Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i have an odd question, I plan to make my ODST armor out of BMX and a helmit kit if i find one, but where can i purchase a silenced SMG kit?

riderkid98 said:
hi, i have an odd question, I plan to make my ODST armor out of BMX and a helmit kit if i find one, but where can i purchase a silenced SMG kit?

405th.com and it's forums do not sell armor or props. After participating in the community for a while your account will be unlocked to an extra forum called Classifieds. Only in the classifieds section discussion of this allowed. As for now, I suggest building your own using the resources we have provided for free here in the forums. This craft is 70% reading 30% doing.

Cheers,

Kensai

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamstar said:
My wife wants me to make armor for Halloween, and I’ve never done this before.

I’ve already looked over the noob places here on the site and I think that cutting the parts out of polystyrene and then coating them in Easyflo 120 will be the quick solution to a quick/cheap costume and then later I can start making her a decent one with casting.

I’ve already started sketching out the parts.

gallery_1_63_23467.jpg

And I’m cutting out to size panels in… well, folders

gallery_1_63_60175.jpg

Time is short, money is tight, fun to be had.

So my main question(s) besides everything…

Anyone know where a good place is to get cheap polystyrene boards in St. Paul MN?

Anyone know how to make a homemade hot cutting knife for said boards (I’m pretty sure I can whip one up if not)

Anyone know where I can buy Easyflo 120 in the St. Paul area?

Thanks

I don't know where you can get easyflo but you can get HIPS plastic from any sign shop almost. All you need to do with it is keep an eye on it stick it in the oven till it's flexible pull it out and cut with a exacto.

how would i go about fiberglassing the ridges on my c.q.b helm just the traditional fiberglass and resin sandwich or could i fill it upp with resin then fiberglass over top?

I'm starting on the Mark VI boots, I read a loooooong time ago about putting shoes on the inside, and something about Plungers, I can't fine the exact thread I'm looking for. It had like a shopping list of things to get. Any who, what i'm asking is either, do you know where that thread is, or how do I go about building the Boots?

I have a question on resining pepakura models. Is the resin meant to harden the paper model, or in other words, add rigidity to the model so that its no longer soft and flimsy? I've been using polyester resin(fibreglass resin is unavailable in my country, so I went for the next alternative) on a few test paper models. However, the models remained as flimsy as before. Am I doing something wrong?

lightzz. this is the little i know of making armor :pwell your suppost to resin the outside. maybe 1nce or 2ce. its a bit sturdier but notmuch. then you fiberglass the inside. the cloth or mat. i prefer the cloth but thats just me.

so if wut i read is true then your not doing anyhting wrong you ust have to fiberglass the inside of the helmm too, hope this helps.

ok so yeah i am new but instead of being called a noob can i be called a prospect or a recruit? haha but yeah currently im working on odst armor im starting with the helmet but it didn't come with the visor so yeah i was wondering does anyone know a certain person who can either sell me a visor or send me a link to a visor tutorial that doesn't involve vacuum-forming?

Hello, im trying to make an ODST helmet. i downloaded the newest version of Pepakura designer, but it doesnt seem to have the "scale by factor" option. when i did the calculations and entered it into the "scaling" area, it said the model would be like 20mm wide. Is there something im missing? do i need an earlier version of pepakura?

Hello. I was taken here by the BFX building video that recommended this site for armor making questions. I am not making halo armor, per-say, but I am trying to bring an armor creation to life! The design itself is simple, it's merely 2 pauldrons and a breast plate. However, the pauldrons are the most complex piece of the armor and I require help and recommendations as to what materials to shape it with (I hope to make the final product our of foam so it is light weight, because the pauldrons are rather large and I plot to use this armor for performing guitar and singing on stage)

Here is my reference for the pauldrons: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/Druox/Stage Costume/druoxTHESHREDDERRRR.jpg

So I have a few questions:

I've never done something like this before, and I will not only work on it diligently, but will dedicate myself to finishing it when I have a good technique for creating it =D What technique do you recommend?

Also: I would like to know if I should shape it out of paper or cardboard? I've seen some amazing pieces made of cardboard, and I've also seen amazing pieces made of paper, but I am unsure while would be best to go with if I plot to mainly use foam for the final product.

Is there anyone here who is experienced in working with foams for sculpting? What do you recommend I do to shape this head before the carving? Cut the foam into little lengths or make a big block and see if I can sculpt it from that?

Above all: I know I need blueprints, and I have no idea how to create them for this kind of shape. Can anyone help me design the blueprints?

I hope my questions aren't over-whelming, but I'm EXTREMELY interested in the realm of costume and armor creation. Above that, I really want to make this armor :) Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm a noob and i don't write like hey watch u doin and i read over the stuff that i need to read one more thing i know i sound like a noob saying that i don't act like one

xXSTICKXx said:
lightzz. this is the little i know of making armor :pwell your suppost to resin the outside. maybe 1nce or 2ce. its a bit sturdier but notmuch. then you fiberglass the inside. the cloth or mat. i prefer the cloth but thats just me.

so if wut i read is true then your not doing anyhting wrong you ust have to fiberglass the inside of the helmm too, hope this helps.

