IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

Wow! That looks excellent. For future reference, how did you achive the chipped paint effect? (Sorry if I shouldn't ask questions here, I am still new here. If you prefer, you can PM me.)

-OGGY

Wow, that looks amazing. There's not much to say, there's few words that can describe how awesome that looks.

What paint did you use for the brass/bronze color on the helmet?

haha thanks everyone!

the chipping/weathering was done with latex masking and a layered paint job, you can kind of see where/how i did it in the previous pictures.

the bronze is Design Master and just called plain old bronze. Its nice and bronze without too much metallic or flakes (which have no business on an ODST)

Brah, dat is frigging AWESOME!!! Wea you from in Hawaii nei? I'm from Hauula and my all my sistahs still live ova dea!!! GREAT JOB!!!! Oh, if you need some paint brah, tell me and I can find some down ova hea in Louisiana. K-den!!

Loving the custom design you painted. It looks great. You did an amazing job with the weathering. And could you elaborate a bit more about the weathering. I see the spot in the first few pic where it looks like you brushed on a bit of latex. But what kind of latex did you use?

Anyway great job. Can't wait to see your build. Your friend did a great job on his.

Kirrou said:
Loving the custom design you painted. It looks great. You did an amazing job with the weathering. And could you elaborate a bit more about the weathering. I see the spot in the first few pic where it looks like you brushed on a bit of latex. But what kind of latex did you use?

Anyway great job. Can't wait to see your build. Your friend did a great job on his.

basically you just have to think backwards on the weathering.

you paint the first layer and then brush on latex "Art Masking fluid" is the official name if you were to go ask for it at the craft store.

then you paint on your second layer color, and expand on the current masking locations or add new ones.

Then paint the top coat. once it dries you need to use something to scrape the latex off with. i used the plastic clay sculpting tools. and it makes a MESS so make sure you do it outside or something. (you could do as many layers as you want but for this one i just did the 3 pictured and then the markings)

id be happy to help with any other questions, its really not that difficult, but im glad all of you like it !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude sweet job you live in Hawaii? Has your friend ever tried smoothcast 320 I am working with that stuff and will be shortly applying some fiberglass good stuff lol

i actually cant get any smooth-on products out here without sending them through my freight forwarder(HAZMAT). Like i said before this was his first attempt at actually making a helm. and my first paint-up. i gave him my portions of the DARE armor that ill be doing up for my GF and he actually got some small files to do details and proper attachments for his dremel so the next one should be WAY nicer. (we hope)

and lastly yes, im in Hawaii, Oahu to be exact

Nice man, its very impressive. Ive always prefered the ODST armour to the cheif in a way. Looks more serious and edgy if you get what i mean, and more 'real'?

Artek said:
basically you just have to think backwards on the weathering.

you paint the first layer and then brush on latex "Art Masking fluid" is the official name if you were to go ask for it at the craft store.

then you paint on your second layer color, and expand on the current masking locations or add new ones.

Then paint the top coat. once it dries you need to use something to scrape the latex off with. i used the plastic clay sculpting tools. and it makes a MESS so make sure you do it outside or something. (you could do as many layers as you want but for this one i just did the 3 pictured and then the markings)

id be happy to help with any other questions, its really not that difficult, but im glad all of you like it !!

Hey thanks a lot. This clarified the few questions I had.

Im Loveing that paint job and helmet! you should make an amazing set of armor to go with.... or did someone say that already.... oh well! good job!

Artek said:
anyone know what exactly the markings on the rear/side of the ODST helm are for/mean?

ODSTHelmet-WetaCompare.jpg

I checked out the halo encyclopedia(yeah, I'm that big of a nerd.) and has no mention of the insignias you posted. I suggest creating a decal of the ODST unit insignia, "The Golden Comet!" Or there probably from some airsoft team or something like that. Other than that, the paint job is great! In the future I'll try that weathering technique.

yeah i just left it up to the owner as to if he wanted to add anything like that... thanks again forthe comments.. hope to have more to paint soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back