Helmet Paintball Bullet Test:awareness Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
wut about airsoft. im not planning on using it for airsoft, i was actually hoping i could use my airsoft gun to make battle damage and chip some paint. i dont want to ruin my helmet after finishing it :( as said earlier, an airsoft BB is a bit diferent than a paintball; mainly in weight and size. i would seriously like 2 c a vid of the armor getting shot. and thnx for the vids and makin me aware :) better to be safe than sorry, right? (and by a test video, maybe a piece of cardboard thats been resined and fiberglassed so a helmet isn't wasted in the process :) )

tomb-stone said:
(and by a test video, maybe a piece of cardboard thats been resined and fiberglassed so a helmet isn't wasted in the process :) )

i was thinking of doing something like that but i ran out of air before i could

did you test the resin-bonded armour from more than 10 feet (3 metres)? I was just wondering, because in most cases you won't be closer than 10 feet while you are playing.

i didn't really measure it but i did it at a distance that looked like normal shooting distance

Last edited by a moderator:
tomb-stone said:
wut about airsoft. im not planning on using it for airsoft, i was actually hoping i could use my airsoft gun to make battle damage and chip some paint. i dont want to ruin my helmet after finishing it :( as said earlier, an airsoft BB is a bit diferent than a paintball; mainly in weight and size. i would seriously like 2 c a vid of the armor getting shot. and thnx for the vids and makin me aware :) better to be safe than sorry, right? (and by a test video, maybe a piece of cardboard thats been resined and fiberglassed so a helmet isn't wasted in the process :) )

I highly doubt airsoft would be any better than paintball. No, don't even try it. You saw what happend with his helmet with PAINTBALLS, now imagine tiny, solid, bb's hitting your armor at about over 300 fps. I have a cheap $40.00 Wal-Mart clear spring airsoft pistol. It only shoots 280-300 fps. That's pretty low for an airsoft pistol, anyway, I'd thought I'd test out it's power with some ceramic plates that my mom was going to throw away, so I lined them up, and shot at them from 25 feet. Within taking about six shots, the plates formed a "spider leg" crack, and on the seventh shot, the first plate broke into large peices. Its not worth it, don't ruin a good set of armor. Like DarkFang said, "Leave your armor at home."

mmm. very informative thread. this really healps. i dont remember if this has been stickied, but it should be and posted in the noob forum so it can silence this once and for all. even though i was interested, id rather not A) damage my armor and B ) get injured while using my armor. but it should be stickied in the noob forum. thnx for the vid 2 :)

It's funny I ran acrossed this thread b/c last night me and my hubby were discussing D'Con and while I'm there him paying to get in to a seat at world poker series if he couldn't he would come to D'Con and harass nerds like me as he put it LOL. But yea he was wondering if it was possible to make bullet proof and fire proof armor which I mean with the right materials hard work and such it could be possible IDK maybe this will be my next task when I get some moola to make bullet proof fire proof armor.

Wouldn't it make more sence to take a hard plastic cast helm for paint ball and airsoft? i've been peping for a very short time, and even i know that a helm made from paper, (or card stock) epoxy, bondo, and fiber glass cloth is going to take some serious damage from any object moving at more than 300 feet per second. -__- ..... so rember kids, for paint ball and airsoft, hard plasic = good, pepakura = bad.

Caltown_ODST said:
Belakor is watching...... O___O and i watch back. (sry 4 stupid random post, i just had to ^__^ )

Glad to see you finally stopped trolling and learnt how to spell and use correct grammar.

However this is classed as not only a Spam and unnecessary post, But a Double post too.

SakuraKun said:
It's funny I ran acrossed this thread b/c last night me and my hubby were discussing D'Con and while I'm there him paying to get in to a seat at world poker series if he couldn't he would come to D'Con and harass nerds like me as he put it LOL. But yea he was wondering if it was possible to make bullet proof and fire proof armor which I mean with the right materials hard work and such it could be possible IDK maybe this will be my next task when I get some moola to make bullet proof fire proof armor.

So while cooking dinner I've been thinking more about this. What exact materials would it take to make detailed armor. That is bullet proof and fireproof. Guess this is my mission for the moment find material that can be made to make armor still with lots of detail and electronic kits and it still be bullet proof and fire proof. This may actually be really awesome if I can ever afford to build it.