Thanks, it does help. :) I've been on the resin stage for some time because I thought something was wrong and didn't want to go further. I'll give it a go.

I do have one more question in this case. What would you do for peps which do not have any access to the inside portion once completed, such as weapons? How do we fibreglass the inside?

Well I've yet to see anyone do it, but there's 2 way.

First. You resin the exterior. You place your object tightly in something so it keeps it shape. You cut in half on the lengh and you fiberglass both halves before gluing them back together.

2nd. Cut 2 hole in the back of your piece. Pour either plastic resin in, or a mixture of resin+bondo (rondo) inside and roll it all around. As if the paper was your mold and you were casting in it. The second hole is for the air to go out when you pour in so keep it clear of plastic ;)

Upchuk said:
Hello, im trying to make an ODST helmet. i downloaded the newest version of Pepakura designer, but it doesnt seem to have the "scale by factor" option. when i did the calculations and entered it into the "scaling" area, it said the model would be like 20mm wide. Is there something im missing? do i need an earlier version of pepakura?

Try finding Pepakura 2.17

Hey, im trying to scale my first MkVI helmet, the formula is my height(71inches) divided by 86, then you multiply that number by _______? what do i multiply it by? the current scale? of the file im trying to scale? thanks for the help

It's easier if you just figure out your head dimensions in one direction in metric (adding a few cm for padding/fiberglass) and just use that number. The rest of the dimensions will snap into proportion. The only number I wouldn't advise using is the depth (z axis if you're looking at the front of your head) because the MC helmet leaves more room on that axis than on any other. Use either the width of your head or the height (and be sure to check and double check your dimensions against one another to make sure it fits)

Consult this thread for further info/other scaling techniques

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20044

Good luck!

Good morning to one and all.

Everyone here does not know me at all. The topic of this form is why bother with threads. I have done many dumb things in my life. These little threads of information they give us, are quite valuable. And will save a lot of time and effort. Here is an excellent example. I have made frame molds in the past for lost wax casting. I know a lot about making frame molds. He but not how they make molds here. Most of the techniques are quite similar some are extremely different. More instance I never used registration keys. And the ball material was somewhat different and it was referred to as room temperature vulcaniz, or as our rtv. So these threads will give you most of the terminology used and how it used.

Last night it in hour or longer. But I watched to threads from beginning to end on mold making on the Ithaca site. It was most informative on all the materials. And how they're used not just on making the molds. I would like to complement the gentleman I cannot remember his name right now. For making the videos. An answer a lot of my questions of boring and asked them. Now I need to find a thread that is as good on the best materials. For making the helmets and armorers themselves.

Of all the mediums that I have worked with paper is the easiest. But make no mistake it can be the most frustrating to work with. Here is an excellent example. These sites will be listed under my profile as to where you can find them. I have many paper models of the Apollo command module and lunar lander. The bridge of the enterprise from Star Trek the master Ray from Godzilla and F104 Apollo Saturn five and touchpad and my prize at US as discovery from 2001 space Odyssey Theatre made all of card stock. I had no or very little information on how to construct these models. With the exception of the bridge.

Oh one the last thing I am a dyslexic, and I am using a text to speech program called Dragon NaturallySpeaking. So if there is an incorrect word in a sentence I didn't see it

correction, speech to tax program

thank you

Threads that I am looking for. Building a paper helmet and armor, working with the different types of residents, different painting techniques, working with fiberglass. Working with the software. And the occasional short movie or video that someone has made them ever produced. One or two

ok so lets say hypothetically, i have my fully glued and ressined helmet. What gives the armor the smooth look, instead of in looking like folded paper?

teh bondo

Question: how do I get those little number guides on pep pieces? I want to try to build something, but there's no numbers. What function do I use to get those on there?

@ Amp: Like Boba Fett said, use bondo to smooth over the folds on your helmet. You can find bondo at any automotive store, or in the automotive department at Wal-mart.

Be sure to carefully read the directions on the packaging, and obtain the proper safety equipment (ie. respirator) before starting your use of the bondo. The fumes are very harmful if inhaled.

Apply the bondo in thin layers, as that will save you having to do excessive sanding. You'll need more than one layer of bondo on the helmet, in order to properly smooth/round out the surface.

@ Boba Fett: I haven't used Pepakura Designer in a while (haven't printed out any Pep models recently), but if I recall correctly you go to the "Configuration" tab at the top of the screen. It's the second-last one on the far right.

Select "Edge ID Configuration" third down in the list. A small pop-up window will come up, with two check boxes, the first one labelled "Show Edge ID". Check that box. You will see a drop-down box beneath that labelled "Font Size".

Select the font size you want, then click "OK". That should put the numbers on the tabs when you print it out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back