Halo: The Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've still only seen episode one but have seen a lot of clips from the series including episode 8... I don't know if this was the call to make. If someone really wanted a sci-fi romance game adaptation Mass Effect would have been my suggestion. Potentially more backlash to bad execution as a good chunk of players have more then invested in that series. I must have gone through each game at least 5-8 times over now with new experiences and emotions for the characters each time. I was left just asking why this was a thing. I have no context to the scene but it felt very "off" to me.

Same here. Hopefully we've gotten the Kwan Ha storyline out of the way and can continue with the more interesting content.

Kwan's a fully fledged terrorist threat in the eyes of the UNSC now right? Literally taking out the garrison of soldiers and she's already being hunted. Not really sure where they will go with this one.

The one part I did like was seeing Sorin show just how effective a not-even-100% spartan can be when facing off with trained military personnel.

I was a bit confused when he got shot in the neck and was barely able to move but then in the next scenes they played it off more like a sore shoulder? Did anyone else catch that?
Yeah when Sorren is shot in the neck I actually was pretty upset, there would have been no way he made it alive after that but then he was just okay. Super weird scene but pretty cool explosions

So…Episode 8 was something

This episode certainly created quite the uproar from the community with “that” scene. I feel they could have done something else to build trust between the characters but here we are.

The rest of the episode was actually pretty cool in my opinion. Wanted to see more of the glassing of that planet, see some plasma beams coming down and stuff. An active glassing would be cool to see. The Zed protocol that has the rest of Silver team turn on Chief because he was compromised was a cool scene too. The fight was awesome, especially with Cortana’s help!

The ending was okay I suppose, Makee turns sides again after being prodded and realizing (again) that humans suck. She says bye to Chief and disappears in that dream world type area, but I’m assuming she doesn’t disappear irl. So I’d imagine she’s still a prisoner.

So overall I liked the episode and I’d say I’ll give it a 7/10, not that it matters.

I have so many issues with the show, they just throw everything cannon out the window, I don't want to get to deep into it cause I don't want to start ranting but its safe to say, I hope there is no season 2, costumes are cool at least.

I have so many issues with the show, they just throw everything cannon out the window, I don't want to get to deep into it cause I don't want to start ranting but its safe to say, I hope there is no season 2, costumes are cool at least.
The series was already renewed for a season 2 before it came out. Not sure why or how any of that works but it is what it is. Costumes are pretty cool, and I really like the covenant too.

Yeah I honestly liked this episode less than 7.
definitely could have done without the sex scene. From a practical standpoint there is no reason to think either of them know literally anything about sex... Like that it's even a thing... Secondly I find it kinda dumb that getting the chief D made her switch sides and decide that humanity was ok after all... Seems like a pointless and unrealistic storyline that they then undid at the end. Like why bother? They could have filled that time with glassing footage or a covenant battle -ya know things people want to see...I thought the fight scene was cool between the Spartans but I just hate to see my boy Vannick fighting the chief. Glad that Cortana figured out her allegiance and glad Miranda finally figured out that makee was a bad person. I find it hard to believe the two times that Makee ignited her finger sword that nobody noticed it...feels like it would stand out. Not my favorite episode. I hope the finale is good bc I feel like they have a lot of ground to cover in the last episode that it might feel kinda rushed. Maybe we will meet Sgt. Johnson tho that would be exciting!

Still like the show and curious to see where they go with it.

Yeah when Sorren is shot in the neck I actually was pretty upset, there would have been no way he made it alive after that but then he was just okay. Super weird scene but pretty cool explosions
When he was hit in the neck I was so worried that was the end. Then he just walks away fine, it made no sense but I mean he put that raggedy but of cloth on it to stop the bleeding so, ya know, he's good.

I just feel like with the show, in trying to make the show more open for people new to the franchise, they certainly closed off the show to only a select kind of viewer. And that really frustrates me, as someone who has loved the series for so long.

There's been SPARKS of genius and cool moments, but those ~20 - 30 minutes overall out of the 8 hours at this point doesn't bode well for the continuation of this series.

In case anyone else was still confused.. There is no canon from this series outside of this series. It is its own timeline so they're not really breaking canon. Just take it at face value and I think you'll actually enjoy it a lot.

