sure where they're going with this but I'm interested to find out. Kind of surprised that Chief didn't have some of these effects from removing his implant too.

Chief putting his boot through the sangheili was so good. The gore and effects were spot on.

Wow. Episode 5 was REALLY cool and exactly what I was hoping for from a Halo show.

I still don't really care about the young rebel girl at all. Hopefully her story will pick up.

What did y'all think?

Banshees look as terrifying in the show as they are in game. My biggest question from this episode comes from how the huge UNSC ship (if anyone can give me the name of it that'd be cool) was so easily surprised and taken down. Is that just because this is early on in the covenant war and the humans still struggle to hold their own?

We finally got the see the needlers in action. The even super combined! WHAAT. So cool.

Kai losing her **** after being exposed to the realities of war sans emotional numbing felt pretty impactful. Not sure where they're going with this but I'm interested to find out. Kind of surprised that Chief didn't have some of these effects from removing his implant too.

Chief putting his boot through the sangheili was so good. The gore and effects were spot on.
Episode 5 is my favorite episode so far with episode 1 in second.

I was assuming the same with that ship being so easily destroyed. That or just for dramatic effect.

So many cool parts in that last scene, loved what they added into it like the “energy daggers” I’ve been calling them.

So far the only thing I’ve really disliked about the show is Kwan Ha’s scenes and her character in general. That and all the butts they keep showing.

I liked episode 5. It made me nervous for episode 6 though.

I did think it was kinda ******** that the pioneer got wrecked so quickly, I mean, it died in the first minute of combat. Secondly, I disliked how chief tried to attack Halsey. I just dislike this whole "chief doubting and rebelling against the UNSC" thing. I think they introduced it too early. It's not as engaging as it should be bc we don't have a history with the characters. The lying seems almost trite and like not worth attacking her over.

I am worried for the next episode bc I feel like they are going to try to reprimand chief for bailing out of the warthog even though him being in the vehicle isn't going to do **** about a banshee slamming into it. They should chastise vannick and riz for being afk afterwards. Like I get it, they got rocked but also get the f up and fight.

So happy with the covenant! They all looked sooo good! Not as sold with the mini plasma swords wielded by jackals, but meh. Also not feeling super good about a warthog being jacked by a grunt. The brute was amazing. Blew my damn mind. Liked Kia's meltdown, and liked chief's meltdown (overkilling that elite). Although, again, makes me nervous for the next episode where we have to deal with the fallout from those meltdowns.

Like everyone I think Kwon is not a great part of the story. She's annoying. I feel like they should let her go join the resistance and then we can end her little story line. I initially thought she was destined to be a Spartan but now I kinda just want her to go away. Although, maybe she will be the first voluntary recruit to the Spartan program . If she finds that there is no resistance but is convinced that the UNSC will give her the chance to fight for madrigal, maybe she will sign up.

Also vannick is my hero. He's so damn funny. I would die for that man.

I think I just wanted some harmonious UNSC before all this internal conflict started. Like there's plenty of conflict and hardship just fighting the covenant and the insurgents. They could have set the stage a little better and then gotten into the whole "sketchy Spartan program backstory" thing. I suppose they don't know how many seasons they are going to get tho... Sad reality of how TV works today.

Also, when they said there were no files on the origin of the Spartan program! WTF?! at least make fake files, guys! Damn y'all suck at government cover ups! A lack of files is an obvious give away! Sloppy shut right there.

Idk if I was just in a weird mood on Thursday or what but I was absolutely glued to my phone watching the episode. I was at home too! I could have gone downstairs and watched it on my big ol TV but I just couldn't move. It was so tense. I'm gonna watch it again probably before the next one and take note of thoughts and whatnot.

Idk if I was just in a weird mood on Thursday or what but I was absolutely glued to my phone watching the episode. I was at home too! I could have gone downstairs and watched it on my big ol TV but I just couldn't move. It was so tense. I'm gonna watch it again probably before the next one and take note of thoughts and whatnot.
Dude you must have some eye sight. There is no way on Mars that I would choose to watch a show on my phone (iPhone 13max pro, at that) - when there is a 70" 4k screen just xx feet away. Then again I end up watching 2 1/2 times in the first 24 hours.
  • 5am - When I get up I can just watch it in peace, no family, no interuptions, ear buds in, captions on with no one complaining or asking questions or wanting to pause to go piss.
  • 6am - I tear that episode apart on my PC for screen captures.
  • That night or the next, watch it with my wife. This is where I'm glad I watched and studied ahead. Because she'll ask things like:
    • Wait, the Spartans have shields on their arms? Why haven't they used those before?
  • And if I had not already gone looking for "where did that come from?" I wouldn't have been ready with an answer.
    1651415609474.png

Last edited:
Dude you must have some eye sight. There is no way on Mars that I would choose to watch a show on my phone (iPhone 13max pro, at that) - when there is a 70" 4k screen just xx feet away. Then again I end up watching 2 1/2 times in the first 24 hours.

don't forget your spoiler tags.

s01e07 (05may2022)

Well... That's an hour I won't get back. When people go back and binge re-watch the show, this is the episode they'll just skip.

If this were a normal 22 episode show I would have figured "Fine. Got to have cost saving episodes in there someplace."
But when your season is 9 episodes, spending more than 10% of your total time allotment on ... well... not even the B plot line, but like.. C or D...
Really not thrilled.

I watch science fiction for science, not fantasy. Star Trek. The Expanse. Firefly. If I want to see magic mumbo jumbo I'll watch Harry Potter or Star Wars and the force. I had hoped the most mysticism we'd see here was with the Sanghili and how they turned the advanced science of some forgotten 'builder' species into religion. I really hope this doesn't become some paranormal light side versus dark side magic war.

Last edited:
my thoughts on episode 7.