Let me know if y'all think this is a stupid idea or an ingenious idea.

I personally don't Want to do this but maybe you could use Kevlar instead of fiberglass. It's not ultra expensive just a thought and good vid.

ok, seen many posts about this stuff, thankfully this guy is saying NO!

1. they are not bullets! paintball or airsoft, they are balls.

2. armor constructed on here is made to be a prop, you need to use the proper materials to make armor for paintball.

3. when having a costume like ours for paintball or airsoft, dont be stupid, make sure that you wear a proper ASTM certified mask inside your helmet! edit that, when ever you have a paintball or airsoft gun be wearing ASTM cert mask!

4. NEVER use a paint marker or aistoft gun when you are not on a insured field! it is ILLEGAL! this includes your own private property within city limits! you can and will be arrested for discharging a firearm!

now i have built some pieces of MC armor and tested during a pb event, got lit up pretty good and no cracks. then again i made it to withstand something being fired at 280fps/182mph. i was taking a very big risk with this. i could have been injured not testing it at my field first.

so any more noobs out there, unless you are using 3 layers of professionally applied carbon fiber matting, DONT DO IT!

hey guys, a friend and i had the idea to make the armor from a thin metal...

what do you think, should we start with this or leave it???

sorry for spelling mistakes, im german and still learning english :rolleyes

Underdogg13 said:
Good job explaining what happens when you try this. Maybe that'll put the people who want to make armor for paintball's thought to a halt.

hey there guys i loved the vid for i am an airsoft competitor. in airsoft my sl8 / g36 variant will fire 460 fps and my master cheif helm will take the blows. not to mention that my helmet laughs at paintball guns. i will make a tutorial for balistic rigidity when i have 110% confidence in my methods. this fellow in the vid is speaking a solid truth about projectiles and using a prop to stop them.

if you want to try something at home for strength in your gear try this.......

when fiber glassing the helm do one even layer then use masonary lath over top of that layer. this stuff is a metal mesh with 1/4 inch diamond hatch holes. when you have the mesh somewhat flush to the surface coat it in resin so the holes are filled with resin.

then if you want ,giver another fib glass layer and your set!

why does this work? the lath is designed to hold mortar and brick by its twists in the slats. works like little cups in a fish scale pattern. by filling these holes with resin it transfers force through the lath and evens it out.

once again im not 110 about this so if you do try it make sure your test subject under the helm is a post like the vid guy used. i have gone into battle with my gear but i have only been doing this pepakura stuff for like a month so i wouldnt take my word if i were you..... not yet at least.

im just providing options for gear strength.

james ferreira

ARCsaber987 said:
Who would be crazy enough to put all that work into their armour and then subject it to paintball in the first place? (Obviously a fair few people if this video was needed)

My thoughts exactly. I made a Marine suite of armor, but there was so much work and bondo on it I couldn't do it myself. Still survived after a buddy had fun with it.

I assume it's not needed to be said that paintballing in your armor made for conventions and comfort is a bad idea.

Just like sky diving in it, using it to block baseball bats, testing real bullets, using it for bear protection, as a fire suit, and more...

I have new Marine armor built for paintball. It works, reson: IT'S BUILT FOR IT.

I think costumers are as likely to shoot their armor, if it looks good, as they would use it for a bathroom.

It's just common sence.

I've read something along these lines but I just want to check. Would it be alright if I took a paintball helmet and attached cardboard to it. I am wanting to do this so it covers the back of my head(getting shot there is NOT fun :eek ) and I figure hot glued cardboard(the thick kind TV's come in) would flex rather than break, and if it does Oh well it did its job for a while at least.

As for heat stroke well there is than bulge in the back that I suppose I could put an ice pack in, then I just have to worry about getting enough fluids.

Paintball couldn't even scratch the clearcoat on my first helmet...

I haven't tried airsoft because I don't have toy guns but i'm 100% sure it won't do any more than chip paint off..

But I still want to test it out with a lead pellet from my Daisy Powerline to see the massive damage it will sustain. :)

How about laser gaming? I doesn't break your armor at all! The only annoying thing you'll encounter is that

sometimes the laser bents of into another direction lol.

Well done hun! I think 405th need a fresh reminder of this, especially to some of the younger members.

-Phi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back