Yeah I honestly liked this episode less than 7.
definitely could have done without the sex scene. From a practical standpoint there is no reason to think either of them know literally anything about sex... Like that it's even a thing... Secondly I find it kinda dumb that getting the chief D made her switch sides and decide that humanity was ok after all... Seems like a pointless and unrealistic storyline that they then undid at the end. Like why bother? They could have filled that time with glassing footage or a covenant battle -ya know things people want to see...I thought the fight scene was cool between the Spartans but I just hate to see my boy Vannick fighting the chief. Glad that Cortana figured out her allegiance and glad Miranda finally figured out that makee was a bad person. I find it hard to believe the two times that Makee ignited her finger sword that nobody noticed it...feels like it would stand out. Not my favorite episode. I hope the finale is good bc I feel like they have a lot of ground to cover in the last episode that it might feel kinda rushed. Maybe we will meet Sgt. Johnson tho that would be exciting!

Still like the show and curious to see where they go with it.
I thought it was a bit odd at first too. It took me by surprise and felt very rushed and dumb initially... but then I thought about it from their perspectives more. She has been the only human she's known for decades, but she feels connected to John through the artifacts. John has just had his whole world flipped upside down with removing the chip and finding out all about Halsey abducting him so he's just trying to find something to hold onto that's real. It's not too far of a leap then that they would grab onto each other as fast as they did. That said, I'm not really watching this show for a love story and would rather they had left it being platonic.

The spartan on spartan action was so cool. Cortana jumping in to help John was a nice way to strengthen their trust and develop that relationship.

Whatever the thing is that they used on Makee to subdue her did not look very effective. Pretty sure a modern-day tazer would've done a better job.

I wish John wore his armor a bit more. If Kai didn't take off her helmet she wouldn't have been overpowered so easily.

Still loving the show. I'm sad it isn't very long. Confused as to why so many Halo fans hate it to the point of wishing it didn't exist. This show literally got me back into the game and now I play infinite daily. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and that's got to be good for Halo, right?

I can understand how some concepts of the show had to be changed to make it adaptable to camera. I get that, and up until Ep. 08 I had been okay with some of the stuff in the show and thought it was ok. Not exactly the Halo I know, but okay enough to watch. The last episode has almost completely turned me off to the show and has nearly crushed any hopes I had that it might turn out better. Who knows, maybe season 2 will be better.

I can understand how some concepts of the show had to be changed to make it adaptable to camera. I get that, and up until Ep. 08 I had been okay with some of the stuff in the show and thought it was ok. Not exactly the Halo I know, but okay enough to watch. The last episode has almost completely turned me off to the show and has nearly crushed any hopes I had that it might turn out better. Who knows, maybe season 2 will be better.
I'm with you on hoping, but I don't see it happening sadly.

I’m glad I haven’t been watching it to be honest. I look at it as just a bad fan fiction, and not the halo story I know and grew up with.

One can only dream for Blur Studios to release a full animated movie in the future…

So... Eps s01e09... Season finale...
In no particular order

1. Was happy to see Makee killed. For no other reason than whether redeemed or not she was responsible for numerous UNSC deaths and even after maybe changing sides she still killed that MP when she didn't have to. AND now the Covenant doesn't have someone that can't activate an artifact if they find more.
  2. Kinda glad to see Halsey's lapdog dead - the little boot licker was just annoying.
  3. Ya know Halsey had to survive somehow, so that's no surprise.
    1. Interpersonal rift between Dad and daughter... yada yada...
    2. I'd really like to see Dr. Keyes actually take control of silver team. Or don't. Or Capt. Keyes should. Or don't. But this bit of letting them run on auto pilot seems contrary to military norms.
    3. I'd really like to see a little more "SEAL Team" planning and coordination taking place. There should be more intel gathering, threat assessment, assistive personnel assigned directly to this team as their support staff and so if they are so invaluable.
  4. I didn't see any kinda tech recording the stellar coordinates on behalf of the Sanghili, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening - maybe built into the flying thrown chairs. Numerous Spartan helmet cams plus Cortana were just recording as a mater of course for recording everything all the time especially in battle.
    1. Combined with having the artifacts this should put the Humans ahead in the race to find the Halo.
  5. Ummm... If Cortana could remote pilot the Condor all along, why didn't she do it earlier? Hell the engine wash could have blow the enemy off the mountain just like the Artifact pulse did. And of course: Gunship.
  6. Cortana is a fast thinking computer program with lots of data, right? So what's with this bit where she says "I don't detect any enemies" etc.? She doesn't have sensors beyond what she she can hijack. So the armor, or the ship. Meaning she shouldn't have any more idea of what's physically around her than MC does looking at his HUD. Right? I mean if the armor can detect it its going to feed to his HUD. If the ship can detect it like a recon drone its going to feed to the team. That's the way a high-end connected unit like that works. So is she just being a voice to what is on screen?
  7. Maybe drop in with a couple A.I. sentry guns with a couple thousand rounds each? Like that cut scene from Aliens? Drop in quiet, set up a defense corridor that kills anything that's not a UNSC Spartan. Then the team can do their thing. Seems like 50 other ways some actual military planning could have gone a long way here.