Literally spoken in the show:
Kwan: We will meet again.
Soren: God, I hope not.

Halo is Science Fiction, not science fantasy.

my thoughts on episode 7.

Literally spoken in the show:
Kwan: We will meet again.
Soren: God, I hope not.

Halo is Science Fiction, not science fantasy.
Looks like you and I have the same view. (my comment above yours is along the same vein)

Looks like you and I have the same view. (my comment above yours is along the same vein)
very much so.

After this episode, I cannot believe anyone that uses the "alternate timeline" argument to defend the show. This is not even halo anymore.

Frankly I kind of enjoyed episode 7.

I absolutely dislike kwan and her whole chip on the shoulder annoying kid subplot, but I do like Soren. This episode had some good Soren action. I had seen a lot of negative press before watching the episode and honestly it wasn't as bad as the press. Yeah, it was fantasy noise but besides that you got some more insight into Soren and his pirate operation. Was it worth a whole episode away from the story that people care about? No, definitely not, but I am interested to see what happens now that Finch is dead. I honestly don't really remember what the point of the mystic women in the desert was but I enjoyed watching the chief wreck her **** over and over again. I still think shes destined to be a Spartan but not till season 2 or maybe 3 if they get that far.

What I really want is more Vannick - just Vannick being hilarious. Hopefully we can get back to the Covenant and the Spartans this week.
I think the halo universe has room for more than one thing. Yes the scifi tech and morality questions are great and OG Halo, but I think the universe is big enough for a little fantasy/mysticism. Star Wars does it better though and Halo should be careful to not be a cheap rip of other popular media.

I think the halo universe has room for more than one thing. Yes the scifi tech and morality questions are great and OG Halo, but I think the universe is big enough for a little fantasy/mysticism. Star Wars does it better though and Halo should be careful to not be a cheap rip of other popular media.

I notice you and I seem to be along the same lines on a lot - but this one I think comes down to how someone defines "a little bit".
To me-Just one guy's opinion: The Sanghili turning ancient tech into a religion is a little. Witches in the desert doing a visionquest like Luke in the cave seeing his father... that's the cross-over from sci-fi to fantasy that I'm not happy seeing here.
If they leave that stuff on the desert planet now that they are done with the Amazonian clan and get back to the A storyline and sci-fi I think that scene can be accepted as a heavy-water drug hallucination.

I notice you and I seem to be along the same lines on a lot - but this one I think comes down to how someone defines "a little bit".
To me-Just one guy's opinion: The Sanghili turning ancient tech into a religion is a little. Witches in the desert doing a visionquest like Luke in the cave seeing his father... that's the cross-over from sci-fi to fantasy that I'm not happy seeing here.
If they leave that stuff on the desert planet now that they are done with the Amazonian clan and get back to the A storyline and sci-fi I think that scene can be accepted as a heavy-water drug hallucination.
I agree. Idk what all is considered spoilers at this point so..

They absolutely need to NOT take it off of madrigal. I think it should be a part of that one particular culture and not permeate through the rest of the show. Although we already have some mysticism with the holy one and all the junk between the blond chick and the chief and the crazy guy on the rubble. And that mysticism seems like it's going to permeate...

I agree. Idk what all is considered spoilers at this point so..

They absolutely need to NOT take it off of madrigal. I think it should be a part of that one particular culture and not permeate through the rest of the show. Although we already have some mysticism with the holy one and all the junk between the blond chick and the chief and the crazy guy on the rubble. And that mysticism seems like it's going to permeate...
yeah
I'm okay with what the covenant is doing. They are using tech, but thinking its magic. The big maces being used to track genome anomalies is still a type of science. Its just fast, real time genetic sequencers by a very advanced but forgotten race. Its a scanner.

It gets a little more muddled when two people out of a billion seem linked. Given there are several billion more humans it stands to reason there are several more people capable of doing what they do. That's *WHY* the Sanghili were capturing humans and testing them like that convict.

So what does that imply? That at some point the humans will start widespread DNA data base comparisons now that they know the sequence to look for? If these two were linked... Does that mean the other 500 'sensitive' people also passed out and went into seizures? or is there also an element of proximity to the stone involved as well? Or is it just that John and blondie are siblings to be discovered later?

Frankly I kind of enjoyed episode 7.

I absolutely dislike kwan and her whole chip on the shoulder annoying kid subplot, but I do like Soren. This episode had some good Soren action. I had seen a lot of negative press before watching the episode and honestly it wasn't as bad as the press. Yeah, it was fantasy noise but besides that you got some more insight into Soren and his pirate operation. Was it worth a whole episode away from the story that people care about? No, definitely not, but I am interested to see what happens now that Finch is dead. I honestly don't really remember what the point of the mystic women in the desert was but I enjoyed watching the chief wreck her **** over and over again. I still think shes destined to be a Spartan but not till season 2 or maybe 3 if they get that far.

What I really want is more Vannick - just Vannick being hilarious. Hopefully we can get back to the Covenant and the Spartans this week.
I’ve got the exact same thoughts and actually enjoyed the episode some how. I’m hoping for more Silver Team in the last couple episodes in the season.

I’ve got the exact same thoughts and actually enjoyed the episode some how. I’m hoping for more Silver Team in the last couple episodes in the season.
Same here. Hopefully we've gotten the Kwan Ha storyline out of the way and can continue with the more interesting content.

Kwan's a fully fledged terrorist threat in the eyes of the UNSC now right? Literally taking out the garrison of soldiers and she's already being hunted. Not really sure where they will go with this one.

The one part I did like was seeing Sorin show just how effective a not-even-100% spartan can be when facing off with trained military personnel.

I was a bit confused when he got shot in the neck and was barely able to move but then in the next scenes they played it off more like a sore shoulder? Did anyone else catch that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back