Thoughts?

Season finale! Woo!

I thought the finale was pretty good. I feel like it set a lot up for next season. I think they were able to do that because they already knew they had a second season so the finale was less exciting finale-ish but did a lot of exciting setting up. Although it did have it's fair share of exciting.

In no particular order.
I loved when the creepy scientist dude died. I really didn't like him. Also I really liked how Halsey "escaped". The action was exciting and I liked seeing more covenant stuff but they are just so inconsistent about the weapon power. Like 3 needles super combined and killed an elite... Maybe those elites didn't have shields but that feels a little too OP. And was that a charged plasma pistol that exploded the rock wall and rocked Vannick? Let's assume fuelrod...I agree with SgtSaint that it seems like Cortana should have brought the gunship in earlier as it was able to mow down elites and brutes like they were nothing. Pretty glad to see Makee die bc she was a bad person and at least this way she didn't have to suffer the betrayal of the prophets.

I also agree with SgtSaint that the Spartans approach seemed completely unplanned and illogical. I mean I know time was an issue but damn no recon or contingency plans or even looking at a damn map for a second? Like, I know your all badasses but you can't just casually roll into a battle like that, and a spec ops military unit never would. I'm gonna assume they just cut the planning scene to meet time restraints. Still their plan was kinda bad although was reminiscent of how I play halo games so...

I hope we get to see Miranda take charge of silver team. I think she's developing well and will continue to grow as a character. I also hope that they bring back the chief bc it's much more interesting to have him work with Cortana than just have him be a silent robot. Remember Cortana believes that his humanity is worth fighting for and preserving. Also I don't see how the character could continue to be interesting if Cortana is just in control all the time...

I honestly didn't like kia that much but she has grown on me. I was really happy when she crawled out for the wreckage of the pelican. It does seem inconsistent that she can survive a ship crash and firey explosion but Vannick got taken out when a rock exploded near him. He seems to have a glass jaw... Except when fighting the chief. In that fight he was unflappable.

Other random thoughts in no particular order:

Was that a suppressed sniper shot?

The Spartans should have secured their gear in the pelican the first time a big jolt knocked everything over, but instead they just put it back on the table lose. Did you not realize it was going to happen again?

Why was Kia's sniper rifle in pieces anyway? It didn't look like she was cleaning it...

I wonder if the other Spartans will eventually remove their hormone pellets?

Damn Vannick sweats a lot.

I feel like season 1 was almost a preamble to the show... Like it set stuff up and introduced characters. It got all the stuff everyone disliked out of the way and put them in a position to make season 2 basically what the game fans wanted. They are perfectly poised to have more UNSC-covie action. Less self-discovering journeys and finally some halo ring stuff!

Also pretty glad I didn't have to see Kwon in this episode.

Bro chiefs ammo count is 5 then he fires 4 shots it goes down to 4 he fires another 3 shots it goes down to 2 what the hell
Saw that too. But want to go back and view it at 1/4 speed to see if I spot a rapid reload that's hard to miss at 1:1 speed.
1652997656711.png

Man, this episode was okay, but there was so much googly moogly going on I couldn't help but cringe a little bit. Like that part where the elites just for no reason stop charging to protect their literal Prophets while Chief takes a little dirt nap

Just started a rewatch because why not? Since they knew they were going to have a second season, I wish they had spent more time establishing a positive relationship between John and the UNSC. It would have made the betrayal a little more significant and given us some more awesome fight scenes. I wish shows (in general) didn't start off with ground-shaking conflict like this because it just isn't as compelling, and gives the show a negative tone instead of a positive one. I always felt like Halo was a very positive tone with dark themes hiding in the background. I also feel like the covenant war would have been a good enough conflict to make season 1 exciting without all this John self-discovery and UNSC betrayal stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back